ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aquaclear power filters

Default Re: Aquaclear power filters

Ditto. I love aquaclear power filters. They're so much easier to maintain than the filter pad types (whispers, etc.) and i've yet to have one burn out, break impellor blades or leak on me. I run mine with the sponges and the new bio-media ceramic bags. I like the new bio-media bags as you don't have to worry so much about wiping out the bacteria in your sponge when you rinse it out thoroughly.

Big plug to the aquaclear line of filters.

Registered Member

I have aquaclear 110 and the filter acting up on me. I purchased its used 3month ago. Everything look clean and complete, but it doesn't want to suck up the water. I adjust the water level and that didn't help either. The profeller and motor look very clean. It's just making a lot of noise. I think replace the profeller would be reasonable, but need 2nd opinion. Any tips on repair this thing?

Registered Member

If it's really noisy, odds are good that you need a new impeller. The only other thing I can think of as to why it won't suck up the water is if you put the motor on backwards.
    users.kent.net/~lisab/ - Lisa's Lair

Got to love those discus!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lisachromis View Post
    If it's really noisy, odds are good that you need a new impeller. The only other thing I can think of as to why it won't suck up the water is if you put the motor on backwards.
    I have not take the impeller and motor apart so not sure. I will try to dissemble in the next few days.

Hi,
    Make sure the metal rod stays in the motor, if this is not in there or comes loose the impeller wobbles against the side of the motor and doesn't spin or makes noise.

hth
    Ardan

Quote Originally Posted by Beta123 View Post
    I have aquaclear 110 and the filter acting up on me. I purchased its used 3month ago. Everything look clean and complete, but it doesn't want to suck up the water. I adjust the water level and that didn't help either. The profeller and motor look very clean. It's just making a lot of noise. I think replace the profeller would be reasonable, but need 2nd opinion. Any tips on repair this thing?
    I had that happen with AC500 (now 110), only mine is 14 years old! I tried a new impeller and that did not help. I contacted Hagen and they sent me a new metal rod, the thin one that goes in through the center of the impeller... I replaced the old one as soon as I got the new one from Hagen, and the problem was solved.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Registered Member

I found the manual on the internet. It is easy to take apart. The only thing I'm not clear is taking the metal rod off. My guess would be push out through the bottom, but I didn't want to take a chance create a water leak. Any tips?
    Last edited by Beta123; 03-01-2007 at 01:20 AM.

HI,
    If you remove the motor from the bottom of the filter, the metal rod will pull up and out of the motor.

Hth
    Ardan

Registered Member

The motor shaft had been removed and it is very wear. I need to find the place that sale the shaft. I found a shaft for 402, 802, and 500 for $3.99 but not sure the right one. The seller doesn't response to my email so I didn't want to take a chance. Does anyone know where I can purchase it? I am in Seattle Washington.

The motor shaft had been removed and it is very wear. I need to find the place that sale the shaft. I found a shaft for 402, 802, and 500 for $3.99 but not sure the right one. The seller doesn't response to my email so I didn't want to take a chance. Does anyone know where I can purchase it? I am in Seattle Washington.
    I got mine straight from Hagen, the manufacturer. I went to their website and just contacted customer service. Here's a link to their parts:

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/sub...&PSUBCAT=10701
    Connie

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by poconogal View Post
    I got mine straight from Hagen, the manufacturer. I went to their website and just contacted customer service. Here's a link to their parts:

http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/sub...&PSUBCAT=10701
    How much do you pay for it? There is no phone# and the only way to contact them is by fill out the form from their web site.

How much do you pay for it? There is no phone# and the only way to contact them is by fill out the form from their web site.
    I don't remember, sorry, but I know it wasn't all that expensive. I filled out the form and they got back to me pretty quickly. I belive the part you need is the impeller shaft. I was very pleased with Hagen's customer service. Also, have you tried to google "impeller shaft aqua clear" and see what comes up?
    Connie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12