AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus Madness

Default Discus Madness

Hello, I was surfing the internet and came across Discus Madness web-site. I am not trying to start something. I just like to know if some people have had first hand experiences with them. Good or bad. They seem like they have nice fish and products.

Default Re: Discus Madness

Quote Originally Posted by moik View Post
    Hello, I was surfing the internet and came across Discus Madness web-site. I am not trying to start something. I just like to know if some people have had first hand experiences with them. Good or bad. They seem like they have nice fish and products.
    I have some Discus from Discus Madness. I bought larger ones, but I was there and saw Mathias' Discus tanks in person and picked out my own fish. Mathias has beautiful Discus, his fish room and tanks are spotless and orderly. Mathias himself is very helpful before, during and after your purchase. I recommend Discus Madness. I've read some negative stuff on this forum because Mathias did sell Discus that are considered low quality Discus to people who asked if they could purchase "culls" because they were just starting out and did not want to or could not spend a lot of money on Discus. But, its all in how one views things and it is certainly not the norm as to what Mathias sells.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Hello,
    I have had personal experience with Discus Madness. Mathias is a very nice guy and very easy to deal with. He will answer all your questions and some.
    His fish room is very clean, lot's of fish to choose from usually. You need to make an appointment with him and also ask what he has sometimes he hasnt had time to post what is availble or his specials. Hope this helps
    Teresa

Cancer Survivor..... Glad to be finally free!!!!!

I'm new to raising Discus & recently bought some from
    Discus Madness. The fish room was clean, lots to choose from.Mathius was extremely helpful with all my questions.
    I brought my 13y.o. daughter & he made us feel @ comftorable, even though he's probably answered some of our questions a thousand times!
    I would buy fish from them again.

I've bought frozen BH from Discusmadness.
    My fish love it and pkg. was slightly over the 1 pound paid for!
    I realize they are not a sponsor on this forum, but my experience with Mathius @discusmadness has been good.Before finding this forum I bought some fish there & he has been very helpful with all my discus questions.
    I now would only buy from sponsors here, but thought I'd mention my positive experience's with this vendor!
    Rob
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-21-2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: merged two posts by user

I believe Discus Madness and Mathias to be a reputable breeder. Mathias seems very knowledgable and he is very helpful. I ordered his "5 Assorted Discus Special" because I was new to keeping discus and was affraid to get larger ones. I have to say I was very disappointed with what Mathias sent me...mostly very peppered (and ugly) pigeon bloods. I guess I should of asked (buyer beware), but I assumed the mix of discus would be representative of what appears on his site...they were not. I suggested he change his description on the web site to indicate that what you may get is something not pictured on his web site. He did not change it? I don't believe I will order from him again...too many other great breeders sponsoring this forum to choose from.

Registered Member

I too would not order from him again. I ordered a "super cobalt green hue" a received a dark brown discus with blue fins as well as an apricot rainbow and received an orange fish. The fish were not represented well on his site.

Hello, I might have not purchased discus from Discus Madness ,but I have a first hand experience with him. I have purchased a 6 piece set of carbon block filters .2-10 micron sediment / 2-5 micron carbon block/2-1 micron carbon block .When I received them ,I looked at them and seen 2 sediment ,4-5 micron carbon blocks. There were 2 5-micron carbon blocks with red marker written on them saying 1micron. So I called him up and he said they are 1-micron and the company made a mistake in packaging them.He also said there is nothing he was going to do. I called the manufacturer up and spoke to a rep and she said there was never a mistake in the labeling. So she said she would send me two new ones(2-1 micron filters) I called back discus madness again and told him there was no error in labeling. He insisted they were the right ones and he was not going to do anything. To sum it up,I did not get ripped off ,but this is just a good indication of a mans character.

After a long search locally and on the internet I finally found my source for truly quality frozen beefheart mix and its sold by Discus madness, www.discusmadness.com. The owner is very helpful and always available for questions. The shipping was superb with dry ice as the freezing agent, and with 2 day shipping it was frozen solid with plenty of dry ice remaining. The food is so dense that there is no water which is just waste, pure food that is cut into cubes if you like, and they sink they are so dense. My discus which only ate bloodworms and some tetra color bits went right for this stuff, after refusing other commerical brands and mysis, brine shrimp, etc. I believe it is worth a try and I bought two pounds which should last my 16 discus about 6 months.

My fish eat Mathius's food like little madmen, you can hear them peck the glass bottom as they devour it! It has very little moisture and lots of garlic for sure, PU He ships very professionally, using dry ice, the food is frozen like an iceberg with plenty of dry ice left over. Very little waste in this food, my 2 lbs will last my now 14 discus about 6 months.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-21-2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: merged two posts by user

Registered Member

I have ordered many times from Discus Madness. Very high quality fish, and disease free. I have ordered about 12 discus/5 shipments, as well as other fish from Discus madness for the last 3 years.

Registered Member

The shop keeper was very rude with us when we had an issue with some of the fish he sent. The fish in the pictures on the site are nicer than what we received. Some of the fish seemed more mixed breed rather than pure like what was shown on the site. Some of the fins were tattered and I noted some white patches on the fins. I do not recommend this seller, if you have a problem with your order, he won't take kindly to do the right thing and correct it. I wish I would have taken some time to speak with this seller and read in other forums before purchasing from him.

Registered Member

I've purchased 5 Grade A+ discus fish from Discus Madness in the last 2 months. A red panda, yellow face red melon, white dragon, white rabbit albino pink, and an albino pink red snake skin. They're all between 5 to 6 inches in size, very healthy, doing great, and look amazing. Discus madness has a great selection of high quality fish in all different sizes. It is definitely worth taking a trip to the store to see the selection. Mathias is an honest guy who is very knowledgeable and helpful. Prices are more than fair too. I would recommend them to anyone who is particular about owning perfect fish. My discus tank now looks so good, I think it's giving my SPS / LPS coral tank a run for it's money !
    Last edited by SF72; 02-08-2013 at 05:33 PM.

I have removed unnecessary posts - First hand experiences only.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-ALL-READ-THIS!!!!!
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

I went to Discus Madness twice. It is not a local fish store with a few discus. They have a huge stock of discus. They also sell a few discus-tank-friendly tropical fish from a separate room. The discus-only fish room is maintained at discus temperature rather than direct water heating.

During my first visit, a large number of small discus were not for sale because they were quarantine until proven otherwise. I was skeptical. I thought that they did not want to sell smaller fish at a lower price. That was not the case during my second visit. I arrived at a time when a previous shipment was already out of quarantine. They were all for sale.

If you go there, be prepared to stare into tanks with the rest of the customers while contemplating buying fish that you don't have room to keep.

I got good answers to the questions that I had. He seemed very knowledgeable.

He is not a sponsor of Simply Discus. He explained his reasons and those reasons matched my own first-hand understanding of what goes on in this forum.

Real Name
    Shane Sims

I've ordered six discus in total from Discus Madness, and all six have been phenomenal fish. The prices are very competitive, and Mathias always responded to my questions promptly. His shipment packaging method was solid, and neither of my two shipments had any issues. The last two fish I ordered were both FAT (like professional eaters), and were eating the first night. All of the fish I ordered were 5 to 7 inch adults, so I can't speak to the quality of the juveniles.
    -Shane

Discus do it bare bottom.

I've dealt with Mathias for a number of years and can positively agree with all of the above statements regarding the quality of his fish and the cleanliness of his setup, which has expanded in the last few years due to his success in providing good product to the public.

He not only has Discus but also many other companion fish and other types at very good prices that are generally unmatched in retail shops, such as Cory Sterbi's.

He works hard at his business and it shows in the business's growth and his reputation. Because I'm local, in NJ, I can pick the fish that I like which is only difficult because most of the fish that I buy as adolescents are so similar in their high quality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast