ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Otto Controllers??

Real Name
    Brian

Default Otto Controllers??

I've taken the advise in this section and am trying to re-use the worthless fish killing Pro Heats by adapting them to an Otto Controller. So far so good, but the question I have is...

My controller is adapted to a 200w titanium element and is maintaining the temp perfectly. The only problem, or potential problem I see is that it has a "power" light and a "heater" light and the "heater" light is always on. When I manually reduce the temp then the light goes off until the tank temp matches the controller temp.

Is this normal activity for these controllers? Does the controller do more than just turn the heater on and off or does it maybe adjust the wattage being used in order to maintain a more even temp? I like this concept but am leery of the lack of a true power indicator...

Thanks for any info!!!

Default Re: Otto Controllers??

Jeep, I started using the Otto controller 13 years ago. The red light is an indicator that tells you when your heater is heating, like the pilot light on all heaters. If your red light is on continuously until you manually reduce the temperature on the controller, then it seems your heater is struggling to attain or maintain the higher temp that you have set on the controller. I don't understand what you mean by a "lack of a true power indicator." The controller does what its supposed to do, control the operation of your heater to maintain a stable temperature.

Connie
    Last edited by poconogal; 10-25-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Connie,

Yes, I have set the temp higher, as far as 93 so far, and it has maintained the temp perfectly at any setting I choose, but the heater light never goes off unless I manually adjust the temp to a lower setting.

Maybe I'll try another heater and see if I have the same thing happening. What I meant by a true power indicator is that I have seen no on/off activity. Just on... and I know the heater is not truly heating 24/7 because my fish would be cooked if it were..

So far though, I really like these controllers!!
    Last edited by jeep; 10-25-2006 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Thanks Connie,

Yes, I have set the temp higher, as far as 93 so far, and it has maintained the temp perfectly at any setting I choose, but the heater light never goes off unless I manually adjust the temp to a lower setting.

Maybe I'll try another heater and see if I have the same thing happening. What I meant by a true power indicator is that I have seen no on/off activity. Just on... and I know the heater is not truly heating 24/7 because my fish would be cooked if it were..

So far though, I really like these controllers!!
    Jeep, if the red light is on constantly then your heater IS running constantly just to MAINTAIN the temp you have set, unless you have a controller that is defective. If your heater is struggling to maintain a certain temp, that doesn't mean that your fish would cook. Your fish would only cook if the heater was capable of overheating your tank. If it has to heat constantly to MAINTAIN, then you need might a higher wattage heater or you need to lower your temp. If your heater was adequate for maintaining the temp you have set, it would cycle on and off and you would see the red light both on and off. That's how the Otto works. How many watts is your controller rated for? Is it the 500W controller? Then you can hook up to a 500W heater to it. What size is your tank? What temp do you have it set at? Where is your heater placed in relation to your temp probe and your filter, etc.?
    Last edited by poconogal; 10-25-2006 at 11:52 AM.

Real Name
    Brian

I know exactly what you are saying. I'm thinking this may be a defective controller because like I said, if I turn the dial up to 93, the heater maintains 93 even though the light stays on all the time. If I turn it down to 82, it maintains 82 and the light still stays on all the time. If the heating element were struggling to maintain 82 then it should not be able to boost the temp to 93 in a heartbeat.

I'll go ahead and try another heater to be sure, but I just wanted to verify that this is not normal.

Thanks for your input!!

I know exactly what you are saying. I'm thinking this may be a defective controller because like I said, if I turn the dial up to 93, the heater maintains 93 even though the light stays on all the time. If I turn it down to 82, it maintains 82 and the light still stays on all the time. If the heating element were struggling to maintain 82 then it should not be able to boost the temp to 93 in a heartbeat.

I'll go ahead and try another heater to be sure, but I just wanted to verify that this is not normal.

Thanks for your input!!
    Yes, if that's the case, it's definitely defective. That light should go on and off, and I'd return it for another one. Gee, I'm still using one that I bought 13 years ago! Just checking... do you have the heater itself set up to the max it can go?

Real Name
    Brian

Well, thats may be another issue. Not sure as this is my first use with an independant controller, but I cut the external controller off of the Won (it was fused on high) and spliced a male plug to plug into the Otto. The heating element should only do what the Otto tells it to do because there are no other adjustments.

I have a spare 300w glass heater somewhere thats intact. I'll try that and see if there is a difference.

Like I said, the performance seems to be great so far other than the light issue. Once I get comfortable I'll be using these on all my tanks!!

Well, thats may be another issue. Not sure as this is my first use with an independant controller, but I cut the external controller off of the Won (it was fused on high) and spliced a male plug to plug into the Otto. The heating element should only do what the Otto tells it to do because there are no other adjustments.

I have a spare 300w glass heater somewhere thats intact. I'll try that and see if there is a difference.

Like I said, the performance seems to be great so far other than the light issue. Once I get comfortable I'll be using these on all my tanks!!
    Yep, I love them. Never had a heater issue again after getting my Ottos.

Where did you get your otto controllers from? And pricing was good?

.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I've heard from others and I've used one myself that the Pro Heat is junk.

I owned one for 2 months before it just started failing with wrong temps and then just finally quit. Others I've spoke too have had bad luck with those units. I like the way it works (temp gauge on the outside) and looks if it only did work. I wouldn't waste anymore money on that brand again.
    29gal breeder,55gal (no plants, sand) - 2 juvenile red melons, 1 y.adult red melon, 1 y.adult super red melon, 1 adult Yellow Pigeon, 1 adult San Merah, 4 Blue Rams, 2 Ottos, 12 Cardinal Tetras, 1 cory, 1 cat
    Moderator @ East Coast Discus on MySpace

Real Name
    Brian

I got mine from the link Connie posted in another thread here. Angels Plus maybe??? I think they were $15 each or so and can handle up to 500 watts. I got the idea of re-using the Wons from Troy Clark here on the forum who has done the same thing only with Jalli controllers.

Yes, IMO the Wons are crap. Killed $$$$ worth of fish in a single blow!! But it's the controllers that are bad- the heating elements are top notch, which is why I want to re-use them. If the Otto's can earn my confidence then why keep buying new heaters almost once per year when the controllers are cheaper than most heaters anyway...

hehe i'll never forget this post of yours jeep
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Brian

LOL... How about this one
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by traco View Post
    Where did you get your otto controllers from? And pricing was good?
    Hey Barb - www.angelsplus.com around $15.00. I have a 13 year old one and a year old one.

Thanks Connie for the link. I'll head over and see what the total price/shipping to Canada, etc.... is.

.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast