ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: % of infertile males?

Default % of infertile males?

Can anyone guess at the percent of males that will be infertile? Is it a high number or low?

Default Re: % of infertile males?

It would interesting to know also how many male people think are sterile while the problem is somewhere else, like water in tank to hard.
    FrancK
    2018 year of the big tank!!!.

You both have interesting points. Doesn't certain medications also hurt the fertility of fish too? I've seen tanks at the LFS where they automatically (or if an outbreak occurs) they treat the tanks. Maybe this will also have an effect on the possible fertility of a fish?

Tina

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by tpl*co View Post
    You both have interesting points. Doesn't certain medications also hurt the fertility of fish too? I've seen tanks at the LFS where they automatically (or if an outbreak occurs) they treat the tanks. Maybe this will also have an effect on the possible fertility of a fish?

Tina
    I never thought of that. If medicine was the case, then that explains why the eggs did not get any wrigglers.

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

I read somewhere once that 5% of human males have no/low fertility. It wouldn't surprise me if that was a close figure for the discus as well. I think some males are just poor breeders, and just plain won't cooperate when breeding. Wheather they are fertile or not is pretty irrelevent if they won't pass over the eggs properly.

Registered Member Darren's Discus's Avatar

I myself think most of the problems with eggs not hatching or being eaten before they hatch is mainly due to poor water,or like you said Rod lazy males not passing over the eggs properly.The actual % of infertile males would be very low.

cheers
    Darren Burgess
    Townsville Queensland Australia
    townsvillerocks@gmail.com