ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: The Madagascar Lace Plant

Default The Madagascar Lace Plant

I decided to take a crack at growing this beauty. I planted a single bulb in late April. The growth has been pretty impressive so far.image.jpgimage.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: The Madagascar Lace Plant

Not an easy plant to grow. If I remember correcly you want to keep them at medium to high light and with co2. Good job so far, but as it grows, it will demand more fertz and light.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

As Ricardo said, plus you also want to put it in a place where it gets some water flow. I think I have picked the best spot, and we will see how it goes.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Good work Frank. I hope everything in that tank grows in nicely for you. The discus are already nicely grown though .

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Mervin

Due to lack of water flow in that area,I do see cyanobacteria.Sometimes the silica in new substrates can cause this with a few other factors such as too much light /the wrong kind of light/low nitrates just to name a few causes.The best and easiest way to get rid of it would be three total days blackout of the entire tank and no pecking LOL.(cover with a dark blanket;no light at all should inter the tank.).Then try only 8-9 hours artificial light/day.This is how I got rid in a new set-up.It will go away once you eliminate one or two factors that make it grow.http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/bacteria/cyanointro.html

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Good work Frank. I hope everything in that tank grows in nicely for you. The discus are already nicely grown though .
    Thank you, Rick! It seems the plant has grown even more in the last 24 hours. You are always so positive to everyone here Rick, God bless you!

Real Name
    Tristan

You must have a green thumb! What are your water parameters? I've tried this plant once, a long time ago, and it melted. Please share.
    If you are listened to, be content.
    If you are not listened to, be more content. Meng Li

Quote Originally Posted by Twistofer View Post
    You must have a green thumb! What are your water parameters? I've tried this plant once, a long time ago, and it melted. Please share.
    Thanks, I try! 82 degrees, 6.2 ph, about 1 dh hardness. The plant will go dormant, pull the bulb and store in damp sand for a couple of months.

A small update, about one month later, and the plant grew out to a good size and looks great. I have ordered one more bulb.image.jpg