ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extra Sponges....What To Do?

Default Re: Extra Sponges....What To Do?

I would always save anything you take out of a tank. You never know when you might need it and want to add it back on a tank.

Cleaning of sponges.......Marie, you ARE trying to start a heated debate aren't ya woman!! j/k Here goes.

We clean our sponge filters everyday under running tap water. We also pull the filter pads out on the back filters and rinse them off daily. (Not all tanks have back filters though). We have never had a problem but when we started doing this our fish really thrived. We also will take the sponge filters out of the tank and put them on top of the tank when we feed bh. This also keeps from the food collecting on them. It makes it alot easier to clean the tank when done also.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I've dried them out and even froze them.. They kick right back on in a few days...I too think they go "dormant" and once back in a tank with water and food, the bacteria starts up.

-al

I thought of the freezer too ~ I do not know why ~

Quote Originally Posted by AADiscus View Post
    I would always save anything you take out of a tank. You never know when you might need it and want to add it back on a tank.

Cleaning of sponges.......Marie, you ARE trying to start a heated debate aren't ya woman!! j/k Here goes.

We clean our sponge filters everyday under running tap water. We also pull the filter pads out on the back filters and rinse them off daily. (Not all tanks have back filters though). We have never had a problem but when we started doing this our fish really thrived. We also will take the sponge filters out of the tank and put them on top of the tank when we feed bh. This also keeps from the food collecting on them. It makes it alot easier to clean the tank when done also.

I knew you did! I always always remember what you and Andrew have taught me ~

I am going to rinse them ...there are so many ~ and store them perhaps in the freezer ~

Thanks Everyone!

Marie ~

You really must save the Odyssey filter for your new planted tank, remember? And you can place a lot of your sponges in the canister for media.

So now all you need is some live plants.

.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I think I am probably late on this one.. but I would probably just throw them away. But that is just me. I cannot stand having stuff sitting around not in use unless its baby stuff because I might (IN LIKE THREE YRS) have another baby lol but fish stuff.. I could not have it just sitting around. Thats why Larry had to get that driftwood shipped out on Friday.. lol
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

Quote Originally Posted by traco View Post
    You really must save the Odyssey filter for your new planted tank, remember? And you can place a lot of your sponges in the canister for media.

So now all you need is some live plants.
    I'm working on that one... Marie, when mine grow I've got some cuttings for you... LOL

Tina

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Yep. IME, the bio doesn't die, it goes dormant.
    if this is indeed the case, why havent aquarium supply companies seized upon this theory and come out with a dry-sponge product that would obviously be easy to make/store/ship/sell a complete, ready-to-go, biological filter solution for new tanks?

makes me wonder if its true...just an observation and i'm not necessarily saying its not the case, but...

Like I answered in my post there are dry products. Biozyme is one, maybe there are more bacteria in the liquid products.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...rbiozyme8grams

Tina

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co View Post
    I'm working on that one... Marie, when mine grow I've got some cuttings for you... LOL

Tina

That wld be nice Tina ~ Thanks ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12