AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Seafood Mix Recipes Here.....

Default Re: Seafood Mix Recipes Here.....

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Bree, looks like a decent recipe but I would highly advise against adding the deworming flake to the mix. This may cause problems down the road. You never want to medicate fish at small amounts, constantly. The deworming flake is made to treat fish and it also has strict guidelines on how to use it.

Eddie
    Thanks for the info
    I'll definitely leave that out of my next batch!
    -Bree7
    {life is good}

Quote Originally Posted by Bree7 View Post
    Thanks for the info
    I'll definitely leave that out of my next batch!
    Absolutely. Meds should be used only for specific problems.
    Kacey

Quote Originally Posted by kaceyo View Post
    Absolutely. Meds should be used only for specific problems.
    I misread the directions on the bag. It said "feed once every other day as the last meal of the day" but I didn't see the next line down which said "continue for 5 feedings to complete the medication process."

So thank you guys for pointing that out, I wouldn't have noticed it! I'll probably just dump this batch then.
    -Bree7
    {life is good}

Quote Originally Posted by Bree7 View Post
    I misread the directions on the bag. It said "feed once every other day as the last meal of the day" but I didn't see the next line down which said "continue for 5 feedings to complete the medication process."

So thank you guys for pointing that out, I wouldn't have noticed it! I'll probably just dump this batch then.
    That really would be the best way to go. Finish the treatment if you havn't already, then toss it.
    Maybe you know some fish folk that could use up some of it?
    Kacey

Just got done doing this one that Eddie mentioned... took advantage of this time while my wife is out of town to use her processor (she'd have a heart attack if she knew I used her damn food processor with raw fish )... but I forgot to put the ******* banana in!!!!!!!!!! And it was right next to the processor! Uuggghhhh... ah well, guess I have a banana to put in my lunch for tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Since I only have a small food processor, here is my seafood mix. It makes a good slab that lasts about 1 month since I feed my discus a variety of food. They tear this up though!

1 cup raw tuna
    1/2 cup of sea salmon
    4 shrimps
    4 mussels (occasionally)
    1 tbsp ground pellets
    1/4 cup of Prime Reef flake
    1 tbsp liquid vitamins
    1/4 cup boiled frozen spinach
    1/2 extremely ripe banana
    1 crushed garlic clove
    1/4 tsp paprika

I just throw everything into the food processor and viola! It has some small bits still visible. Maybe 15-20 seconds max. Then I plop everything in a sandwich size freezer bag and throw it in the freezer. Once frozen, I tear the bag off the block and place it on a chopping board. I cut the block into nice cubes, about the size of a FBW cube and then put all the cubes into a freezer bag and place it in the freezer. It's easy to just grab a cube and throw it in the tank.

Another larger mix

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69130

Eddie
    -Elliot

LMAO! I dont use banana anymore but when I did, it had to be SUPER ripe! Like serious banana bread ready! HAhahahaha
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

And NOW YOU TELL ME!!!???!! HA! I left out the part about telling the seafood section guy at Harris Teeter I needed 1 cup of tuna, 1/2 cup of wild salmon, and 4 shrimp And I kept a straight face the ENTIRE time. I felt like Ron Burgundy
    -Elliot

Registered Member

Nice food info here thank you.

I'm wondering why no one listed carrots in their recipes...anyone want to chime in on the negatives. I haven't made any prepared for for my discus yet but when i used to for arowanas i always added carrots for color.

Quote Originally Posted by ROOK45 View Post
    I'm wondering why no one listed carrots in their recipes...anyone want to chime in on the negatives. I haven't made any prepared for for my discus yet but when i used to for arowanas i always added carrots for color.
    I've used carrots in the past, brings out the red/orange color. Its just not what I use any longer.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

what can i use in substitution for beefheart or beefmeat?,here in indonesia beefhearts are hard to find,and also beefs are so expensive,so far i use chicken heart,is it okay?,is there anything else i can use?.
    thanks in advance..

Registered Member

Wow, that's a lot of chickens, ;-). How about fish meal... I have used a grow chow that the fish farms use on catfish. Takes awhile but the discus will start to take it.

Registered Member

Guys, you have to try this seafood salad! Very yammy and easy to make! Check it out:

Ingredients
    Marinade: 1/2 cup olive oil extra virgin
    4 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
    2 cloves garlic grated or finely minced
    1/2 teaspoon oregano dried
    salt and pepper to taste
    red pepper flakes pinch, optional
    8 cups white vinegar
    1 pound shrimp peeled, deveined
    1 pound scallops baby
    1 pound calamari cut into ½ inch rings
    1 pound baby octopus
    1-1½ cups celery diced small
    1 small red pepper diced small
    1 large carrot diced small
    1/4 cup Italian parsley minced
    lemon wedges and parsley for garnish

Step 1
    In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.

Step 2
    In a large stockpot, fill with 1 gallon of water, the baby octopus, and ½ cup of white vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. When you can easily pierce the skin with a fork, they are done. Remove from pot and let cool off.

Step 3
    In a medium stockpot, bring 8 cups of white vinegar to a boil. Add the shrimp and allow to simmer for 1½-2 minutes (depending on the size). Remove from pot and set aside to cool off. In the same pot, add the baby scallops and simmer for 1-1½ minutes. Remove and set aside to cool off. Again, in the same pot, add the calamari and simmer for about 10 minutes until tender. Remove and set aside to cool off.

Step 4
    Chop the vegetables and the Italian parsley. Combine the seafood with the chopped vegetables, parsley and marinade and mix to combine. Refrigerate for the flavors to develop. Garnish with lemons, minced parsley and a drizzle of olive oil before serving.

I took this recipe from here: seafood salad Enjoy)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345