• Casio

0 0%
  • Fujifilm

3 6.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What digital camera do you use

Default What digital camera do you use

Just curious as to the more popular cameras people use and how you like them if you wish to post.

I only have room for 10 on the poll, so list others if you have them.

I have an older sony mavica which is starting to give a bit of trouble with the type of battery that it takes.
    It also uses floppy discs, which are getting a bit harder to find.
    It sometimes does not save the pic or gives trouble transferring the pic to the computer.

So

I broke down and bought an olympus with a 10 times optical zoom. 6.1 megapixel and many features. It does not have the digital or optical stabalization as some of the newer cameras, but as much of an amateur as I am, it has taken some pretty impressive pics so far. (only played with it a bit in the last 2 days)

thanks for sharing
    maybe it will help others interested in a camera

Ardan

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Default Re: What digital camera do you use

I have a Canon PowerShot A410 ~ I like it ~ but I want Amber's or Dan's!

Marie ~

Nikon D70 SLR with std lense is a Sigma 28-300. Lovely bit of kit. I also have a nikor lens for it too.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

My old cam was a Sony Cybershot DSC-H1 but for Christmas I was upgraded to a Sony A100 DSLR by my wonderful husband!! Only have two lenses right now.. the one that came with the kit which is the 18-70mm lens and we just got me the 75-300mm zoom lens the other night. More to come.. No Marie.. not the $5999.99 one! Unless someone here would like to buy me this? (Its a Sony lens. It has a MOTOR in it!)
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Nikon D70 SLR with std lense is a Sigma 28-300. Lovely bit of kit. I also have a nikor lens for it too.
    You been holding out on me!! I knew I always liked your pics. I guess I never did ask what equipement you have tho.
    Amber

Quote Originally Posted by AmberC View Post
    You been holding out on me!! I knew I always liked your pics. I guess I never did ask what equipement you have tho.
    The equipment is first class the idiot using it though.....
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

I am very interested in this thread because I am in the market for a new digital camera. I am going to buy an SLR. These are the three that I am considering.

Sony A100
    Nikon D80
    Cannon XTi 400

To me the body's are all very similar in quality. The key I know is the lens. I am wondering of those that are experienced which brand makes the better lens? I think that the Nikon is the better camera but the Sony has more features and may be the better buy... I was told by the sales rep that the Cannon takes better moving pictures. Who knows he could be getting a better commission on that camera...lol

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Aquaria View Post
    I am very interested in this thread because I am in the market for a new digital camera. I am going to buy an SLR. These are the three that I am considering.

Sony A100
    Nikon D80
    Cannon XTi 400

To me the body's are all very similar in quality. The key I know is the lens. I am wondering of those that are experienced which brand makes the better lens? I think that the Nikon is the better camera but the Sony has more features and may be the better buy... I was told by the sales rep that the Cannon takes better moving pictures. Who knows he could be getting a better commission on that camera...lol

Dan
    Dan,

A lot of this come down to personal preference and to what you are wanting to use the camera for. The D80 is the next model up from the D70 but shares many common features I'm told.

My company has a division that specializes in the commercial photographic rental market, we rent top end digital cameras and lenses to professional photographers. When I was looking at getting a DSLR they advised me then that the ccd was as important if not more so than raw mega pixels. They also advised that at the price point I was looking at that the Nikon ccd takes some beating. Also another of our divisions rents specialized movie cameras to the movie market including some very clever technology that makes use of multiple stills cameras, their view on lenses is that nikor lenses are supreme. Thats why I got the Nikon.

hth,
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

seems the experts at DigitalReview agree with pcsb23. in their side by side comparision of the Sony A100, Nikon D80 and the Canon Digital Rebel XTi, the Nikon wins out, Canon 2nd and the Sony last.

"Conclusion: When viewed as a total package the Nikon D80 maintains a definate advantage over its competitors with its combination of advanced metering capabilities, brighter viewfinder system, enhanced AF performance, industry leading flash technology, superior camera handling (ergonomics) and expanded feature set.

The Canon Digital Rebel XTi is a solid performer in its own right, certainly the lightest and most compact, and with its very capable feature set, good image quality, wide range of optional system accessories and relatively aggressive price point will be sure to be another Canon success.

The Sony A100 is a good camera and particularly worth the investment if you already have an extended system of compatible Minolta AF lenses. If you are looking however at buying into a new camera system (moving up from a point and shoot) then we would definately recommend taking a closer look at Canon or Nikon since we feel that both of these manufacturer's have considerably more advantages to offer compared to the Sony A100.

We personally really like the new Nikon D80 and feel that for the extra $200 CDN or so compared to the price of the Canon Digital Rebel XTi (body only pricing) the Nikon D80 does offer a number of distinct advantages in terms of useability, performance and features. In the end however you really can't go wrong with either of these two cameras."
    http://www.digitalreview.ca/cams/A100vsD80vsXTi.shtml

LOL Paul!

Tim.. you just wait. I am on a photography forum and been in a lot of camera stores asking about the three top cams. The concensus is that Sony is last because they haven't made a name for themselves. I see them coming up tho. Once people start realizing. Sony is awesome and the A100 is a simply amazing camera. I love it. And the Sony DSC-H1.. for not being an SLR.. WOW.. that is all I can say.
    Amber

Mine is a FujiFilm S602 that would take great pics if only I knew how to use it. As it is, I just put it on "full auto" and hope for the best. I get some good pics out of it (accidently) by using the old "shoot a hundred, get one good one" method.

Kacey

Registered Member Elite Aquaria's Avatar

Timbo,
    That was some review..it took me a few min to read the whole thing. Thanks for sharing.

Paul,
    What is CCD?

I was already leaning toward the Nikon before I read this review and now even more. Unless Amber can convince me with some new pics

Ardan,
    Sorry for hijacking your post

Dan

Real Name
    Walter

I love my Canon EOS 20D digital SLR - coming from an 'old school/ mostly manual' 35mm camera (Canon AE-1 Programme - I used it for 20 years), I'm familiar enough with what most of the settings do, lighting, etc... I think the digital SLR beats the 'point and shoot' digital cameras for taking aquarium pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Walter

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Most of the pics i post are taken with a kodak cx-7300, i like it because it is so easy and pretty nice pics in general. I also have a fujifilm s5600 which is pretty good too, not as user friendly as the kodak but prob gives a better pic (my wife loves this one and uses it most of the time). I also have a really old manual slr fuji stx-2 which i absolutely love, i get my best pics from that one and normally take that to fish shows with me or for the microscope, but is not very convienient for general shots.

Rod

i just got the Niko D80 with the Nikor lens, I also got a 70 -300 G lens. I really like it so far. I find that it is laid out very well, the common controls are easy to change. It is a little smaller than the D70.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast