AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DI Units pros...cons...etc

Default Re: DI Units pros...cons...etc

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Field Supply View Post
    If you go with a "DI only" approach, yes, you'll go through DI resin quickly.

Does resin take out ntrates? Yes.

Your nitrates are above the EPA limit for safe drinking water (10 ppm).

Russ
    ....Along with probably half the population that has a well in the Eastern US. LOL!
    Last edited by Darrell Ward; 09-16-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    Darrell

Here is a link to the Kent Deion you were looking for....http://www.petsolutions.com/storefro...Deion200R.html
    Darrell

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    ....Along with probably half the population that has a well in the Eastern US. LOL!
    That may be - but not a laughing matter. Nitrates are bad news in high concentrations, especially for infants. Don't ignore the presence of high nitrates in your drinking water.

Couple of thoughts re that separate bed deionizer.

1. Its is WAY over priced.
    2. It is uncommon for anion and cation beads to have the same capacity, so in the separate bed systems we design for instance, we don't use equal quantities of anion and cation resin.
    3. You'd want a sediment filter ahead of the carbon block.

Russ

Registered Member

Maybe run a 5 micron to 1 micron to carbon block to di? Would that give the resins a decent lifespan? Or not make much difference? Could I use a 'di add on unit' designed to go after ro?

Remember that prefilters (sediment filters, carbon blocks) don't remove TDS - so although they would protect the resin from sediment and from VOC's including chlorine, no, they wouldn't have much effect on the DI resin lifespan.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by D9VIN View Post
    Maybe run a 5 micron to 1 micron to carbon block to di? Would that give the resins a decent lifespan? Or not make much difference? Could I use a 'di add on unit' designed to go after ro?
    Yes you Can use an add on di after the ro, that's the only place you should use one at.

A di chamber is used to make near pure water from an ro filter pure, any other use is just a waste and very expensive.

If you tried to use a sediment filter with a di cartride you would be lucky to get 10 gals out of it.

There's no way around it.
    Last edited by Sean Buehrle; 09-18-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Registered Member

So ro is really the only effective way to lower tds? There is no other filter that has no waste for hardness?

So ro is really the only effective way to lower tds? There is no other filter that has no waste for hardness?
    I'm pretty sure there's not, nope.

All RO unit that I know of will produce waste water (some better than others). People use various ways to collect the waste water for other usages. There is a zero waste retrofit kit sold by WATTS that will pump the wate water into your hot water heater line. https://www.wattspremier.com/product...e-Retrofit-Kit

It sounds interesting for the low production system but I doubt it's effective for someone who is producing 100+ gallons per day.

Van

Registered Member

How much waste water is produced per 10 gallons of RO/DI water? I am thinking about purchasing a unit from one of the sponsor but if i am going to produce 10 gallons of waste water per 10 gallons of RO/DI water, that would be alot of wasted water.

Quote Originally Posted by pennex1 View Post
    How much waste water is produced per 10 gallons of RO/DI water? I am thinking about purchasing a unit from one of the sponsor but if i am going to produce 10 gallons of waste water per 10 gallons of RO/DI water, that would be alot of wasted water.
    It really depends on the quality of the RO unit, your water pressure, water temperature, what TDS you start out with and whether it's a "zero waste" system. You could see as much as 100 gallons of waste for a bad system.

Van

Registered Member

But from what I understand, a 'good' ratio would be 2:1 waste ie for every 10 gallons produced, 20 gallons wasted.

But from what I understand, a 'good' ratio would be 2:1 waste ie for every 10 gallons produced, 20 gallons wasted.
    2:1? That would be great and I would call it exceptional. Most system are usually classify as 4:1

Registered Member

that is a lot of waste. can the waste be circulate back and go through the RO process again? have to rethink this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast