ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Otto Controllers??

Default Re: Otto Controllers??

Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Thanks. What kind of calibration will the controllers need? I would assume that you just set the desired temp and the controller would determine when to turn on/off the heater according to the temp.
    Well, when I throw a thermometer in the tank as well, the temp doesnt match the dial ie. set controller at 30C and the temp is only 27C. I would strongly recommend a thermometer as well to monitor the temp as the setting on the controller could be different.

All I do is turn the controller higher to compensate however my concern comes when heat is needed for medicating purposes. While the controller dial maxes at 35C(95F), max I can really get is only 31C. I dont doubt that they do work well however........
    In discus limbo atm! So much to do and so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by ronrca View Post
    Well, when I throw a thermometer in the tank as well, the temp doesnt match the dial ie. set controller at 30C and the temp is only 27C. I would strongly recommend a thermometer as well to monitor the temp as the setting on the controller could be different.

All I do is turn the controller higher to compensate however my concern comes when heat is needed for medicating purposes. While the controller dial maxes at 35C(95F), max I can really get is only 31C. I dont doubt that they do work well however........
    I've used 4 different thermometers and all 4 give a different reading. One of them is a Coralife digital... could be your thermometer is off. I understand that many thermometers are very inaccurate. Someone actually advised me to get a photographer's thermometer. They said they were extremely accurate because photos won't develop if the solutions that are used are not the proper temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by crazie.eddie View Post
    Thanks. What kind of calibration will the controllers need? I would assume that you just set the desired temp and the controller would determine when to turn on/off the heater according to the temp.
    Eddie, yep, that's all you have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    I've used 4 different thermometers and all 4 give a different reading. One of them is a Coralife digital... could be your thermometer is off. I understand that many thermometers are very inaccurate. Someone actually advised me to get a photographer's thermometer. They said they were extremely accurate because photos won't develop if the solutions that are used are not the proper temperature.
    Yep, Im really beginning to despise thermometers. lol! I have a hanna ph meter that also measures temp and compare with another digital thermometer and I use this as the setpoint. It seems quite accurate but I like the idea of a photographers thermometer. I wonder where I can get one.........

Actually, there may be a way to calibrate the otto controller. I'll have to take a closer look at it tonight.

Actually, there may be a way to calibrate the otto controller. I'll have to take a closer look at it tonight.
    Hmmmm, be interesting to find out if it can be done...

Where to get a Photographer's thermometer - I wondered the same thing, but I think I'll try doing a google search for exactly that. Or else someplace that specializes in photographic equipment. If I find anything, I'll post it.

You can adjust the temp setting on the otto. Not really a calibrate per se however it works for the most part. All you need to do is pull the white dial off, adjust to the closest temp and stick the dial back on. The controller that I overloaded is fixed. Just had to replace the fuse. I wonder why they didnt use a fuse holder rather they solder the fuse on to the board. However, for further testing purposes I bypassed the fuse for now to experiment with a higher wattage.

I did a search on ebay for thermometers used in photolabs and found a few and actually not even that expensive.
    Last edited by ronrca; 11-24-2006 at 11:56 PM.

You can adjust the temp setting on the otto. Not really a calibrate per se however it works for the most part. All you need to do is pull the white dial off, adjust to the closest temp and stick the dial back on. The controller that I overloaded is fixed. Just had to replace the fuse. I wonder why they didnt use a fuse holder rather they solder the fuse on to the board. However, for further testing purposes I bypassed the fuse for now to experiment with a higher wattage.

I did a search on ebay for thermometers used in photolabs and found a few and actually not even that expensive.
    Hey, that's really good to know. I never opened mine up. My 13 year old one has the green light out. I left it since as long as the red light was working, I didn't care, but I'd like to fix the green too, so it's good to know that it can be worked on.

Please let us know how it goes with using a higher wattage - hopefully it won't burn up! LOL. Right now I switched to the Hydor ETH inline heater with my new canister filter, but I think I'll need a second Hydor and I'd like to use my controller with 2 of them hooked up. But the Hydors total wattage is 600W.

Can you provide the Ebay link? Or what did you search for on Ebay, "photolab thermometer" ??

So far so good. Have 600W running on the controller since Friday night. I'll give it at least a week before deciding however none of the components have been 'hot'. 500W to 600W isnt that much of an increase (less than an amp) it will be fine. I will be installing a fuse holder in my ottos with the appropriate fuse size maybe next week as my titanium heaters are all 300W each.

Photolab thermometers:
    Surf to the Cameras and Photos section and search for thermometer.

So far so good. Have 600W running on the controller since Friday night. I'll give it at least a week before deciding however none of the components have been 'hot'. 500W to 600W isnt that much of an increase (less than an amp) it will be fine. I will be installing a fuse holder in my ottos with the appropriate fuse size maybe next week as my titanium heaters are all 300W each.

Photolab thermometers:
    Surf to the Cameras and Photos section and search for thermometer.
    ron - Thanks for the info.

Connie
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

I've been running a otto controller now over a week with the fuse bypassed at 600W. None of the components have gotten really hot or stressed. We now are installing fuse holders and fuses for 600W load. So far the controllers work nice. The only negative so far is the calibration is not very accurate meaning I cant calibrate the temp exactly due to the cogs in the dial.

Great experiment Ron. Please post some pics once it proven out.

Tony

I've been running a otto controller now over a week with the fuse bypassed at 600W. None of the components have gotten really hot or stressed. We now are installing fuse holders and fuses for 600W load. So far the controllers work nice. The only negative so far is the calibration is not very accurate meaning I cant calibrate the temp exactly due to the cogs in the dial.
    Hey ron, I was just thinking of this thread and your experiement yesterday! This is really good to know.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Thanks! I'll try to get some pics some time, hopefully soon. December is busy, busy however!

Otto's still 50% of at Ultralife. I ordered a couple of em'. Hope they work.
    --Reid

These are still available @ 50%-off.
    Just got 4 more.

The website indicates that the deal is limited to stock on hand, and that new inventory will not be available.

These Otto Controllers have worked well for me since last Fall.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast