AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: "Extra" Tanks

Default "Extra" Tanks

Extra tanks is an oxymoron, but I digress. I'll be picking up my discus from Bob at Upper Canada Discus shortly. I've been reading, talking, and preparing for their arrival.

I will more than likely end up with a couple of very different sizes of fish, ranging from2.5", to 4". Bob tells me this isn't so good to put them together at such a difference in size, since the bigger ones will outcompete the smaller ones for dinner lol.

So I have been seeding sponges for a couple of weeks, and need some advice.

I have a 55 gallon (48"L x 12W), and am looking to stack tanks.I was thinking that longer term, 2 - 20 gallon (24Lx12W) might work. I would put sponges in the smaller 2 as well.

Would this work?

Default Re: "Extra" Tanks

We need to know how many of each size.
    Mama Bear

I don't exactly know how many. I am likely to get only 8 fish max for now. so lets say of 4 each size.

Registered Member

Different people will have very different opinions on this one. If it were me I would put all 8 into the 55 gallon and see what happens. Much easier to take care of, especially should it become neccessary to medicate them. 2 1/2"-4" is not all that great a size difference IMO, although admittedly the larger ones will probably get more than their fair share of food.

The only thing that concerns me is that 8 adult discus is really too many in a 55 gallon, especially for someone just starting with discus. You would need to be doing massive water changes daily if you wanted to insure good growth from them all. I think you might be better off just getting 6 discus. Keep the 20's as Breeder/Hospital tanks for which they are a very good size. IMO as grow out tanks they are too small.
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

yes, it would difficult to be able to use the 20's because you would have to split up the fish into 2's and 3's for the 20's and they dont do as well (they will most likely fight) in very small groupings like that.

for the 55gal, you could put them all there, but if you didnt lose any (and i bought 11 from Bob last year and they are all still kickin'), you would most likely be shopping for a 90 gal in a few months.

Thats exactly what i did when i bought my gcse's, but they were quite small (1.5") at the time. I put all 11 in a 55 for about 3 months, then got a 90 and transferred them to that.

Your other option is to get 6 and grow them out in the 55 if you cant get, or dont have the room, for a 90 down the road.

Great choice in buying from Bob, you will not be disappointed.

They will all be going into a 125 gallon once they grow up a little. I just figured if they were too small.... but I will have 20 gallon breeding tanks..... It looks good all stacked up together.

It will be DISCUS CORNER in my living room lol.

But I need to go get heaters ......