AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

Exclamation Re: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

Hi,

I have one large discus (over 6") which is clearly allergic to praziquantel. I have used Prazipro on him twice and Parasite Clear once and each time his reaction got worse. He sheds an enormous amount of slime coat and gets extremely stressed out. He's however, fine with metro and other antibiotics.
    Clearly, some fish are more sensitive to this product than thought....
    He's the only one in my tank which reacts like that!!!

Sophie

Registered Member

Default Re: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

i have always been leary of aquarium pharmicuticals. i do not believe they are as fresh or as controlled as those purchased through a vet or doctor. reading this post just strengthens my belief. if the fish are as valuable as we claim then we should use top quality medications. always purchase through an MD or Vet. develope a repor with your doctor.

Registered Member

don't mix meds. this is tough on the fish. these over the shelf cocktails rely on the shotgun affect. the aquarium pharm companies do not have a responsibility for your losses. they let you play doctor. make sure you know for what you are treating for and what you should use. discus your problems with a vet. there are vets all over the world that know fish. i realize in the USA we always skimp on equipment, quality of fish (you can argue this one all you want but it is true), getting the right help for your problems.
    but if you really care, pay a vet for his services it will relieve a lot of your grief.

I have used both Prazi and metro - but never together. I have used them in the water column, as well as on other occasions added it to my beef heart.

I've not had any adverse reaction. Even though instructions for prazi say not to use with tetras, they are too hard to catch if I want to treat the whole tank. They, like my cories, apistos & ottos, all passed through treatment with no ill effect.

Someone earlier mentioned Epsom salts. That's something I have used as well. It is a mild laxative & helps them pass the worm.

there are vets all over the world that know fish
    I don't find that to be the case where I live. Vets here (at least those that I have found) are not comfortable at all with treating fish. It took several phone calls, only to be told by most that they don't treat or prescribe for fish, as they don't have fish knowledge. I managed to convince one vet, reluctantly. But I had to go armed with the instructions of what I was told I needed by forum members, including the dose. Prescription was as per a sticky on medication that I printed & took with me.

Since then, I have found a vet who is a fish hobbyist & a member of another forum in Aus that I visit. This makes it easier for me to get the right meds, but before I found him - it was tough going.
    Last edited by TankWatcher; 12-10-2008 at 08:05 AM.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Used Parasite Clear and General Cure which both contain Praziquantel along with other meds and never had any adverse reactions. The fish always seemed to do just fine. I agree that it's better to use a specific drug for a specific problem since the combination is pretty much useless unless your fish have every known problem in the world.

If I need Prazi products I go with Prazi Pro alone.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

because your fish have not shown immediate advers effects doesn't necessarilly mean it is a safe practice. i still believe one problem should be addressed at a time. and prior to treating with any medication out comes the microscope.

I am a firm believer in the parziquantel products. I have had a great deal of success using Jungle Clear. This product has really done the trick in clearing up parasite infestations.

On one occasion, the first day of treating w/Jungle Clear my discus turned dark, huddled and started breathing heavier than normal. I kept a close eye on them and by day 2 they were fine. I must add though that these particular fish were heavily infested with parasite's when I acquired them from another source. Every other time I have used this product, there has been no ill effects.

It saddens me to see others having had tragic outcomes in using these products. But in my case they have been fish life savors. And the fact they do not harm your biological filtration is defiantly a plus. On the package it does state don't overdose, and if overdose occurs add carbon and neutralize immediately.

I do keep a great deal of aeration in all my tanks, I'm not sure if that is a factor or not.

Cathy,
    Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Mahatma Gandhi

Sadly, even if I had a microscope, I don't think I would understand what I am looking at. I agree one problem should be addressed at a time.
    Cheers
    Robyn

Anyone know if prazipro will kill red cherry shrimp?

It shouldn't, but when using any med there is always a risk.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by prolude006 View Post
    Anyone know if prazipro will kill red cherry shrimp?
    I have not dosed the water with PraziPro

But I have fed food soaked with UltraCure PX to a tank that contained RCS with no ill affects. The shrimp inevitably ate some of it and I'm sure a small amount escaped into the water.

Registered Member

Hello All,

Has anyone used Jungle Labs medicated foods? They have a food which contains both Praziquantel and Metro in it. I've been tempted to use this rather then mix my own food or dose the water column.

Hissy

Quote Originally Posted by hissyphus View Post
    Hello All,

Has anyone used Jungle Labs medicated foods? They have a food which contains both Praziquantel and Metro in it. I've been tempted to use this rather then mix my own food or dose the water column.

Hissy
    If your fish readily take any pellet (I mean ANY), they will be fine but if they don't take pellets of that size or color, they definitely won't touch those pellets. Thats just in my experience.

I have a few discus that will eat any thing that comes near there mouth ANYTHING and they were picky about those pellets. The rest of discus didn't even look at them.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

I am doing a Prazipro treatment for 6 days now because of my discus had gill flukes. It was breathing very fast from one gill. He was back to normal within 2 hours but as I stopped the treatment after 5 days, yesterday he started to breath fast again. I redosed and after 2 minutes he was breathing normaly again. One treatment is not enough! The treatment is quite safe because I did a double dose to begin on the first day (then it was water change and regular dose), watching the fish carefully. I even saw the fish spit out something withish that looked like a little cloud of very tiny particles (flukes?). It was after that spitting that it started to breath normaly. The fishes are now all breathing slower and better.

My only adverse reaction is that they have became skittish and my largest has stopped eating or is eating very little. Since day one its appetite was reduced by the medication and it's not getting any better since I had to redose.

It did not kill the snails at all. They are all doing fine as well as the cory. I did remove my wood shrimps though, just to be on the safe side.

The med seem to be very effective against gill flukes but it needs to be given long enough I guess. I am going to buy a UV sterilizer to help control these buggers. I plan on doing another 4 or 5 days to be safe.

I was running out of PraziPro and decided to get az 50 gram container of the pure praziquantel powder. There were some allusions to how to mix this in previous postings of this thread, but nothing that mentions "Dissolve Z tsp of powder with liquids X & Y to treat W gallons of water.

I've also heard some people say treat 3 days, lay off 4 days and do this for 3 weeks. The instructions just say to treat for 7 days straight and redose as needed. In my uneducated opinion about this, it seems like treating them for a ton of days in a row should knock out the flukes completely. But maybe future generations while in egg and larval form build a tolerance to Prazi? Is that the rationale behind the 3 days on, 4 days off thing?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast