AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

Registered Member

Default Re: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

Thank you Paul
    Barbara
    member of the Polish Club of Discus Lovers (PKMD)

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    I've just spoken with a fish vet (Fiona MacDonald) and she tells me that prazi will remain active for many days as it is stable in water.
    I was also under the impression that Prazi did not dissipate or weaken over time. Good to know Paul, thanks for the vet verification.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Hi all, I'm new to Discus. I have only 3 that survived shipping with flashing, breathing heavy, & head shakes. Water Params are good. Thankfully they are eating now. I was told to try Prazipro & ordered it. My ? is: should I follow the directions on the bottle, or is there a different recommendation from experienced discus enthusiasts? Please help...
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy View Post
    Hi all, I'm new to Discus. I have only 3 that survived shipping with flashing, breathing heavy, & head shakes. Water Params are good. Thankfully they are eating now. I was told to try Prazipro & ordered it. My ? is: should I follow the directions on the bottle, or is there a different recommendation from experienced discus enthusiasts? Please help...
    Wendy
    Hello Wendy, if you do w/c's then replace any you remove, so if you changed 10 gallons, add enough back in to dose that 10 gallons. For flukes you will need to keep prazi in the water for 12 - 14 days.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Quote Originally Posted by Alight View Post
    Paulf was at least partly right. Prazi does cause muscular contraction in cestids. However, the description of "violent contractions" is a bit on the extreme side. In lower concentrations, Prazi causes the worm to lose suction in their suckers, causing them to be expelled. There is also an action on the tegument, causing intestinal worms to be exposed to intestinal proteases that chew up the worms. If small enough, this results in their digestion.

In humans the description of the drug is amazingly benign. Side effects at even very high overdose concentrations has been associated with almost no side effects.

For fluke treatment, the contractions are, obviously, not important. For tapeworms, even large ones, the contractions are of no concern. The only concern would be from large worms and heavy infestations where the worms come loose and block the intestinal tract because they are in too large a size to be digested quickly.

The recommendation here would be to treat with Epsom salts when you use Prazi for tapeworm treatment to aid in expelling the dead and dying worms.

The other recommendation would be to treat with Prazi early, when worms are likely to be much smaller. In other words, treat all new fish as if they had tapeworms before introducing them to already treated fish.

I know this thread is old but I would like to ask something regarding this post. You adviced to use Epsom salt in conjunction with using prazi to help with expelling the tapeworm. How much Epsom salt per gallon is recommended? Thanks.

Registered Member

Is this thread 'dead'? wanted some info please....

Quote Originally Posted by TriniBetta View Post
    Is this thread 'dead'? wanted some info please....
    the thread started 7 years ago.. and 7 pages long.. what info are you looking for
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    the thread started 7 years ago.. and 7 pages long.. what info are you looking for
    I read through the thread and wanted to be clear on this.
    I bought PraziPro and wanted to know when I dose I should do this for 3 days and continue water changes and re-dose for the amount of water I change, Then Re-dose after seven days for another three days?

Registered Member

Hi all...is Praziquantel very costly compared to other typical discus medicines? In india I checked with a shop it is very costly

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    I agree Eddie. If I think my discus' are having an issue, I always raise the temp. to 90 degrees and add salt, 1 cup per 50 gallons. That usually brings them around. If not, I go to plan B which is trying to diagnose the problem and responding accordingly.
    What type of salt do u use?

Real Name
    Shane Sims

I realize that this is a very old post, but it just became very pertinent to my situation. I've come to the conclusion that some discus (just like some people) are simply allergic to certain medications. I just recently treated my tank with PraziPro because I thought I could be dealing with a fluke issue. And since I've heard so much about how PraziPro is supposedly so safe for ALL fish, and because flukes would mean the entire tank is compromised, I figured that there was no reason not to treat the entire tank. And the PraziPro did in fact prove to have no ill effects on 14 out of 15 of my discus. However, one discus (picture attached) immediately went dark and had shed a lot of his slime coat within the first hour. It's a good thing I was watching closely, or I'm quite sure he would have died soon. Anyway, just thought I would share. Again, I just think some fish are allergic to Prazi, just like some humans are allergic to penicillin.

IMG-20140908-00415.jpg
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

I have been using liquid Prazipro this week on all my discus for fluke treatment. I have 5 large ones in a 55 gallon and 4 smaller 3 to 3.5 inch in another 55 gallon and dosed both aquariums the same. I went by a quarantine schedule of day 1 full dose, day 2 50% W/C half dose, day 3 50% W/C no dose and start again with a full dose on day 4 and so on for 21 days. Today was day 4 with a full dose and after several hours the
    smaller discus started acting extremely skittish and breathing fast and just going crazy except for one. The larger discus were not acting differently except for one that always acts slightly lethargic when I administer prazipro. I immediately put all the smaller discus in another tank that was already to go with clean water. The worst affected one immediately calmed down. I am going to be very careful from now on with using Prazipro.
    prazipro as it definitely affects some of the fish badly.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Denise Heric

This is my third seperate incident of my discus having bad reactions to prazipro. I used the prescribed measurement for a 55 gallon aquarium. All 3 incidents were juvenile discus about 3 to 3.5 inches big that started darting fast and acting strange..... now whenever they get scared or stressed for no reason they have a siezure that lasts about 2 minutes and then they are ok. The larger discus were never affected that I can tell. Now, I am being very careful to use this medication and am looking at other alternatives for fluke infestation.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567