ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: fluke tabs

Registered Member

Default fluke tabs

when reading the description of flukes tabs on MOPS website it says that it kills fluke etc.
    But it also mention tapeworms and capillaria.

What is the active ingredients of fluke tabs???
    And do you think this is really an effective drug against internal intestinal parasites (round and tape worms)???

Registered Member

Default Re: fluke tabs

anybody know what fluke tabs are made of???

Quote Originally Posted by grelot View Post
    anybody know what fluke tabs are made of???
    Made by Aquarium Products

Each 500mg tablet contains (methyl-5-benzol-benaimidizole-2-carbamate) and (dimethyl 2,2,2-trichloro-1-hydroxyethyl) phosphonate).

Organophosphates certainly do eliminate monogenetic trematodes, (e.g: Flukes), with varying effectiveness, but it is known that these Monogeneans can and DO develop resistance to the compounds. The unique, carbamate-pesticide portion of this compound is the important adjunct that enhances it's parasiticidal effect.

Fluke tab treatments should not be continuous, as many types of fish, but especially the larger cyprinids (Koi and Goldfish) may experience a strange inflammatory dermatitis if the product is left in the water longer than 48 hours.

It is recommended that you do a fifty percent water change after 48 hours, and re-treat after a 24 hour hiatus.

It has dylox for external parasites and mebendazol for internal (worms). For the most part I think there are better ways to treat for worms.
    HTH,

Kacey

You beat me to the post Mario. I shouldn't have gone to start a second pot of coffee in the middle of my reply, lol!

Kacey

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by turkis View Post

Each 500mg tablet contains (methyl-5-benzol-benaimidizole-2-carbamate) and (dimethyl 2,2,2-trichloro-1-hydroxyethyl) phosphonate).

Organophosphates certainly do eliminate monogenetic trematodes, (e.g: Flukes), with varying effectiveness, but it is known that these Monogeneans can and DO develop resistance to the compounds. The unique, carbamate-pesticide portion of this compound is the important adjunct that enhances it's parasiticidal effect.

Fluke tab treatments should not be continuous, as many types of fish, but especially the larger cyprinids (Koi and Goldfish) may experience a strange inflammatory dermatitis if the product is left in the water longer than 48 hours.

It is recommended that you do a fifty percent water change after 48 hours, and re-treat after a 24 hour hiatus.
    Turkis I see that you read Dr Erik Johnson....Erik also makes the Statement

''..........I also caution that there is significant toxicty of the carbamates to certain fish, most notably Discus and Catfish, who may be adversely affected........''

so Fluke tabs probably shouldn't be used with discus or used with caution

Graham

Registered Member

I think fluke tabs are too strong. I would avoid using it on discus if possible.

From my experience, fluke tabs are effective against flukes and snails. I could be wrong about snails, but the last time I use fluke tabs all of the snails are gone.

Hi Remi,
    Dosage was supplied by the manufacturer and I have never used this medicine for discus and If you need the proper dosage I will check with a friend of mine in Germany that wrote the Discus Health Book.
    Mario

Banned

Hi Remi,
    Dosage was supplied by the manufacturer and I have never used this medicine for discus and If you need the proper dosage I will check with a friend of mine in Germany that wrote the Discus Health Book.
    Mario

Hi Remi,
    Check your PM.
    Mario

Real Name
    Walter

I've used fluketabs at half strength - stressed out my pl*cos (they became faded looking while under treatment). I used it to kill the hydra in some of my tanks (it did wipe out the malaysian trumpet snails too). No casualities in fish. I've read that sometimes discus will lose some of their co-ordination while being treated.

Walter
    Walter

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wahter View Post
    I've used fluketabs at half strength - stressed out my pl*cos (they became faded looking while under treatment). I used it to kill the hydra in some of my tanks (it did wipe out the malaysian trumpet snails too). No casualities in fish. I've read that sometimes discus will lose some of their co-ordination while being treated.

Walter
    Sorry to bump such an old thread, but do you have any fluke tabs left, if so could I buy some off you and would you post to the UK?

I am absolutely desperate for a few.

Thanks in advance

Ged

You'll be lucky to find fluke tabs anymore. The company that made them was bought by Mardel. I don't think that are producing them anymore. Also, I am not sure about the shipping restrictions of trichlorfon (active ingredient in fluke tabs) to the UK. I thought trichlorfon was banned in the UK?

Here is some info on trichlorfon (organophosphate) from a UK site. Might be helpful.

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/...phosphates.htm
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    You'll be lucky to find fluke tabs anymore. The company that made them was bought by Mardel. I don't think that are producing them anymore. Also, I am not sure about the shipping restrictions of trichlorfon (active ingredient in fluke tabs) to the UK. I thought trichlorfon was banned in the UK?
    I know, I cannot find them anywhere.

As for being banned in the UK probably, but what they don't know won't hurt them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Here is some info on trichlorfon (organophosphate) from a UK site. Might be helpful.

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/...phosphates.htm
    Thanks for your help, as the original Fluke tabs are great for removing GSP in marine tanks etc which are effectively a weed, or they are in my case.

Apparently what I need is this combination.

(methyl-5-benzol-benaimidizole-2-carbamate) and (dimethyl 2,2,2-trichloro-1-hydroxyethyl) phosphonate)

Regards

Ged

Registered Member

Hi

I did reply but it needs moderating. Thanks for the info, and I have added more to the original reply, so once it is allowed, then you will see it.

Ged