ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need huigh temp heater

Default Need huigh temp heater

So where do i purchase a high temp thermometer? need one to get up to 96 for treating some fish.

Registered Member

Default Re: Need huigh temp heater

Not sure if you can get standard heater to get above 94 (which in my opinion is sufficient while treating discus) but I would check http://www.kensfish.com/ look for Jager.

Peter

Registered Member

Cobalt neo therm- luv em!

None of the ones I get get above 92. I have some fish that stop eating and over time some die and I dont know why, tried everything and talked to someone whom said that I should try raising the temp up to 95. But none of mine go that high.

Real Name
    Tony

get the heater with controller or just the controller. Plug your current heater to it and turn all the way to your set temp. i love my titanium heaters.
    My Fish Space
    300gallon Bare Bottom Tank [COMPLETED]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "seek peace and pursue it"

Real Name
    TONY

JEHMCO - ETCI Temperature Controller w/ receptacle and 500 watt Titanium Heater or ETCI Temperature Controller w/ receptacle and 1000 watt Titanium Heater. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"

Well going to purchase the controllers tomorrow and hope this works. Had another fish die. they just arent eating as well as they should. And cant figure what can be wrong. Water changed daily, good wter parameters. I do see one that has more breathing gills flaring out than normal. So will see if maybe tthis temp. Will work. You bring it up to 95 over 3 days and leave it there for 5 days and then slowly bring it down again right?

Bought mine from John @ Jehmco...he'll also answer any ?s you have....

Dottie
    TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!!

PROUD TO BE A FOUNDING MEMBER OF NADA! MAY WE CONTINUE TO PROSPER!

Ok will try him
    thanks

Registered Member

I think people on SD recommend raising the temp to 90 not 95 but my memory can be wrong. I do not think raising the temp to 95 instead of 90 will be of much help to your Discus but it will possibly harm other fish and plants.

Ok, well getting a Thermometers from Cobalt Neo, Jehmco does not have any Titanium ones right now and dont know when they are getting them. Will try this. Can I clarify what the temp needs to be to kill the parasites?

Real Name
    TONY

I gather from above your reference to 'thermometer' you mean HEATER. Not familiar with that brand heater but should work w/ either Jehmco or other controller to maintain stable high temp. As to the parasites, have they been identified? Are you using meds? As to temp increase. 90/92 for a week or so will speed up the metabolism & increase the appetite. Can't say much more cause I don't know what you're trying to cure!? "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick

Real Name
    TONY

Another thought. With increased temps there is less oxygen so an air stone might serve you well. Mega daily W/C's of 75/90% will be beneficial. "T"

I really dont know if it is parasites for sure. I have tried meds and they still are not eating as well. they dont look sick at all except they wont eat and slowly die, and one day they are dead. so this is just a last resort to try and see if this will work. I have other fish eating fine in another 90 gallon tank and a pair that steadily lays eggs and they seem fine. Its just a dozen young ones that have been doing this. So I thought it was worth a try.I did raise temps but that does not work either. their size is 3"-5' inches with the young ones. I do have one big one that has a gill extended out at times, so I can only guess. I change water everyday, but nothing seems to help. Oh yes I meant heater, sorry.

Registered Member

Did you give a full course of meds as directed on the package? Did you retreat because sometimes that is necessary. What meds and dosage did you use? After treatment fish may need time to recover.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast