Hi Al,

I posted this info previously

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=55453

, but I'll repost here as well..

http://www.vetcontact.com/en/art.php?a=62&t=

Active Ingredient
    Praziquantel

Mode of Action

Within a few seconds of the tapeworm coming into contact with praziquantel its interaction with phospholipids and proteins causes damage to the tegument. The inflow of Ca+2ions results in an immadiate contraction of the entire strobila. Moreover, these changes lead to a reduction of glucose intake and an accelerated depletion of energy reserves. DRONCIT`s mechanism of action against tapeworms has been investigated with in vitro Hymenolepis diminuta. At very low concentrations (1.0 –10 µg/l) DRONCIT stimulates the motility of H. diminuta and impairs the functional ability of the suckers. At concentrations of 10 – 100 µg/l and above the substance causes very strong contractions of the entire strobila. At concentration of 1 mg/l (1ppm) this contraction takes place the moment the worm comes into contact with the active ingredient solution. This very pronounced in-vitro effect of DRONCIT on tapeworms and the rapid onset of action after the treatment of the host suggest that DRONCIT itself is the cestocidal substance and not its metabolites. The studies of DRONCIT`s mechanism of action against tapeworms performed to date have shown that the drug has an effect on carbohydrate metabolism. The uptake of glucose by the tapeworm is dose-dependently reduced by the administration of DRONCIT: by half at an active concentration of 100 µg/l. The excretion of lactate was not dependent upon the presence of glucose in the surrounding solution. This suggests that lactate excretion is due to an effect on endogenous carbohydrate, probably glycogen. A reduction in the levels of glycogen in worms of the species H. diminuta was detected in rats which has been treated orally with 25 mg DRONCIT/kg: 2 hours after administration the glycogen levels in the worms were 20 – 50% lower than in the worms of the placebo-treated control rats. It was also demonstrated that the tegument of the worms becomes permeable to glucose as a result of the administration of DRONCIT. If H. diminuta treated with DRONCIT were transferred to a glucose-free medium, the parasites released glucose into the surrounding medium.

hth,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

When I read the decription of how it works I see the probable scenario as follows..

The attached Tapeworm is exposed to low concentrations initially and that causes it to become motile, as its sucker no longer works... This means it can no longer stay attached....

as the concentration of the prazi increases due to increased absorption and uptake into the fish... The medication causes a the rupture the tegument and compromise the parasites ability to maintain energy reserves... It dies and is passed out of the fish.

Thats at least how it sounds to me... Does anyone see a different interpretation here?

It seems to me that if the medicine works as rapidly as it is supposed to that the very first effect it has is to cause the worms to release their hold....after that the contractions occur as the concentration of the med increases.. Thats at least what the invitro experiments imply.
    hth,
    -al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Have you ever had ill effects/mortality for the plecos or loaches in a tank treated with prazi? Do you remove them first? I dosed with metro and it killed plecos. Catching small plecos can be done, but it is a heck of a job catching them if it isn't necessary!
    ~Lovin' the King in TX~

Just want to share what I experienced regarding the use of this product.

A few years ago I noticed one of my adults Discus had a string like thing going in and out of its mouth. I was white and it kept getting longer every time I saw it every few hours. I began to look for information on the internet and came across an article regarding deworming fishes using "Droncit" and from what I remember you could only get the pills from a Vet. So, I went to a Vet and asked if he could sell me some Droncit and he asked for what. I explained the article and he was puzzled but, sold me 20 pills for $20. I followed the instruction on the article one pill per 10g every day for 5 days and begin treatment again to get rid of the new worm which were in the egg stage since I began treatment.

The next day, there was like 20 tape/ flat white worms different lenghs up to 2 inches long all over the bottom tank. I could not believe what I saw, I never suspected this fish was infested. He ate and appeared healthy active but, he was so infested that they were coming out the other way, the mouth, disgusting.

Anyway no adverse affects, the trick is get the worm exposed to the prazi to then release from the host then follow up and treat the new hatchings. I believe the Droncit pill are 35g which is a good dose per 10g which I believe is the recomemded dosage.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fern View Post
    Just want to share what I experienced regarding the use of this product.

A few years ago I noticed one of my adults Discus had a string like thing going in and out of its mouth. I was white and it kept getting longer every time I saw it every few hours. I began to look for information on the internet and came across an article regarding deworming fishes using "Droncit" and from what I remember you could only get the pills from a Vet. So, I went to a Vet and asked if he could sell me some Droncit and he asked for what. I explained the article and he was puzzled but, sold me 20 pills for $20. I followed the instruction on the article one pill per 10g every day for 5 days and begin treatment again to get rid of the new worm which were in the egg stage since I began treatment.

The next day, there was like 20 tape/ flat white worms different lenghs up to 2 inches long all over the bottom tank. I could not believe what I saw, I never suspected this fish was infested. He ate and appeared healthy active but, he was so infested that they were coming out the other way, the mouth, disgusting.

Anyway no adverse affects, the trick is get the worm exposed to the prazi to then release from the host then follow up and treat the new hatchings. I believe the Droncit pill are 35g which is a good dose per 10g which I believe is the recomemded dosage.
    Droncit is 50mg each, a question, can droncit be disolved in water or it needs vodka or acetone?

GUILLE2007, first I am no expert using this stuff. But, a few months ago I was interested in buying this stuff bulk and researched it. This stuff is expensive because it works especially if you have lots of tanks and are always getting new fishes and deworming them is part of you regiment.

Praziquantel is made in Asia and imported and sold here through pharmaceutical companies. The pill which I did receive from a Vet can be crush and let it sit until fully dissolved then added to water directly. I came across a Prazi product that came in powder and when added to the water is floated on the surface. This product was not as effective. What I did was I mixed this powder in a specimen tube with Melafix. After shaking it a bit this dissolved perfectly in the water. I will only guess that this is the powder product which needs to be dissolved in Ethyl Alcohol or some sort of Alcohol.

The pill Prazi I would think is the most effective because its intended for consumption. The other products are the raw ingredients to making Prazi and
    I am not sure how effective it is.

Fern

You know that this is available in injectable (liquid) form as well. It's 56.8 mg per ml.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    You know that this is available in injectable (liquid) form as well. It's 56.8 mg per ml.
    Yes I have used it for dogs, have you used it or anyone for fishes?

Registered Member

Dear Alight and Fern,

I have bought some Praziquantel tablet for human ( 200 mg ) and intend to use it for deworming my discus.
    Can you share with us the dosage of Prziquantel that you use for deworming ( how many gramn of active ingredient per litre of aquanrium water and the treatment regime )?
    Also, have you tried using praziquantel in the food?
    How much praziquantel per 100 gram of say beefheart mix ?

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers!

BT Lee

Registered Member

Hi,

I fed Droncit (praziquantel) to my discus a couple of days back and now I find that all 4 of them have contracted their fins and are huddled up together face up (pointing to the top of the tank) and facing the backside of the tank. I have been doing a 30% water change since then and have set up the temperature to 32 degrees. These babies are not eating eating as well and I am concerned. Can someone please let me know if they have faced such a problem and how they have gone about with the cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine_Bryant View Post
    I wish I had read this thread a few days ago.....I used a prazi product by JUNGLE products. It contains prazi, diflubenzuron, metronidazole and acriflavine. My discus turned black and I'm sure I will lose 2 of them. Right now I'm in the process of doing one third water changes every hour. The young ones have perked up but the older ones seem to have taken it the hardest. I used the same product at the same time on my community tank and everything seems fine, I lost 1 tetra but the medicine may not have had anything to do with it. Any suggestions on my water changes? thanks elaine
    The Jungle medication referenced above is Parasite Clear. I had mild flashing with three of eight new juveniles in a recently-converted 90 gallon tank. After taking measurements of gravel displacement and estimating rock displacement I figured I had 70 gallons of water to treat. I used Parasite Clear with absolutely no interruption in the fish's behavior. I made no other changes. The flashing immediately disappeared. All is great now. Waiting to see if I have a fluke re-hatch. If I do I plan to use the product for two consecutive weeks rather than the one week/one dose treatment. I'm a believer.

Just discovered that prazi+metro combo may be deadly to 1" juvenile fish. Had administered it in the afternoon to discover 5 hours later one dead fish.
    Perhaps I had OD'ed the metro and prazi.
    Stan Chung

simple but not easy

I used PraziPro, Hikari, on my ten Heckels as soon as I could get them to eat Tetra Color Bits. That took about one month for them to become accustomed to the prepared foods instead of live Black worms.
    I fed them the Color Bits saturated in PraziPro once or twice a day for a month. I would mix up enough of the medicated food to last several days and kept the unused portion in the fridge. I did not try it in their water. They reacted positively. Excellent appetites. I repeated the treatment again about six months later but only for one week that time.
    My impression was that it didn't harm them and based on their rapid growth I assume they were not having to share their food with worms. Seems to me that if the discus will ingest it the blood serum levels would be higher than those obtained when using a prazi bath treatment. This was when they were a little more than 3-inches May '06. Now they are all 5-1/2 to 6 inches in diameter.
    These were the first wild discus I had kept since the advent of vermicidal drugs for fish. Wish I could have had drugs of this class ages ago.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

I just dosed liquid PraziPro in my 78 gallon with six four-inch discus (they were three inches when I picked them up two weeks ago), two angels, two clown loaches and a bunch of cardinals and rummy-nose tetras-- mostly because I spotted a very long, mucus-coloured, stringy feces hanging from one angel, but also partly as a precautionary dose. They've been in the tank for two weeks and I'd like to lessen the possibility of gill flukes becoming a problem in future, as I did notice one discus doing an occasional little twitchy head-shake and flashing a bit.
    The reading I did prior to dosing indicated that you should not dose metro and prazi concurrently, but should instead administer each consecutively. Metro acts on different bio-pests (specifically the dreaded hexamita) than Prazi.
    Everybody in the tank remains energetic, hungry and happy. It's not supposed to affect the bacterial biosystem at all, but I cannot do a water change for seven days, according to the dosage directions. Did one before dosing, cleaned the biggest filter on the tank, and will watch the water parameters like a hawk.
    After that, I may run them through a course of metro-medicated beefheart blend I have stashed away. But I tried out a piece on them shortly after their arrival, and they don't seem to care for it much.

I just treated 5 new discus (2-3in) with PraziPro liquid concentrate for gill flukes and any kind of other worm or parasite they might have had when they came in and they are having no problems what so ever with treatment. One of the fish (smallest one) wasn't eating, had excessive breathing, clamped gill plate, and obviously head shaking. In less than 24 hours of the PraziPro treatment it was breathing normal, no clamped gill, no more head shaking or flashing, and is now eating like a pig. I did a WC first then added treatment. I treated 3 1/2 teaspoons to a 75gal tank. So far excellent results.

(Aquarium Solutions) PraziPro Concentrate Liquid
    4 fl. oz.
    Contents: oxybispropanol (as n inert solubilizing agent), and 5% praziquantel by weight.
    Distributed by Hikari Sales Inc
    Hayward, CA

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast