ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: So ya wanna planted Discus tank?

Default Re: So ya wanna planted Discus tank?

Quote Originally Posted by GrillMaster View Post
    There are a vast amount of plants that will survive discus temps. I have to agree that lighting, C02 an ferts can be a mad science...but...Keep it simple low lighting lots of appropriate plants such as fast growing stem plants, a little fert tabs under them. Lots of water changes and both plants and discus can thrive. It has been proven with several contests in which Al has donated hundreds of discus juvies to numerous contestants. Some strayed from the norm and actually had great sucess raising the juvies in a planted tank. Plants like the WC's just as much as the discus do, so dont be afraid to try it out. Just keep it simple...
    Yes there are plenty of plants that can live in discus temps, im just recommending reading about plants before you get them as some plants like hard or soft water, some NEED high light, others good soil, some cold water.....just like owning discus read a little before you buy and it will save headaches or ill give your money back!!!!

Well now Paul... Just how well put was that!!

England has the ball, a nice pass... The kick, the goalie cant handle it... GOAL!!!! (all kinds of yelling an stuff from the crowd right before the stands collapse)
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
    Yes there are plenty of plants that can live in discus temps, im just recommending reading about plants before you get them as some plants like hard or soft water, some NEED high light, others good soil, some cold water.....just like owning discus read a little before you buy and it will save headaches or ill give your money back!!!!
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...nk...-(photos)

Lots of good info here!
    Mark

Registered Member

Hello, i'm glad i started reading this post. I am in the process of becoming "new" to both the planted and the discus tank...got a 75 gal cycling as I type...only a week now, so I'm weighing my options BB or "planted". My plan is 1/2'' pool filter sand, manzanita dw...just showed up today and again soaking as i type. As for plants...was thinking potted, seems strange to me, but have seen some pics of tanks that look pretty nice with potted plants. Can't overpopulate with plants due to the pots, thinking maybe 3-4 approx 6'' clay pots with flourish tabs under the plants and fill with as many plants as will fit comfortably...take it easy on me if this sounds like a bad idea, looking for some input...I only read the 1st three pages of this thread, and since there's 13 I figured I throw my idea out there and see what you all thought...thanks in advance...Mark J

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnson View Post
    Hello, i'm glad i started reading this post. I am in the process of becoming "new" to both the planted and the discus tank...got a 75 gal cycling as I type...only a week now, so I'm weighing my options BB or "planted". My plan is 1/2'' pool filter sand, manzanita dw...just showed up today and again soaking as i type. As for plants...was thinking potted, seems strange to me, but have seen some pics of tanks that look pretty nice with potted plants. Can't overpopulate with plants due to the pots, thinking maybe 3-4 approx 6'' clay pots with flourish tabs under the plants and fill with as many plants as will fit comfortably...take it easy on me if this sounds like a bad idea, looking for some input...I only read the 1st three pages of this thread, and since there's 13 I figured I throw my idea out there and see what you all thought...thanks in advance...Mark J
    Mark, there are many on here who will say don't do it ... and with good reason or intent! If you have not kept planted tanks before then I would strongly advise against it too (I'm guessing you haven't had discus before!).

However your planting will be fine and the tank should look good. I'd also suggest getting adult or near adult discus too. To quote a previous response of mine ...

Do not underestimate the skill levels needed to have a healthy planted tank. And do not underestimate the skills, patience and determination needed to optimally grow out juvenile discus. Also be prepared for failure, because believe me it happens! Discus (and plants for that matter) can humble us in a heart beat! Do keep an open mind, enjoy the successes and failures and don't be shy to ask for help!

Also if it seems complicated, it is probably not needed, keep it as simple as possible for best results. Discus really only need lots of clean water at the right temp, lots of decent food and lots of patience.

Good luck.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

I'm so glad I found this thread! Before this, everyone was literally freaking out because I wanted to keep four young discus in a heavily planted 55 gallon.

One thing on crypts: each species has its own growth rate, but they are not fast growers. Sort of in the medium range, but they work just about anywhere once acclimated.

Registered Member

Good info

Registered Member

This is a great thread....my 90 gallon planted tank just recieved 4"+5" Discus and the combination looks incredible!

Registered Member

For a low tech 125gallon, what lighting would be recommended?

6 foot tank? 2x3foot dual or quad bulb T5NO's will be plenty for low light

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Registered Member

I have spent quite awhile reading through this and other planted tank threads, and I am really grateful for everyone's thoughts. I introduced (7) 3-5" discus from Kenny in a planted 150gallon.

I am using low-tech methods, and my lighting is just the standard 5' light that came with the tank. It's actually a 4' light in a 5' hood. At any rate, I have some lily pads, and the fish like to hide under them. I also have a driftwood cave that they like. I am hoping that they will discover the remaining 130gallons of space, but I just introduced them, so I'm giving them some time. They seem to enjoy the areas they have discovered, and they are very curious. They come right up to me when I approach the tank. Mine is definitely not the type that would be considered a "natural" setting, as I have 3" of eco-complete black substrate and have planted fairly heavily, with a few sporadic rocks. I have water lilies, vals, short crypts, hairgrass, anubias nana, amazon sword, and java fern. There is plenty of open area (so far) because I used rocks to block off some plant-less space.

Later, I would like to increase my lighting after they settle-in. Any thoughts?

Registered Member

Doesn't CO2 lower the ph? I have read that somewhere on the internet...

Registered Member

Depends on your kh, but yes it does.

Another sweet alternative to doing a large planted discus tank would be to relocate closer to a sweet fish store and just visit often, or pay fish store with a sweet planted discus tank to let you perform water changes daily :-) It will likely be a lot more cost effective and you will get to experience a much wider range of tanks.

On lighting schoolaintsobad, my only suggestion is don't go crazy on lighting. I took it to the limit with lighting, I put 4x90W LED (2W) and that was way too much light, its netted spectacular hair algae growth at a very rapid pace. I have since turned cut down lighting to 1/3 of what it was and have fast plant growth with much less algae.

Banned

Great thread and awesome read!!!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast