AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: advice on bioload in a planted discus community tank

Default advice on bioload in a planted discus community tank

My tank has been up for about 18 months. It is a 50 gal (actually has about 43 gal of water in it) and fairly stable. Still fighting some algae.

My question is:

I have

2 bd @ about 4" each for a total of 8"
    2 red scribbles @ about 5" each for a total of 10"
    19 cardinal tetras for a total of about 38"
    13 rummy nose tetras for a total of about 28"
    2 cories for a total of about 5"
    1 pair of guppies (accidently hitchhiked with cardinals) for a total of about 4"
    A couple of guppie babies at about 1/8" (I love having the babies and so do my discus)

For a grand total of 93 1/8 inch of fish in 42 gallons of water.
    With bi weekly wc the water seems to stay good. The discus still lay eggs.
    It does seem that I have too many fish, but they seem to get along with each other very well, and I have no visable behavior problems really.

Guilt is making me wonder if I should give my rummy nose tetras back to the lfs?

What do you think?

Michael

Default Re: advice on bioload in a planted discus community tank

Well, I am not a fan of the "inch" rule, an inch of cardinal is in no way equivalent to an inch of discus or plec etc...

You didn't say how much water you changed? I would say that you probably shouldn't add any more but if the water quality is good enough then why feel guilty? I would check the rate of increase on the nitrAtes, if this gets high just before a w/c consider upping the amount and/or frequency of w/c's before losing any fish.

Nice looking tank too Michael.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

I change about 30% on thursdays and sundays with aged water - (haven't missed one yet). The nitrates stay rock solid at 7-10 depending on how much I fed that week I guess?

Michael

I agree with Paul, I think your tank looks really nice. Just keep track of your nitrates and keep up with the water changes, sounds like your discus are happy

Tina

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyG View Post
    I change about 30% on thursdays and sundays with aged water - (haven't missed one yet). The nitrates stay rock solid at 7-10 depending on how much I fed that week I guess?

Michael
    Michael, at that level of NO3 I wouldn't worry too much, don't feel guilty, just enjoy a very nice tank, I know I would
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

From the picture, it looks to me that you're tank is not densely planted. Even still look out for oxygen defficiency after the lights are out. If you notice that the fishes come up and gasp for air, i guess then you need to look for cutting down numbers.

Bio load in terms of nitrates should not be hassle as the plants should take care of them - you can see them from the nitrate readings.

Your stocking levels are awfully high but that said if you had a problem the rummynose teras would be canaries in the mine. If they are doing well so is your tank. Still you may evntually reach a breaking point when all the tetras are at their maximum size and that is where the rummynoses will let you know something needs to be done.. They are too fine a fish to get rid of. I would just set up another tank if it begins too show any signs of causing any distress among the fish. If my bias for rummynoses shows I can't help myself.
    Larry

Very nice lookin tank! The old sayin goes...If it aint broke dont fix it. The fish will let ya know when its time to start fixin it!
    Mark