AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

View Poll Results: Do you currently keep heckels and if so..how many?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • none

57 60.00%
  • I have 2 or less

6 6.32%
  • I have between 3 and 6 heckels inclusive

9 9.47%
  • I have between 7 and 10 heckels inclusive

4 4.21%
  • I have more than 10 heckels

4 4.21%
  • I have none, but am planning on getting them in less than 1 year

15 15.79%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you keep heckels currently?

Registered Member

Default Re: Do you keep heckels currently?

I think you need to either modify your last choice or add a choice.

I have none, but am planning on getting them in less than 1 year - should be something like this ---- I have none, but am planning on getting them in the future.

I wish I had a straight out and out timeframe on stuff like this.

Pretty tough when you've just moved house, and now have to make a new fishroom.... and then move ALL tanks yet.
    users.kent.net/~lisab/ - Lisa's Lair

Got to love those discus!

HI Lisa,
    The poll was not exactly meant for any other reason except to see if it there was enough interest in heckels to warrant a section devoted to them

Pretty tough when you've just moved house, and now have to make a new fishroom.... and then move ALL tanks yet
    that should not be difficult to do in under a year and get some heckels as well....should it?

good luck with the move and set up.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    HI Lisa,
    The poll was not exactly meant for any other reason except to see if it there was enough interest in heckels to warrant a section devoted to them

that should not be difficult to do in under a year and get some heckels as well....should it?

good luck with the move and set up.
    LOL! Well... if you saw all the different fish I have.... and want to have.... and ... oh... too many fish and too little time!
    users.kent.net/~lisab/ - Lisa's Lair

Got to love those discus!

I'd like to read Larry's opinion...
    *Salvo*
    Rome
    http://www.Discusclub.net/forum [under costruction]

Banned

Smile Re: Do you keep heckels currently?

I have had Heckles several times over the years. I currently have 4 Nhumunda adults and 2 wild Heckle/blue discus crosses that are juveniles. The 4 adults are being housed with 6 wild RSG's in a 100 gal. long tank. The Heckles are the dominant species here. I have had the discus since 12/12/06.

I am currently keeping the temp at 31C and pH at 6.0. My intention is to keep them at a much lower pH, but I need to replace my broken pH probe. I am using a test kit meanwhile. There has been no Heckle pairing activity in this short time, other than 2 of the RSG's appear to be seperating themselves a bit.

In the past, I had an apparent male and female Heckle that, other than some activity from the male, was an exercise in futility. The female showed no interest. Even in a community tank with known sexed discus, many males courted her, but she never reciprocated their interest. The male, however, went crazy over an F1 wild royal blue X red turquois spawning female I placed with him. After 6 months, she refused to spawn. The Heckle male flashed brilliant colors at her, danced for her, harrased her to no end without success. I tried various temperature and pH combinations from 82-89F, pH readings from 6.5 down to 3.8. Nothing, which really perplexed me because she raised a bunch of spawns with an identical male as she. Finally, someone offered me twice what I paid for the 2 Heckles and I let them go. The WRB X RT female spawned about a month later with her original partner.

I have read and read about them. Therorized and experimented with them, and the only consolation I have received from my efforts is that even though I have not succeeded, neither has THE MAN - JW. lol

I have suspected that there is one factor being overlooked and think it may be linked to diet. But, that is only me thinking that. No one else seems to mention it.

Mat (a different Larry, Salvo)

I have suspected that there is one factor being overlooked and think it may be linked to diet. But, that is only me thinking that. No one else seems to mention it.
    Mat, actually its not just you, Jason from Superiordiscus and I have discussed this often over the years... I know he has tries various insects and I have even set up black lights to collect night bugs as food. I focus on the insects as its a likely source in my mind of whats missing.

I think there is a nutritional component as well.

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Hi all,
    I am closing this thread .... At this point I think it best we start dedicated threads for each members heckel programs...

Salvo,
    I split the note and photos that you posted for Apistomaster to its own thread. Could I ask you to start one as well for your tanks and program.

You and I had some interesting dialogues so far... but rather than it get lost, lets start a few threads specifically on them.

thanks again,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-03-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12