ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: YUCK... Canister filter hoses

Default YUCK... Canister filter hoses

Okay, so my Rena XP3 is up and running approx. 3 mos. now. I love it, it's doing a great job of filtering the tank, but now I've got a buildup of gunk inside the hoses. It's so bad that if I turn the filter off, when I restart it, it shoots out pieces of what I assume is algae - looks like a snow storm in my tank. Of course, the very ample ambient room light that I have, which the plants are loving, isn't helping this hose mess. I know that I can clean the hoses but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to just get 5/8 pond hose, which is black. I assume that would stop the growth of this stuff in the hoses? Is there any reason why I can't or shouldn't do this?

Connie
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Default Re: YUCK... Canister filter hoses

I'm guessing you're posting this b/c your hose are clear and you can see all the gunk inside it?

I don't think a black hose will make a difference. I have Fluval 404s and their hoses are gray and not transparent. I clean out the hoses a couple months at a time and it's still gunky.
    --Reid

Registered Member

I have Fluval 304 and 404 that do the same thing. How do you clean out the hoses? I never did that.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhoundfan View Post
    I'm guessing you're posting this b/c your hose are clear and you can see all the gunk inside it?

I don't think a black hose will make a difference. I have Fluval 404s and their hoses are gray and not transparent. I clean out the hoses a couple months at a time and it's still gunky.
    Reid, yep, they're clear hoses. But not only can I see the gunk, it snows in my tank when I turn the filter back on. How often do you clean your hoses? You said a couple months at a time, which is? I'd have to do it about every other month. Seems like a lot of trouble!
    Connie

Quote Originally Posted by FishLover888 View Post
    I have Fluval 304 and 404 that do the same thing. How do you clean out the hoses? I never did that.
    I know Eheim makes a special brush that you can pull thru the hose. Still a PITA, if you ask me!
    Connie

I go two mos. between cleanings. One hose one month, than the next month clean the other hose and so forth. It's PITA. It doesn't completely elliminate the snow problem. I get that too. My discus enjoys Winter time any ways.

Fish Lover, I have a tube cleaner, is's "wirey" flexible brush that let's me clean one end, than I clean out the other end.

http://www.petsolutions.com/Brush+Ki...510683-I-.aspx

something like this but is longer and attahced to a spring..
    --Reid

Its actually a bacteria mulm that is being blasted in your tank. A pull through brush on a long stiff peice of nylon cord is what is needed. The pipes shpould be cleaned when you see this happening.

The build up can be such that it impairs the water flow.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

I have a Fluval 305 and it see the same "snow flake" came out after I clean the filter ... However, I am not too concern because I saw my Discus actually eating those stuff ... Or should I be concern about the fish eating it ?

I don't think its necessarily harmful, I have seen fish mouth it before but not eat it. The concern is that you never quite know what's in it. I'm sure they would get worse though from mouthing poops, and I've seen them do that too.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

I gte that as well in ALL my canisters. its just bacteria etc building up. If you clean the hoses in between the times you clean the filter, you wont get the snowstorm. It only takes a minute, and keeps everything running well.

Although it isnt going to win sexy awards, it wont end up on Mike Rowe's show either (dirty jobs).

My husband came up with a great idea for the hoses which is what I think I'll do! He suggested that I have another set of hoses, complete with the quick disconnect valve to the XP3, and the connections to the intake tube and spraybar. I can disconnect the set of hoses and replace it immediately with the clean set. Then I can clean the removed set of hoses and have it ready for the next time. Sounds quick and easy to me.
    Connie

Do you use the spray bar??? Whenever I shut down the filter, I insert the spraybar inside a knee-hi. I twist the end so it won't pop off. Once the filter is restarted and the "blowout" is over, I remove the knee-hi.

No more snowstorm. As far as the hoses, I clean them once every three months. For whatever reason, they seem to get dirty, then slowly clear up to barely dirty, then get black again. The use of a prefilter on my intakes also makes a difference.

HTH
    Marilyn

Registered Member diamond_discus's Avatar

I tried to use a pre-filter before but it seems to slow down the water flow. Maybe I should try again.

Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: YUCK... Canister filter hoses

I like the "another set of hoses, complete with the quick disconnect valve to the XP3". I never thought of that. Such an easy solution.

I have a Ehiem 2227 and clean the tubes every two months. Every time I do it I'm always worried about taking too long. With the extra set it would be easier and quicker.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by marilyn1998 View Post
    Do you use the spray bar??? Whenever I shut down the filter, I insert the spraybar inside a knee-hi. I twist the end so it won't pop off. Once the filter is restarted and the "blowout" is over, I remove the knee-hi.

No more snowstorm. As far as the hoses, I clean them once every three months. For whatever reason, they seem to get dirty, then slowly clear up to barely dirty, then get black again. The use of a prefilter on my intakes also makes a difference.

HTH
    Marilyn, that IS a good idea. Even if I do get the extra set of hoses as I said above, and I'm sure that's what I'll do, I'd still try your idea once the snow starts. I only have time to do maintenance things on Sundays and the kneehigh would keep the snow out of the tank if it began during the week, and get me thru to Sunday! Thanks.
    Connie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast