AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Unplugged heaters overnight

Arrow Unplugged heaters overnight

Did a water change yesterday afternoon. I have been just unplugging the heaters but keep the ACs going. And I USUALLY remember to plug them back in afterwards! Woke up this morning, came down and saw lots of little snails on the front glass. I figured "ooo, great time to squish snails!" When I put my hand in the water, I could tell it was colder than usual. It was 78!! I have my tank at running at 82.

So, I drained out about 1/3 and added in warmer water. And I'm heading out the door for 4 days today. I hope the temp difference didn't throw them for a loop. The blue discus were dark blue before adding the warmer water but I notice now that at least they are swimming around out in the open. So that is good, I'm thinking.

Anything more I can do before going?

I'm an idiot sometimes.

.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Default Re: Unplugged heaters overnight

Small dips in temperature for a short period of time shouldn't matter too much. Sometimes when fish are shipped their water gets cold like that. As long as you have the heaters back on and you added some warmer water, they should be okay.

Thank you Ryan, that's good to know.

Registered Member

If you buy the heaters that can go underwater, there is no need to unplug them for water change as long as they are under water all the time.

I put mine almost at the bottom of the tank and even with a 70% WC, I don't need to unplug them.

Quote Originally Posted by FishLover888 View Post
    If you buy the heaters that can go underwater, there is no need to unplug them for water change as long as they are under water all the time.

I put mine almost at the bottom of the tank and even with a 70% WC, I don't need to unplug them.
    DITTO!!

hi traco

did the same thing myself a couple times, then bought one of those temperature alarm things and now i get notified if the temp drops below 82F or above 89F

they are like $30 each (cheap compared to the stress)

Registered Member

I keep my tanks in my very cold basement. When my last Won Brothers heater failed, the temperature in one of my tanks dropped to 64 degrees I was very lucky that all the fish survived in that tank. It could have been worse, I guess, if the heater had stuck in the on position.

Mike
    Mike Witek
    Napa CA

Real Name
    Jim

Pretty Doberman Dottie

Is that Korbi ??

Jim
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Real Name
    Walter

Just plug the heaters into the same power strip as the Aquaclear filters - that way you just need to flip one switch and everythings either on or off.
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Pretty Doberman Dottie

Is that Korbi ??

Jim
    Yes Jim, thank you, thats my Korbi gal!!! She was playing in the clover that day in NJ, having a great time teasing me.....Wish I had that clover here in Tn....even the horses love it...lol.... my breeder has half promised me a "black b!tch" this spring, if the gals have a couple, lol....I do worry 'bout that 1st 3 months, it's a killer, getting the pups house trained, but worth it in the long run....lol....

BTW guys'n gals, that Big Alert alarm system is the best, saved me couple times, wouldn't have a tank without it....& yes you gotta be there to hear it, but my friend who was "fish sitting" heard it & we "fixed" it.....lol, Dottie

Well, just phoned home to check and the temp is back up and looks like no one is the worse for wear. I do have everything plugged into a power bar but was unplugging the heaters from there. I have the heaters vertical on the corners in the back and not horizontal, too awkward for my tank.

Looks like a temp alarm is something I should invest in and I just made an order for some other things, dang, would have been nice to tack that on there.

Dottie, I love your girl!!! Horses, dobermans, fish, I think we'd get along just fine if we ever met!

Thanks everyone for your comments and info. I learned a lucky lesson today, good thing I didn't go away before I saw the heaters were unplugged. I'd hate to come home to something like that happening.