AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Malaysian trumpet snails...

Registered Member

Default Malaysian trumpet snails...

I'm currently working on setting up a very large planted tank that will include discus about a year from now...as well as clown loach and some other grouping fish.

I realize clown loach eat snails by the dozen on a daily basis, in previous experiences with planted tanks malaysian trumpet snails reproduce at a FAST rate and I'm thinking, although clown loach are nocturnal fish, that if I get a population of them started now they should be able to keep up at a decent pace with sifting the substrate without the clown loach completely decimating the system.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has any experience with the two combinations and I'm also trying to find a place to get my hands on some trumpet snails (they're rare if not impossible to find in southern California, most people don't even know what they are).

Thanks.

Default Re: Malaysian trumpet snails...

I have them in all of my African chiclid tanks. They do a great job in eating left over food and turning over the gravel. I don't have to clean the gravel and they leave the eggs and fry alone. Unfortunately don't have any clown loaches and cannot comment on that.
    Once you have these snails they are almost impossible to get rid of. I had a tank with gravel stored bone dry for about 5 years. When this was put back into service the snails appeared again. A friend of mine boiled the gravel for hours and still could not get rid of them.
    HTH
    Joe

Registered Member

Clown loaches will keep snails from being a problem, but they will still be there, hiding in the substrate. Just get rid of the loaches and you will find out you still have snails. This is true for both the trumpet snails and pond snails at least, in my experience.

Registered Member

I don't suppose anybody knows where I can get some trumpet snails?

Where are you located?

It depends on where you are located. I can send you some but cross border trafficing in snails might be a problem. Try your local aquarium club. I am sure someone will have them.

Registered Member

I have tons that I have to throwout by the fistfull, kinda creepy when they all emerge at night and start crawling up your glass. If you can't find a local source, I have a local snail breeder contact and I'm sure she has connections across the border that can help you out.

Registered Member

I really regret the one time I put trumpet snails in a tank. They are hard to get rid of--once you get them. You might consider Olive Nerites. They only reproduce in brackish water--so they are much easier to control.

Regards,
    Mike Witek
    Napa CA

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bainbridge Mike View Post
    I really regret the one time I put trumpet snails in a tank. They are hard to get rid of--once you get them. You might consider Olive Nerites. They only reproduce in brackish water--so they are much easier to control.

Regards,

Well the thing about it is that I'll have a group of 5 or 6 clown loaches in the tank along with it being co2 injected and heavily planted, I figured the more snails the merrier as far as substrate mixture and clean up.

I live in California, I've tried to find decent fish clubs down here but it seems like everything is reef related?

Most pet shops I go to don't even know what I'm talking about when I mention them...I'm also looking for cherry shrimp and amano shrimp if anyone knows of a good source.

Registered Member

I have MTS in my planted discus tank with 3 3in clowns. You will NEVER be without the mts once they are in the tank. The clowns will keep the poulation down but the "lazy loaches" like the BH better.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bainbridge Mike View Post
    I really regret the one time I put trumpet snails in a tank.

Me Too! OMG ...it was sooooooooo gross esp at night ~ ka-zillions of them everywhere all over the glass...small ones big ones ~ you have NO idea

And I thought was one was so cool ~ never again ~ thank God we moved and I emptied the entire tank ~

If I ever seen one again it will be too soon for me

Marie ~

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyBlackSocks View Post
    Well the thing about it is that I'll have a group of 5 or 6 clown loaches in the tank along with it being co2 injected and heavily planted, I figured the more snails the merrier as far as substrate mixture and clean up.

I live in California, I've tried to find decent fish clubs down here but it seems like everything is reef related?

Most pet shops I go to don't even know what I'm talking about when I mention them...I'm also looking for cherry shrimp and amano shrimp if anyone knows of a good source.
    I have 4 clown loaches in a 75G. Dont have any snails, but trust me, they will eat anything you throw in the tank!! Mine wrestle the FBW out of the anglefish's mouth. They are definately not shy!!

Mark
    Mark