ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

Default Re: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

flukes

Quote Originally Posted by peterhql View Post
    flukes
    Typically, its a 3 week treatment. Treat for 3 consecutive days and then 4 days off, then the cycle starts again, 3 days on 4 days off for total of 21 days.

Now, the reason why you see the one treatment for seven days on the package is because they assume you are not performing daily water changes. Also, "supposedly" prazi does not denature or weaken each passing day. I prefer to do a good tank clean/water change and re-dose each day. Its been a long time since I've used Praziquantel for flukes. You must have sensitive fish, such as tetras or scaleless fish.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Yes I have a school of tetras, I figured I'd give that a try first before anything because its the safest.

Thanks again eddie

Quote Originally Posted by peterhql View Post
    Yes I have a school of tetras, I figured I'd give that a try first before anything because its the safest.

Thanks again eddie
    Anytime man! Also, depending on your set-up, you may be able to just keep the tank filled half way to save on meds. Praziquantel powder is one of the more expensive products. Not sure if you filtration set-up will allow you to run your tank only half full.

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

I had been using prazi... the LFS here sold a medication by the name of Tremisole... praziquentil was the sole active ingredient... just curious if anyone else had come across this brand?

I have used prazipro. Seems to give the fish relief right away. I have fish that I'm not sure what the problem is. Can the filament show from under the gill plates if the fish has flukes for a long time or is it probably bacterial? Prazipro seemed to give them relief and breathing returned to normal for about 3-4 weeks. The filament seemed to get thinner and was harder to see. If this is bacterial what works well? I need a microscope. Breathing is starting to elevate again and the filament is starting to extend on a few of my fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sivasama View Post
    I have used prazipro. Seems to give the fish relief right away. I have fish that I'm not sure what the problem is. Can the filament show from under the gill plates if the fish has flukes for a long time or is it probably bacterial? Prazipro seemed to give them relief and breathing returned to normal for about 3-4 weeks. The filament seemed to get thinner and was harder to see. If this is bacterial what works well? I need a microscope. Breathing is starting to elevate again and the filament is starting to extend on a few of my fish.

Good info on gill issues.

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/gill%20disease.htm
    Visit Eddie's Place

Thanks, this is very informative......and a bit scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Typically, its a 3 week treatment. Treat for 3 consecutive days and then 4 days off, then the cycle starts again, 3 days on 4 days off for total of 21 days.

Now, the reason why you see the one treatment for seven days on the package is because they assume you are not performing daily water changes. Also, "supposedly" prazi does not denature or weaken each passing day. I prefer to do a good tank clean/water change and re-dose each day. Its been a long time since I've used Praziquantel for flukes. You must have sensitive fish, such as tetras or scaleless fish.

Eddie
    Why 3 weeks? IMO its better and not expesnive if u do the bath (prazi or salt) and move all fishes (after bath) to clean hospital for 3 days(9 if it was gill flukes - repeat bath ) and move them back to main tank(in main flukes gonna die after 2 days )
    Last edited by Witos; 05-11-2010 at 08:47 PM.
    www.DVTESTER.com

Quote Originally Posted by Witos View Post
    Why 3 weeks? IMO its better and not expesnive if u do the bath (prazi or salt) and move all fishes (after bath) to clean hospital for 3 days(9 if it was gill flukes - repeat bath ) and move them back to main tank(in main flukes gonna die after 2 days )

If that is better for you, use your method.
    Visit Eddie's Place

Registered Member

Smile Re: Praziquantel products and adverse reactions

I have used pure Praziquantel for 2 years now and have never had any adverse reactions. In fact, I have a much higher success rate with my discus. I have kept discus for 18 years. I use praziquantel on a regular basis, about every 3-6 months as I feed live white worms and on rare occassions, black worms. I was told by my Prazi source that you couldn't overdose with Prazi. Having said that, I still stick to the recommended amount. I puree mine with aquarium water, in a blender for a minute, let it sit for 15 minutes, and then puree it again for a couple minutes. It seems to dissolve almost completely this way. I have never tried vodka. Maybe I will. At any rate, I just wanted to express my experience with Prazi.

Registered Member

I agree Eddie. If I think my discus' are having an issue, I always raise the temp. to 90 degrees and add salt, 1 cup per 50 gallons. That usually brings them around. If not, I go to plan B which is trying to diagnose the problem and responding accordingly.

I also use salt first. But I'll add up to 3 cups per 50gal and don't raise the temp.
    Kacey

Registered Member

I would like to ask, how long prazi is active in the water?
    Barbara
    member of the Polish Club of Discus Lovers (PKMD)

Quote Originally Posted by Gajowa View Post
    I would like to ask, how long prazi is active in the water?
    I've just spoken with a fish vet (Fiona MacDonald) and she tells me that prazi will remain active for many days as it is stable in water.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast