ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: OUT OF THE ARCHIVES

Real Name
    Jim

Default OUT OF THE ARCHIVES

Read the post put up today 10/21/07

Ok..

About 10 days ago I burned through another 65 gal polypropalene (spelling?) water storage tank with a low water/hot heater combination I have a new 100 gal tank coming, but in the meantime I've done repair work on the wounded tank.

IF the 65 ends up holding water again (fingers crossed) I'm planning on using all three, but the bandaged 65 will have to sit about 10 feet away from the other two.

I've always had the two plumbed together with a Mag7 sitting in between mixing the water between the two 65s. I'll have to raise the one 65 so the water height is the same as in the 100, but other than that I see no problems with plumbing those two together.

IF I decide to plumb the distant 65, it's pretty easy to figure out how to run the bottom hose out of the bulkhead and let gravity fill it, but I'm wondering if there's any way short of solenoid floats to hook it to the Mag 7 and circulate all three??

Not completely sure I don't want it to just remain a stand alone and feed the breeder tanks off of it, but, was curious if anyone had any thoughts on how best to accomplish tieing all three together if that's the way I decide to go

All the scenarios I've come up with so far could result in one degree of flooding or another (return pump, balancing the flows with ball valves, etc)

Any thoughts??

Of course.... the thing may leak again as soon as I try to fill it and this will be a moot point

Jim
    Last edited by Cosmo; 10-21-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Default Re: Storage Tank Circulation

LOL...um...gee...I sure hope it leaks so you don't have to deal with that dilema...

Registered Member

Jim,
    I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to accomplish. Tying them together with all of them at the same height should be fine IMO. Do you want them to circulate so you only need heat in one tank? I would think that could be done with nothing more than a powerhead, but I'm probably missing something.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Real Name
    Jim

LOL... thanks Squiggy... I am too almost

Larry, are you missing something, well ... 1 .... lol
    I had the 2 65's tied together with a Quiet One 4000 on the exterior circulating the water between the two so the parameters would be identical. Also had a UV on the return of the pump just in case. I'm really thinking of leaving this one as a stand alone so I can keep the the TDS lower for breeding. That's IF IT DOESN'T LEAK

Jim

Real Name
    Jim

Got the 100gal hooked up last night so at least I've got 165gal capacity with the circulation between them. still have to drill more holes to accommodate the heater cables. Hate drilling large holes just to fit the d*** plugs Think I'll cut the cable on an old heater and see if the wiring inside would lend itselft to being wired into a junction, then, I'd only have to drill 1/4 in holes for the cables

Real Name
    Jim

Out of the Archives

Well, I had effected repairs on the 65gal polypropalene storage tank that everyone thought was beyond repair.. including me .. last year... but didnt' trust it enought to use, so, it spent the winter outside exposed to the elements.. including my dog peeing on it, rains, snow, and even ice. This spring the wife put it under the deck to get the eyesore out of the yard.

Finally, I figured I'd test it again and once I saw it leaking I'd throw it away.

IT DOESN'T LEAK

Filled it yesterday and it hasn't lost a drop!!!! I marked the waterline and it's still at the same place. Guess the marine epoxy and all that tank sealer actually did the trick... in warm, hot, and cold conditions.. it didn't crack!!!

Now.. have to figure out IF I have the nerve to put it back in the fishroom, and, where I could possibly fit it in the fishroom
    Last edited by Cosmo; 10-21-2007 at 09:59 AM.
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Default Re: OUT OF THE ARCHIVES

Cool... a 65 gal angel fish grow out tank....Lucky you!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Jim, Depending on the shape, If it has a round base, Home Depot sells trays for home water heaters with a drain hole that can be plumbed to a drain and if it is not round or has a larger base than they sell you could just make one with a little wood and a sheet of scrap floor vinyl and seal the corners then just install a bulkhead in the bottom again plumbed to a drain. It would have to sit higher than your drain though. This might give you a little peace of mind.
    Ray

Real Name
    Jim

Al ~ thought of that, but the thing is 4 feet high and has an 8 inch opening on the top Could cut the top off, but it'd still be pretty deep and difficult to clean

Ray.. having just installed a new water heater a few months ago... I thought of that too Problem is those little pans may hold a couple gallons at best, and the drain is wall mounted so I'd have to rig up a solenoid float switch to start a pump if it leaked... by then it'd probably be cheaper to just buy a new one

Could use the increased storage, so my little brain is still churning away on how to approach this

When I tested it I expected to leak so I could just throw it away lol
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...