AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Flowering terrestrial plants for HOB filter?

Real Name
    Dave

Default Flowering terrestrial plants for HOB filter?

So I know one can use elephant ear and other plants in an HOB filter to help remove nitrates (I don't have many under 10ppm), but I was wondering if anyone knew of a flowering plant one could use in the HOB filter as I plan to increase the bio-load on the tank in a while (could be a couple months, could be less, could be more) by adding some juvenile discus (a group of 10 or less), some dither fish (cardinal or rummy nose tetra), and a school of Sterbai corries.

Currently there are two harlequin raspboras, one glow light tetra (groups of smaller tetras I found get eaten by an oversized Raphael striped catfish in the tank) which will be moved to one of my smaller tanks as I get the biotope set up as South American with the exception of the Anubias plants in the tank.

Does anyone have suggestions for a flowering plant that feeds through the roots and doesn't need a soil substrate?

Thanks,
    Dave
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Registered Member

Default Re: Flowering terrestrial plants for HOB filter?

Quote Originally Posted by dagray View Post
    So I know one can use elephant ear and other plants in an HOB filter to help remove nitrates (I don't have many under 10ppm), but I was wondering if anyone knew of a flowering plant one could use in the HOB filter as I plan to increase the bio-load on the tank in a while (could be a couple months, could be less, could be more) by adding some juvenile discus (a group of 10 or less), some dither fish (cardinal or rummy nose tetra), and a school of Sterbai corries.

Currently there are two harlequin raspboras, one glow light tetra (groups of smaller tetras I found get eaten by an oversized Raphael striped catfish in the tank) which will be moved to one of my smaller tanks as I get the biotope set up as South American with the exception of the Anubias plants in the tank.

Does anyone have suggestions for a flowering plant that feeds through the roots and doesn't need a soil substrate?

Thanks,
    Dave
    Peace lillies.