ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

Registered Member

Default Re: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

I don;t know about the 3/4 thing, but I do know that when I dose Prazi, I dose twice, seven days apart, with a WC in between. During treatment, no WC. And all my fish are free of flukes and worms...
    should add I have also used mtero completely separately to deal with what Prazi doesn't knock out.
    Between those two meds and Maracyn Plus, that seems to be all I need in my med cabinet. And a small bottle of Fungus Cure.

Registered Member

Yes, Prazi only affects the adult flukes and tapeworms. The first treatment is to treat the adults, and the second treatment is to knock out the following generation. Some treat for 21 days to make sure they get everything.

Registered Member

Ok I am presently trying to feed my 2 discus and 2 angels med food that has Praziquantel in it. So far they have each tried a piece and spit it back out. I have a couple of angels in another tank and am treating their water directly. It was suggested that I also treat the tank with the discus and angels just in case, as I have recently moved angels around. Now I am wondering if I should continue to try to feed the discus this med????

Registered Member

They could be spitting it out because they do not like the taste of the meds, or the infection is preventing them from swallowing. Often times, fish that has Hex will refuse food, try to eat, and spit it back out.

Registered Member

Wel this is fine if your fish do not stop eating. In my case, my fish just stopped eating when ever there was prazi in the tank for more than 3 days. First time the fish did not eat anything for 2 weeks and was extremely nervous and skittish after 7 days of prazipro.

the second treatment I did, about 4 weeks later because the flukes came back with a vengence, I only did 3 days at the time and the fish did not stop eating.

Surely enough if you can keep it for 7 days (will you do water change??) then you still need to do at least 2 weeks treatment.

Also the flukes seem to get used to prazipro and develop some resistance. THen a higher dose is necessary. I had to double the dose last time and if that does not work, I will go for something really drastic like fluke tabs. I am sick of it now

Quote Originally Posted by cschwaderer View Post
    I was running out of PraziPro and decided to get az 50 gram container of the pure praziquantel powder. There were some allusions to how to mix this in previous postings of this thread, but nothing that mentions "Dissolve Z tsp of powder with liquids X & Y to treat W gallons of water.

I've also heard some people say treat 3 days, lay off 4 days and do this for 3 weeks. The instructions just say to treat for 7 days straight and redose as needed. In my uneducated opinion about this, it seems like treating them for a ton of days in a row should knock out the flukes completely. But maybe future generations while in egg and larval form build a tolerance to Prazi? Is that the rationale behind the 3 days on, 4 days off thing?

I followed the directions on prazipro for the seven days and then used parasite fizz tabs from jungle after a water change and my discus are all great since the treatment. I would follow the directions they work. seven days and the fish pass the parasites and eggs, then the fizz tabs kill anything else in the tank and gravel or crevices that you have.

Registered Member

I did 3 treatments with prazipro and so far it does not work much. I guess I will need to get something else to finish that off or the flukes keep coming back with a vengance.

BTW, parasite fizz ingredients: Active Ingredients: Metronidazole, praziquantel, trichlorfon, diflubenzuron.

seems powerful med. No adverse reaction with your fish? I am thinking of using something like that because prazi alone can't get the hold on flukes in my tank. trichlorfon is a powerful pesticide as well as diflubenzuron. No wonter it solved your problem. I beleive that is what really solved your fulkes rather than the prazi.

Quote Originally Posted by prolude006 View Post
    I followed the directions on prazipro for the seven days and then used parasite fizz tabs from jungle after a water change and my discus are all great since the treatment. I would follow the directions they work. seven days and the fish pass the parasites and eggs, then the fizz tabs kill anything else in the tank and gravel or crevices that you have.
    Last edited by Daniella; 04-29-2009 at 09:20 AM.

The reason behind prazipro is not to kill the parasites its to get them to unlatch from the fish without hurting any internals. The metro kills the parasites after that. I used the fizz tabs as a broad spectrum med as I was not sure what they actually had for parasites.
    My fish ate normal and where not affected by the meds at all.

Quote Originally Posted by prolude006 View Post
    The reason behind prazipro is not to kill the parasites its to get them to unlatch from the fish without hurting any internals. The metro kills the parasites after that. I used the fizz tabs as a broad spectrum med as I was not sure what they actually had for parasites.
    My fish ate normal and where not affected by the meds at all.

I'm pretty sure metro doesn't affect flukes at all.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

I agree with Eddie, I've scoped live flukes in a tank while metro was in it. Had to go back after them with F & MG..
    Everything goes back to the sea....Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniella View Post
    I did 3 treatments with prazipro and so far it does not work much. I guess I will need to get something else to finish that off or the flukes keep coming back with a vengance.

..prazi alone can't get the hold on flukes in my tank. trichlorfon is a powerful pesticide as well as diflubenzuron. No wonter it solved your problem. I beleive that is what really solved your fulkes rather than the prazi.
    First part: how often were you dosing with prazi? at least every 3 days?

Second Part: Trichlorfon is a fluke med that Rod Lewis uses...
    Everything goes back to the sea....Dylan

Registered Member

I'm currently on my second treatment with Jungle Parasite clear and epsom salt.
    Does the fish normally eat during the treatment?

I dont see any signs of stress, only lack of an appetite.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eva View Post
    I'm currently on my second treatment with Jungle Parasite clear and epsom salt.
    Does the fish normally eat during the treatment?

I dont see any signs of stress, only lack of an appetite.
    thanks
    Hi Eva, yes it can sometimes turn fish off food during treatment so no worries.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Can't remember. I think 2 or 3 days and for 7 days at first. they came back. I did another round of 2 weeks, 3days each day, then 2 days break etc...they came back. I used double the dose, they came back. I think there are resistant strain of flukes that now resist to prazi. I read more and more reference about it.

trichlorfon is a powerfull pesticide.

Recently with all the med I gave my fish for the plague, I am sure there are no more flukes

could not see a single one under the microscope on any fish that I scraped.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxanne View Post
    First part: how often were you dosing with prazi? at least every 3 days?

Second Part: Trichlorfon is a fluke med that Rod Lewis uses...

Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    Just thought I'd share my 1st experience with Praziquantel.
    2 of my discus had gill flukes i believe (they were breathing with one gill only) so I decided to run a treatment in my community tank. I have 55 gallon planted tank with 7 2.5 - 3 inch discus 3 BN high fin plecos, 4 Cory's sp.jully, 4 Otto's 2 Neritina Natalensis /Zebra Snail/ and god knows how many brown snails.
    I couldn't find prazi for fish in my country so i purchased one for dog use. The pill contains 50mg of Prazi and 2 mg of abamectinum. I followed the dose of 100mg/10gal and i dissolved 12 tablets in maybe, well not more than 25ml of vodka (the cheapest i could find - 37.5% vol.) then mixed this solution into 10 gal. of water and added to the tank. After i poured everything in the tank the water looked kinda milky. I had to leave the house for about 3 hours and when i came back i went to check up on the tank. The discus seemed fine but i believe they were still breathing with one gill only( i'm certain about one of them and not sure about the other). Apart from that, they looked fine - picking for food at the bottom, came to greet me etc... After taking a closer look at the tank i spotted one of my zebra snails laying on the bottom with the shell opening pointing upwards. If you never had snails this generally means the snail is a ghost. I looked for the other one and it was on a piece of driftwood where there normally is loads of GSA but it was not moving. I looked for the small brown snails and saw maybe 4-5 of them with body overexposed from the shell (like they were trying to flee from it) and not moving. I could only find one of my BNs at the front part of my tank and although it was breathing it did not look happy at all. I thought the prazi might have done something to it so i decided to put it in a separate tank with good water. It took me about 20 minutes to set up the tank and by the time i was done the pleco had nearly "gone". Quickly i took it out and into the other tank and started searching for the other two plecos. I found them but they were hardly breathing. I put them into the other tank too, trying to save them. By this time my Cory's did not look good either. I caught them basically with my hand (it was easier with all the plants in the tank) and put them in the tank with both snails and the 3 BNs expecting them to die. I left them in there with heavy aireation and quickly did around 60% water change in the main tank because i did not want to start losing any of my discus. I guess i just panicked . While doing the WC i counted all 4 of the Otto's and they seemed fine. I did not bother catching them because is no fun trying to catch a little Otto that doesn't want to be caught in a planted tank...
    So now about 6 hours after i dosed prazi i have 7 discus and 4 Otto's that look fine, 4 Cory's that may survive (not sure yet), 3 dead high fin BNs plecos and 2 probably dead zebra snails.
    So to sum it up - 100mg/10gal of Prazi for 3 hours
    1.was deadly to i guess all little brown snails and 3 of 3 BN's plecos.
    2. Had very negative effect on 2 of 2 Zebra snail and 4 of 4 Cory's Sp. Jully
    3. Had positive or no effect to all 7 discus and 4 Otto's.

Hope this helps anyone looking for answers. I'm not saying prazi shoud not be used as a medicine but rather as a word of warning. I would personally take all my catfish and snails, i want to keep alive, out of the comunity tank before i dose again.

P.S. Sorry if my English is bad but is not my mother tongue.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast