ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: So ya wanna planted Discus tank?

Registered Member

Default Re: So ya wanna planted Discus tank?

This is a pretty good read. I'm a member of Greater Washington Quatic PLant Association (www.gwapa.org) I think there's a great deal to learn over there. Also, take a look at another discus tank:
    http://www.gwapa.org/membergallery/v...=IMG_6955_Edit

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by ricoishere View Post
    This is a pretty good read. I'm a member of Greater Washington Quatic PLant Association (www.gwapa.org) I think there's a great deal to learn over there. Also, take a look at another discus tank:
    http://www.gwapa.org/membergallery/v...=IMG_6955_Edit
    that is one gorgeous tank

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Glad to see you back posting in the thread Hieko...

I see that you have expanded your horizons as far as planted tanks and Discus go.

You were pretty much anti plants a while back.

If you go back to my very first post in this thread you will see that I was striving for low tech, low light, and lots of plants for a beginner in the hobby. I also suggested adults to inhabit this same environment.

Others have came in and demonstrated that high tech tanks with injected c02 will have the Discus breeding all over the place.

This thread wasn't meant for high tech c02 injected tanks. It was meant for the hobbyist to enjoy a tank other than just bare bottom tank.

Now it doesn't matter if its a high tech tank or a low tech planted tank, it has been proven that Discus will do just fine in each scenario.

You mentioned that wilds wont do good in a c02 injected tank....I have no proof to the contrary, but I am sure it is out there. I also know wilds thrive in the same environment that I mentioned in the very first post. I have done it myself and several others on this forum have done the same.

No one ever suggested in this thread to put wilds in a c02 environment to begin with. Steve was proving that domestic breeds can flourish and breed in a high tech high c02 environment.

The bottom line is Discus can and will flourish in a planted tank whether it be high tech or low tech...

BTW... Imported wilds will adapt.
    Mark

Registered Member

Hi,

I just see this now. Came back from a funeral in Sweden, the jung wife of Sven O. Kullander passed away to young (on my website). She were describing some of my fishes...

Anyhow, I gave just some suggestions of more then 50 years of live experience with Discus (and other fresh- and brackish water fishes). You can do waht you feel is right or correct. I would not, simply because of my experience. And that is: Wild Discus do not drive very well with CO2 and and tnak breeds also not. And wild discus do not feel comfortable with many plants in the aquarium, and almsot same applies to tank breed discus.

That is all. But you do what you want, all I want is to help and pass on (my) experinence.

All the best
    Heiko Bleher
    Last edited by Chad Hughes; 01-12-2011 at 12:02 PM.

I see many planted tanks with domestic discus but wilds are almost always in a bare bottom or some sort of biotope. I wanted wilds and I think for them a biotope is best. my tank can't be anymore low tech. it's easy to clean, floating plants suck up the nitrates, and the wood, imho, is more pleasing to look at than bb.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    If you change the water as often as you should and don't use carbon (since this adds food for algae (trace P)), keep normal levels of light, no CO2 or IE (the fish and bio-filter, and some fine waste food provide all really needed for a low tech tank) then you get, in my opinion, all the benifits from plants - less need for water changes, and critically, more relaxed (happy) Discus, and all for very little extra work (some plant upkeep).

Thats my take.
    What would you define as "normal levels of light?"

I ask because I've met all the other conditions you mention - a clean, med-low plant load tank with normal light (or so I thought) and still eventually ended up with algae that required me to prune all the biggest leaves from my swords. I would get growth of nice clumps of new leaves, but never to that same size. It got so frustrating I gave up on keeping plants. So I wonder if my definition of normal light is wrong.

To go back to a popular example, "Heiko's Lesson" has 3x150w MH bulbs over top of it. I realize it's also a big tank, but that's an awful lot of light for a dozen or so swords. How the heck does that tank work without algae?

My goals for plants are the same as yours - slight aid to the fish and to look nice to me - and I have no need for super fast growth or huge plant volume. A row of swords across the back to look nice and green, filter some of the light, and hide the tank equipment is plenty for me. But I do like the color-enhancing effects of some nice bright light though... but I have a hard time understanding how that one tank was able to pull that off without growing a bunch of algae. Should I just be thinking in terms of 3-4 hours of light a day instead of 6-8?

Edit: I guess I've gotten away from thinking in terms of w/g. When I last had live plants I had 2x65w on for 8 hours or so. Over a 55g low tech this was too much. (There were actually times way back then when I'd have 260 watts of light over that 55 for short bursts!) But then I got a 30" high 110g and had that same 130w over it and still ended up with algae. Brightness-wise I was totally satisfied though, so I guess I don't require high light at all to satisfy me visually. Still, if 130:110 gave me algae, exactly double that (I'm looking at a 220g tank) will too unless I sort out what I was doing wrong there.
    Last edited by Dave B; 06-24-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Real Name
    Jim

I had my challenge fish in bare bottom and then switched them over to a sand bottom with some wood and plants and imo they seemed more relaxed and the breeding started. When they were switched back to bare bottom they seemed more nervous and the breeding stopped. They will be going back to a low tech setup soon.
    Jim
    Never to old to learn

Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    I see many planted tanks with domestic discus but wilds are almost always in a bare bottom or some sort of biotope. I wanted wilds and I think for them a biotope is best. my tank can't be anymore low tech. it's easy to clean, floating plants suck up the nitrates, and the wood, imho, is more pleasing to look at than bb.

Nice tank!!

Three more wilds in there would look very nice...

There are so many varieties of domestics and wilds out there. So many planted tanks, biotopes, low tech, high tech tanks. The only thing to do is to find what you like in a planted tank. When you realize what you want, just read a bit and understand what you need to do to get to that realization. There is no right or wrong way as long as the Discus and thier surroundings are content.
    Mark

Registered Member

Hi 3dees,

congratulations, a perfect biotope and I am sure your discus love it and are very happy, I can see.

This is the segret of aquarium keeping, decoration and plants - less is more.

Keep up the good work, I am very happy to see your aquarium and I appreciate specially, because some of my messages get through, and that is all I want,

think fish,

always

Heiko Bleher
    Last edited by Chad Hughes; 01-11-2011 at 06:51 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    I just LOVE your tank! I very recently looked at several discus biotope tank entries in the 2009 AGA contest, and your tank looks better IMHO.

Colin

thanks all. there are now 8 wild greens. here is an updated pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How big is your tank bud? I was thinkin it was a 65G but hey, everytime I think my brain starts hurtin!! I try an not think so much these days...
    Mark

grillmaster, it's a 120 gal. (48x24x24).

You did an outstanding job with it!!
    Mark

Real Name
    Vansu

Lightbulb Re: So ya wanna planted Discus tank?

Hello everyone,

Have anyone check out tropica.com?
    here is a great article:

http://www.tropica.com/advising/type...s-aquaria.aspx

They have a great article about planted discus aquarium. They also have list of recommanded plants and thank layout too etc. I think is a great site.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast