ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silicone warning

Default Re: SiliconE warning

those "safe" silicones are ok for re-sealing a tank, but for construction or large tanks %100 silicone RTV should be used.

Registered Member

Here's a forum link on silicone.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/v...r=asc&&start=0

Bottom line......... GE I, II or DAP are safe to use as long as they are not mildew resistant or contains anti molding. "Windows and Doors" (blue) does not contain antimolding, so it is safe. "Kitchen and bath" and "tile" contains anti mold.

I have personally used both GEI and GE II Windows and doors and did not have any problem with them.

Registered Member

Having experience with Poison dart frog and build vivariums, we tend to use tons of silicone in construction. One dendroboard.com there are tons of threads on this. One person ended up contacting GE and they said that they have always put the mold inhibitor in the window and door products, they just started marketing it. Does this mean you should use it....no. But if you have already used it, I wouldnt go start draining tanks and ripping silicone out unless you see problems.

Hi Jason,

Where could I find the silicone RTV at? Thanks.

David

Oops, did a little research myself. Here is a good article (I thinK) on RTV silicone and its use - http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com...-silicone.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    those "safe" silicones are ok for re-sealing a tank, but for construction or large tanks %100 silicone RTV should be used.
    Last edited by 3DDiscus; 10-04-2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Found answer

Real Name
    Ricardo

i used the GE I to hold my retaining wall together. so far so good but if i would have seen this thread before-hand i might have been more hesitant about using it. it was super cheap though and you get a lot for your buck. hopefully i do not have dead fish down the line.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I just bought the GE I because I read somewhere in another thread that it was the one to use. So it seem like folks are still using it and are okay, but one never know. My problem is the 140 g. tank that I only had for about 5 months or so had the center brace, a tank long 3 in. wide 1/2 in. thick glass, just fell off! Without it, the center bow out by about a 1/4", not good. So I need a really strong silicone and hope the RTV will work.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    i used the GE I to hold my retaining wall together. so far so good but if i would have seen this thread before-hand i might have been more hesitant about using it. it was super cheap though and you get a lot for your buck. hopefully i do not have dead fish down the line.

Just went to Home Depot and Orchard Supply, no RTV silicone. But I did find at Orchard a product from DAP, Household Adhesive Sealant, 100% silicone and they labeled it as "Aquarium Safe" http://www.dap.com/product_details.a...67&SubcatID=10

Also, they have a product called Silicone Begone that will remove it. Thought this migh help.

Registered Member

i used GE I few months ago for my 36 gallon... fish arent dying , sometimes it gets ( or at least i think ) that whitish film over the silicone...

Registered Member

Put me in the GE II bracket.. I just checked my caulk gun.. and damn.. I did use it.. but only around the top inside edge glass to moldings. the prior owner said the tank had a very small leak. .but I traced it to the upper area around the top molding. No other leaks found. So I put a seal all around.
    Its out of the actual tank water.. so I think I am o.k. Fish are happy discus.
    Cheers..
    Floppy Fin's

Default Re: qy1China use aw dragonflies for clinical functiox9

reported
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

Registered Member

I build and repair aquariums and I use GE 1 on all my projects. If a silicone says "100% silicone" there can not be any additives or it would no longer be 100%. I always read the label just to be sure. I have sealed hundreds of tanks both fresh and salt with this product and never had an issue with fish, corals, or inverts being effected. If anyone ever has a question about a tank repair feel free to E-mail me and I'll do my best to help you figure it out.

Here is the info:
    Stock # GE012A
    GE Silicone 1 Clear
    Window/Door/Attic/Basement
    100% Silicone
    Permanently Weatherproof

Specifications:
    Meets Fed Specs and is compliant for incidental food contact under FDA 21 CFR177.2600 "Rubber articles intended for repeated use".
    Last edited by joefish72; 12-07-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joefish72 View Post
    I build and repair aquariums and I use GE 1 on all my projects. If a silicone says "100% silicone" there can not be any additives or it would no longer be 100%. I always read the label just to be sure. I have sealed hundreds of tanks both fresh and salt with this product and never had an issue with fish, corals, or inverts being effected. If anyone ever has a question about a tank repair feel free to E-mail me and I'll do my best to help you figure it out.

Here is the info:
    Stock # GE012A
    GE Silicone 1 Clear
    Window/Door/Attic/Basement
    100% Silicone
    Permanently Weatherproof

Specifications:
    Meets Fed Specs and is compliant for incidental food contact under FDA 21 CFR177.2600 "Rubber articles intended for repeated use".
    Hi Joe, recently my 4x2x2ft tank's black silicone started to peel off. I intend to DIY reseal it, cause tank-makers in my country don't do reseal work.. ;((

Today I bought a tube of clear silicone, cause I read somewhere they said clear is better sealing and last longer than black silicone. I can't find GE silicone here, I found this instead.. Can I use it to reseal, are the different grade in term of strength bonding..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used this Ge scs 1200 silicone for the pas few years and never had a problem with it. It's not hard to find online.
    http://www.petsandponds.com/en/aquar...p17153112.html
    A wise man learns by the mistakes of others, a fool by his own. - Latin Proverb

Registered Member
    Real Name
    joseph barge

thanks just did a tank with GE silicone but had a few older tubes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12