ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flourish Excel

Registered Member

Cool Flourish Excel

I am in the process of buying 8 discus for a planted tank. I was talking with a discus dealer from this site and said do not use flourish excel in my tank. I was wondering does anyone use it and the results. thanks Ed

Default Re: Flourish Excel

I use Excell. I used it at high levels to clear my tank of hair algae, and use it at normal levels once a week or two. I'm not very consistant I guess. but, my plants are growing well.
    Debbie G.
    planted 150 gal Discus, planted 10 gal cherry shrimp tank, 29 gal. rasbora and danio tank, 29 gal Praecox rainbow planted tank and an empty 29.Hmmmm!

I use it also and have no problems. Although, it can get a little expensive when dosing larger tanks. Some here use Greg Watson's fertilizers, I believe?

.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I only use it in massive amount to get rid of BBA (which worked finally 2 after 2 months when combined to high Co2 level).

Anyways the discus did'nt seem to care much when I add it or not, but man its expensive when used like that.
    FrancK
    2018 year of the big tank!!!.

Registered Member

I use Flouish Excel and Greg Watson fertilizers (they are for different purposes) I use Excel even in tanks that are CO2 injected. Like Debbie I also use it to erradicate BBA. I have never had a problem with Excel and discus other than slight distress with the discus on day one of over dosing. I do know others who have had bad problems with their discus and over dosing Excel (I have heard of no problems when it is used as directed). My best advice would be to try it in your situation and be prepared to do a massive water change in case there is a problem. I seriously doubt you will have any problems though. There are a lot of people who tell horror stories about using Excel, I think it mainly stems from them using FAR too much Excel. (btw when I say over dosing I am referring to three times the recommended amount, I personally would not exceed this)

I used it without any problems for months...then one day my discus decided to swim through it while I was adding it. I lost 3 of my 4 discus in the tank.

It does work great for controlling certain algae and I've never had any problems with it other than that one time. I don't keep discus in my planted tank anymore but do keep rainbows that often spawn in the plants and I've never had issues with them and the excel, or any of the other fish I keep in there.
    So many fish, so little room.

A friend in New Zealand advised me to use Excel at double the strength to rid my planted discus tank of hair algae, it did no harm to the fish, which included corydora sterbai and cardinals.

If the breeder you are purchasing the Discus from told you not to use it, I wouldn't use it!!!

If you still think you should...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

The 2 liter will last quite awhile.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    A friend in New Zealand advised me to use Excel at double the strength to rid my planted discus tank of hair algae, it did no harm to the fish, which included corydora sterbai and cardinals.
    Hair algae is really easy to get rid of without chemicals. Just turn the c02 up for a few days, an it will dissapear right before your eyes.

If you dont have c02, well flourish excel is the next best thing.
    Mark

marielou20

I am using Flourish Excel right now to get rid of my algae that grows on my piece of wood and differents places in my tank . I started the treatment 6 days ago and since, I didn't see a big change with the algae, it looks worst, my glass is full of algae, I have to clean it more often since I started the treatment.

Is that normal????

What type of lighting are you using ?
    How long is your photo period ?
    How many gallon tank ?
    Do you use Co2 ?
    What other fertilizers if any are you using ?
    How heavily is the tank planted ?
    What is your substrate ?
    B
    Last edited by BSW; 02-23-2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added text

Real Name
    Walter

I've used Excel at double and occasionally triple dose to fight back both black/ red brush algae and the green hair algae. Works for me.

Walter
    Walter

Works for me too, with no problems as of yet.

Would advise you not to 'overdose' the Flourish Excel, though I haven't lost any disucs I have lost a pair of Kribs and Rams on overdosing with this to get rid of algae...
    Hope this helps..
    Cheers...
    Last edited by Nanu; 02-29-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Registered Member

I used it to try and clear some older algae that was still hanging around the big planted tank. I had been experimenting with my ferts to get them right [a part time job for this tank!] and once I finally nailed it, I just wanted the tank to be totally clear of ANY algae. Everybody's dream...so I got EXCEL. THere were directions for the inital loading dose and then much smaller amounts for maintenance dosing. I measured the loading dose amount and put it in a quart of water. I poured it in at the oppisite end of the tank from where all the discus were schooling right then. However, as soon as they saw me, they zoomed over to me looking for treats, no doubt, and swam right through the stream of EXCEL. In 10 minutes all the discus keeled right over. I did an emergency 50% water change in a panic, followed by another 30% change a few hours later. Of those than swam through the stream, 3 discus survived but it took a week or so for them to totally look and act normal again [all their coats were straight up stripped by the EXCEL--and I am wondering if there were osmotic changes in fluids internally or something creepy], and 2 died within 24 hours--these were all 5 year old large adults. I was sick about it. The morning after dosing, when the lights in the tank went on, I have to say I was completely blown away: the tank was completely pristine, NO ALGAE ANYWHERE, the leaves were vibrant and the whole tank looked fantastic......I then researched further on SD and found a few stories that I had previously missed regarding this specific issue: the posts where EXCEL was inadvertantly poured on the discus yielded dead discus.....the other posts said no problems. I am now using EXCEL 5ml every other day when I dose ferts in this 180g, it continues to keep the tank pristine, and I certainly learned the hard way.
    If this stuff hadn't worked like a freaking miracle, algae wise, I would have thrown it out the window....be careful and you'll love the product. Obviously if you intend to incorporate it as part of your usual routine, buy in quantity, it's cheaper.
    Best regards
    Harriett

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast