AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction to The Heckel Project ...

Exclamation Introduction to The Heckel Project ...

Hi all,
    At the request of Heckel afficinados We have added a special section that we have called

THE HECKEL PROJECT
    All information on
    Symphysodon discus can be posted in this section. Questions and information on other wild species or domestic discus should not be posted in this section, but in the other sections of the forum where they best fit.

Our purpose is to build an informational database on the requirements of wild Heckels and their biology. It is hoped that with such a knowledge base hobbyists and breeders may be able to captive breed
    Symphysodon discus in a consistent manner.

All hobbyists with an interest in this project are asked to share their research, knowledge, and experience in this endeavor. It is a project open to everyone.

Please use this section as you would any other section of the forum, and keep in mind that all forum rules apply here.

Thanks and please wish us luck in this endeavor.

The Simply Team
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-01-2007 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spelling
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Joseph Paul Heckel

Default Re: Introduction to The Heckel Project ...

I have kept Heckel's in the past out of an interest in the species simply because I share the same last name. I never had them breed (trio of Blue Headed Heckel's from Jack Wattley 1996) but raised them successfully. I found they liked baby guppies fed to them when they reached the 4 inch size. They were much more difficult to feed. They certainly got even more finicky after I began feeding them live foods.

I kept them in a low light aquarium, 29 gallons, ph of 6, pure RO with discus trace and RO Right at 88 degrees Celcius. I was not experienced enough at breeding and had no real interest in breeding them at the time.

Anyhow, hope the feedback helps.....

Joseph

Al, I love heckels. Have never had any but would LOVE to try some. Hopeful one of these days Andrew and I can help on this project. Love reading all the information on them though. I always love a good challenge.

Registered Member

Al,
    First off, thank you for calling Heckels by their rightful name, I have a real problem with sites that refer to Symphysodon heckel or S. heckeli, and there are an amazing number of sites that don't seem to know they are called Symphysodon discus, even ones that should certainly know better.

I just started keeping S. discus, so this area is of great interest to me. While at the moment I have young S. discus and am struggling just to keep them healthy, breeding is why I keep fish. So thank you yet again for creating this area.
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Hi Polarbear,
    If I have this right you have just begun to build a group of S. discus and they are still subadults. I remember they/some were in or almost out of quarantine along with some other wild discus. They are best just kept with their own kind for many reasons but they do not seem to compete well with other discus. They are less assertive and they really like to graze for their food rather than bolting it down. It as if the hunt is as important as the finding of their food.

I feed mine a lot of live blackworms but they also are fed earthworm pellet and flake. They also get algae wafers, Tetra Color Bits, frozen bloodworms.
    I would not hesitate to offer them live blackworms to get them to eat. After that you can place other food and blackworms in a container on the bottom.
    They seem to quickly become used to finding food in the container on the bottom. Young fish should not take long to train to a variety of foods.
    As soon as they are gaining weight and will take pellet food start soaking the food in your favorite de-worming drug(s). That seems to help them gain weight lost. As others have pointed out wild discus are not usually full of food when they are caught and then they endure the distribution ordeal. They are a resilient fish all things considered and I think you are already a skilled wild discus keeper. You may be closer than you think to getting them there. It takes several months IME, for them to become well established.
    I thought it looked like yours were in very good condition basd on your photos awhile back. I have had many that seemed like they were near death only to recover with the kind of perceptive TLC I can tell you have.

Larry Waybright

Fantastic groundwork you've done on the project to get to critical mass, Larry ! Top notch . Congratulations and all the best.

Dave
    Last edited by raglanroad; 02-24-2007 at 09:55 PM.

Real Name
    Joseph Paul Heckel

I would love to see the water parameters used from any of you that have bred them as well as the frequency of water changes, temperature & feeding schedule.
    I found my discus were more social when kept with other smaller domestic discus. Has anyone found succes in breeding them with other wild Heckels or did you use a domestic to induce the pairing? Has anyone force paired them successfully with other domestic discus?

All this talk about them now has me on a hunt for some blue headed sub-adults.

Joseph

I keep mine with domestics... not to induce spawning or social behavior but to have more fish in one tank. The thought of breaking my Discus colony in 2 kind of disturbs me because they are the pride of my tanks and I keep them in my 125 show tank in my living room. If I move them they go to my bedroom where nobody sees them.

I agree that the domestic ones do make the Heckels more comfortable. I hope that IF I am lucky enough to get a pair that it will be a wild with a wild!

That said, it seems that I have early pairing going on im my tank and the Male Heckels are the ones looking for a mate. They Male Heckels dont seem to be interested in any of the domestics however are trying to show that they are fit for the female Heckels in the tank.

All of my 6 Heckels in a colony of 15 Discus are considerably larger than any of my domesticated Discus. This said I beleive that is another reason that the Male Heckels do not wish to pair with the Domesticated ones (thank goodness and I hope it stays that way).

The Females however seem to be the ones that need that extra coaxing to breed. They only seem interested in a spawn for a few seconds each day then wander back to the part of the Colony that is not trying to pair... It kind of leaves me on edge to watch this because it feels "So close yet so far" to having a breeding pair of Heckels.

I added this in another post but here are my parameters and it seems to be REALLY good for keeping them in my case:

Temp - 88
    PH 6.8
    KH < 10
    GH < 65
    Nitrates < 20

Water changes - previously was changing about 25% once a week. Now for the past week and planning on this for a few months I am doing "rainy season" waterchanges with cooler water at about 25% - 50% 2 times a week. I hope this starts a spawn! The Heckels get lighter and drop all stress bars when I do this change so I think they like it!

I keep them in a HIGHLY planted tank with TONS of cover and driftwood. I dont like open tanks with them and I feel that makes them a bit uncomfortable. From my experience they seem to like the highly planted tank even though it does have a higher level of lighting to support the plants!

I am only a few months into keeping the Heckels but have about 2-4 years of experience with domesticated ones. Some of my keeping Wilds is what I did with the Domesticated ones... I by no means consider myself an expert but I am somewhat successful with them so..... take what I add with a grain of salt!

By the way, I LOVE this site!!!!! So much information on my absolute favorite fish!!! Why go saltwater when the best of all fish is found in a South American blackwater environment!!!

Registered Member

Wow!
    I've got almost exactly the same situation. You could have taken the words out of my mouth, except that I have only one Heckel. I've heard they are usually wild caught and not often aquarium bred. Would love any confirmation on this. My Heckel seems to be doing well at the moment. He is in a 125g with 3 domestics and is the boss of the tank. Love this site and all the info it provides!

I et My first wild pair tomorrow , wish me luck

get

Post a pic... How are they doing?

I have them in a quarentine 30 right now , My avatar is a phone pic of them . Trying not to mess with them to much right now , they are eating well and are not spooky . I will try to take a good photo tomorrow . Thanks for the reply . Jim

wild pair? that is awesome
    DISCUS CICHLIDS AND PTEROPHYLLUM ALTUMS

I am so sorry , when I said (pair) I meant 2 discus . Thats funny . They could be though , have not checked .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast