AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

Default Re: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

HI,
    Your english is fine, easy to understand. The problems you had were almost certainly due to the abamectinum that is in the pill along with the prazi. It contains an insecticide, which can be very toxic to a wide variety of animals. I think you are very lucky that you didn't lose more of your tanks inhabitents.
    Any time you use a drug that's intended for a different purpose than what you are using it for you need to check very carefully for any differences, such as added drugs that can be harmful to the animals you're treating.
    HTH,

Kacey

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by KuPoB_K View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Just thought I'd share my 1st experience with Praziquantel.
    2 of my discus had gill flukes i believe (they were breathing with one gill only) so I decided to run a treatment in my community tank. I have 55 gallon planted tank with 7 2.5 - 3 inch discus 3 BN high fin plecos, 4 Cory's sp.jully, 4 Otto's 2 Neritina Natalensis /Zebra Snail/ and god knows how many brown snails.
    I couldn't find prazi for fish in my country so i purchased one for dog use. The pill contains 50mg of Prazi and 2 mg of abamectinum. I followed the dose of 100mg/10gal and i dissolved 12 tablets in maybe, well not more than 25ml of vodka (the cheapest i could find - 37.5% vol.) then mixed this solution into 10 gal. of water and added to the tank. After i poured everything in the tank the water looked kinda milky. I had to leave the house for about 3 hours and when i came back i went to check up on the tank. The discus seemed fine but i believe they were still breathing with one gill only( i'm certain about one of them and not sure about the other). Apart from that, they looked fine - picking for food at the bottom, came to greet me etc... After taking a closer look at the tank i spotted one of my zebra snails laying on the bottom with the shell opening pointing upwards. If you never had snails this generally means the snail is a ghost. I looked for the other one and it was on a piece of driftwood where there normally is loads of GSA but it was not moving. I looked for the small brown snails and saw maybe 4-5 of them with body overexposed from the shell (like they were trying to flee from it) and not moving. I could only find one of my BNs at the front part of my tank and although it was breathing it did not look happy at all. I thought the prazi might have done something to it so i decided to put it in a separate tank with good water. It took me about 20 minutes to set up the tank and by the time i was done the pleco had nearly "gone". Quickly i took it out and into the other tank and started searching for the other two plecos. I found them but they were hardly breathing. I put them into the other tank too, trying to save them. By this time my Cory's did not look good either. I caught them basically with my hand (it was easier with all the plants in the tank) and put them in the tank with both snails and the 3 BNs expecting them to die. I left them in there with heavy aireation and quickly did around 60% water change in the main tank because i did not want to start losing any of my discus. I guess i just panicked . While doing the WC i counted all 4 of the Otto's and they seemed fine. I did not bother catching them because is no fun trying to catch a little Otto that doesn't want to be caught in a planted tank...
    So now about 6 hours after i dosed prazi i have 7 discus and 4 Otto's that look fine, 4 Cory's that may survive (not sure yet), 3 dead high fin BNs plecos and 2 probably dead zebra snails.
    So to sum it up - 100mg/10gal of Prazi for 3 hours
    1.was deadly to i guess all little brown snails and 3 of 3 BN's plecos.
    2. Had very negative effect on 2 of 2 Zebra snail and 4 of 4 Cory's Sp. Jully
    3. Had positive or no effect to all 7 discus and 4 Otto's.

Hope this helps anyone looking for answers. I'm not saying prazi shoud not be used as a medicine but rather as a word of warning. I would personally take all my catfish and snails, i want to keep alive, out of the comunity tank before i dose again.

P.S. Sorry if my English is bad but is not my mother tongue.

Sorry for your losses. Sometimes lessons are harsh, but by posting here and explaining what you used, and the results will prevent the same from happening to someone else in the future. I applaud you for sharing your story.

Registered Member

To Kaceyo:
    The problems you had were almost certainly due to the abamectinum that is in the pill along with the prazi. It contains an insecticide, which can be very toxic to a wide variety of animals.
    I tried searching for abamectinum before I ran the treatment but the only two hits i got from google were in, i believe Polish, which sadly isn't one of my strongest languages . After reading your post i searched again, this time for abamectin and found out it was highly toxic to fish and extremely toxic to aquarium invertebrates. This i believe, explains all snail mortalities.
    To shawnhu:
    Sometimes lessons are harsh, but by posting here and explaining what you used, and the results will prevent the same from happening to someone else in the future.
    I have learned so much from this forum that i felt i had to share this story in hopes to give anyone as detailed information, with approximate time frames, should he/she ever needs it.
    Thank you for your sympathies.

from what ive read most popular dewormers with prazi in Poland r:
    ANIPRAZOL : prazikwantel, fenbendazol.

CESTAL PLUS: prazikwantel, pyrantel, fenbendazol.

DRONTAL PLUS : prazikwantel, febantel, pyrantel pamoatelu.

PRATEL : prazikwantel, pyrantel pamoate.

dosing:
    1000mg prazi / 100l 4-6 hours treatment
    Last edited by Witos; 09-21-2009 at 10:12 PM.

Registered Member

I use "sera med Professional Tremazol" just once.

works for me fine,so what are you think ?

Just started using Praiquantel in my tank one of the pair got Gill Flukes this is day three and I am seeing a lot good results. Was told by Fish Pharmaceuticals don't mix with other meds could have adverse reactions with all the fish in the tank.

U can try PRAZIVET(google it) for bath it will kill few worms at one time and its safe when use as directed
    1tablet for 5l of wtr+air stone , gh 4-10, temp 28C+-1,ph 6.5-6.8 bath 4-6 hours
    Last edited by Witos; 01-10-2010 at 12:40 PM.
    www.DVTESTER.com

Registered Member Discus_adictus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witos View Post
    U can try PRAZIVET(google it) for bath it will kill few worms at one time and its safe when use as directed
    1tablet for 5l of wtr+air stone , gh 4-10, temp 28C+-1,ph 6.5-6.8 bath 4-6 hours
    Is Prazivet safe for fish? It contains Praziquantel (50mg) + Pyrantel Pamoate (144mg).

Registered Member

hi i am currently treating my discus with parzi gold, may i know much how should i feed my discus during this treatment period?

Quote Originally Posted by logo View Post
    hi i am currently treating my discus with parzi gold, may i know much how should i feed my discus during this treatment period?
    Never heard of this brand of Prazi feed, is it a pellet? If so, I would feed them the pellet exclusively for 5 days.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

er i mean while treating my discus with praziquentel how much tetrabits granules should i be feeding my discus during this treatment period?

Quote Originally Posted by logo View Post
    er i mean while treating my discus with praziquentel how much tetrabits granules should i be feeding my discus during this treatment period?
    It doesn't really matter. If treating for tapeworms, I'd suggest a food that would help purge them. Something such as brine shrimp.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Never heard of this brand of Prazi feed, is it a pellet? If so, I would feed them the pellet exclusively for 5 days.

Eddie
    er nope u misinterpreted my question im using this prazi gold by the brand eiho but even the prazi on its bottle is spelled wrongly -.-! it still cost around US$8 tho with the wrong spelling..

I got me some Aquascience Prazi. The label says the 10 gram bottle doses 1000 gallons and treatment is for 7 days only. I read here on simply that I should treat for 3 weeks.
    If I'm treating a 90 gallon tank. Would a 1 gram treatment be sufficient? Can I double the dosage... maybe 2 grams? I was thinking I'd dose 2 grams for 3 weeks, water change 50 percent once in the middle of each week and replace 1 gram back into the water.

Is this a good treatment? if not any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by peterhql View Post
    I got me some Aquascience Prazi. The label says the 10 gram bottle doses 1000 gallons and treatment is for 7 days only. I read here on simply that I should treat for 3 weeks.
    If I'm treating a 90 gallon tank. Would a 1 gram treatment be sufficient? Can I double the dosage... maybe 2 grams? I was thinking I'd dose 2 grams for 3 weeks, water change 50 percent once in the middle of each week and replace 1 gram back into the water.

Is this a good treatment? if not any recommendations?
    This depends on what you are treating for, are you treating for flukes or cestodes (tapeworms)?
    Visit Eddie's Place

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast