ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High aggression among discus

Default Re: High aggression among discus

Quote Originally Posted by curtman118 View Post
    Ryan Smith you are a genius. A god among men. I dubiously took your advice about taking each fish out and puting them in separate containers and then re-arranging all the plants within the tank. I did this a couple of hours ago and after re-acclimating to the tank, all of my discus are now in a happy school! All six of them are inseparable its ridiculous! They're all calmly, slowly swimming around the tank in a group. I'm loving life right now. Thanks Ryan. No more stress when watchcing my discus!! Hopefully they'll stay this way.
    LOL I am no genius, it's just something that has been passed down from cichlid hobbyist to cichlid hobbyist. It works with most fish that have territorial issues. Your discus may still argue and fight once they get re-adjusted, but it shouldn't be as bad as before now that they think they're in a new tank. It should make everyone "neutral"...

Ryan

hes a genious..hes just being modest. lol
    glad to hear they are happier.

Registered Member

Sorry to resurrect a new thread, but my question applies here.

I have 6 discus in a 125g planted ranging from 3-5 inches and most of them get along fairly well. They do the occasional charging/poking, but nothing excessive.

If you consider fish #6 the lowest in the pecking order, the #5 fish always aggressively chases the #6 around (they are almost identical sizes around ~3". Now it doesn't just do a little poke or charge, but a full out assault. It will chase it from one end of the tank to the other over a span of 6' and back again. Luckily the tank is densely planted and there are lots of hiding places, but when #5 sees #6 it happens all over again. #6 is pretty much always trying to hide and it does come out a bit at feeding time (even though it doesn't show much interest in food presently), but then #5 normally sees it and rinse-and-repeat. I think if it continues for much longer #6 will eventually get sick and possibly die.

Would it be a good idea to pull #5 and put it in a bucket for essentially a 'time out'? If so, how long should I leave it by itself? If not, any other ideas?

Thanks,
    Sean

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by curtman118 View Post
    Ryan Smith you are a genius. A god among men. I dubiously took your advice about taking each fish out and puting them in separate containers and then re-arranging all the plants within the tank. I did this a couple of hours ago and after re-acclimating to the tank, all of my discus are now in a happy school! All six of them are inseparable its ridiculous! They're all calmly, slowly swimming around the tank in a group. I'm loving life right now. Thanks Ryan. No more stress when watchcing my discus!! Hopefully they'll stay this way.
    Thank u. I have done same thing. I took out all fish and rearranged the tank and then added the all fish than it worked. All have settled aggression.
    I have 7 fish in 75 gallon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12