AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Microscopes in the fish room

Registered Member

Default Re: Microscopes in the fish room

The Accuscope came yesterday, and I'm pleased to say it works fine- I've been examining various bits of aquarium gook with some interesting results. little tiny worms, for starters... paramecium and some other critters I haven't been able to identify. None of the rotifers shown in another current thread.

The 3D mechanical stage is really nice, and the higher power objectives are springloaded to prevent damage running into the slide... pretty cool. Very nice piece of equipment, and from the condition, I suspect that it was only lightly used, if at all.

I'll see if I can get pics thru the eyepieces...

I just got this in the mail today.. I used one of my Christmas gift certificates to purchase it.. I think it will make a nice addition to my fishroom..Paid $77 plus shipping on ebay..total about $100.00.

Can you use a digital camera as and connect to the computer or do you have to buy a dedicated camera..

Thanks

Rick

Registered Member born2lovefish's Avatar

Check your local craigslist for them. I picked up a decent one on there from a local school getting rid of their old ones.
    www.his-angelfish.webs.com

Registered Member

What is a "mechanical stage" on a microscope? What are they used for? How does one use it?
    Thanks
    Ron

It's used to move the slide with a couple of knobs. Really handy and almost a must have. If you don't have it, you will have to move it with your hands and that's less than smooth....
    Sam

Registered Member

Just picked up a basic Student Scope myself, about to venture into some biology. I have already examined some discus poo and it had nothing visible at 400 Xs, while the max on the scope is X1000 I haven't swapped out to see this far, I suppose that might be why I saw nothing? I tried a splash of water, nadda there as well but some gunk, no life. Image was pretty good so, little tougher close up...Next time is to scrape the slim coat and I am going to follow what some others have suggested here in the past. Would anyone care to share anything that makes this process easier? Ordered from AmScope on Ebay, 90 bucks got me a solid metal scope with 100 slides. Not a bad deal, not much for instructions. I have been using www.microscope-microscope.org and their basics page to begin with.

P.S. Have some dials underneath the Scope, a block turning object that seems to change the light but does seemingly nothing. Any clues? Thanks Kel

Quote Originally Posted by KelDiscus View Post
    Just picked up a basic Student Scope myself, about to venture into some biology. I have already examined some discus poo and it had nothing visible at 400 Xs, while the max on the scope is X1000 I haven't swapped out to see this far, I suppose that might be why I saw nothing? I tried a splash of water, nadda there as well but some gunk, no life. Image was pretty good so, little tougher close up...Next time is to scrape the slim coat and I am going to follow what some others have suggested here in the past. Would anyone care to share anything that makes this process easier? Ordered from AmScope on Ebay, 90 bucks got me a solid metal scope with 100 slides. Not a bad deal, not much for instructions. I have been using www.microscope-microscope.org and their basics page to begin with.

P.S. Have some dials underneath the Scope, a block turning object that seems to change the light but does seemingly nothing. Any clues? Thanks Kel
    Sounds like a polariser maybe ...

When using a scope start at the lowest mag, usually 40x on a scope that goes to 1000x ... and take your time focussing as it needs practice. Systematically work up and down the slide, then go to the next mag (100x usually) and have a looksee there, flukes can usually be seen at this mag and definitely be seen easily at 200x.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    Sounds like a polariser maybe ...

When using a scope start at the lowest mag, usually 40x on a scope that goes to 1000x ... and take your time focussing as it needs practice. Systematically work up and down the slide, then go to the next mag (100x usually) and have a looksee there, flukes can usually be seen at this mag and definitely be seen easily at 200x.
    ~Dear Paul, got into a very lengthy test based on what I'd read via Simply Discus. Checking 40xs at first. Then up to 100xs looking for anything living in/on the slime coat... I went through 4 slides and separate scrapings. Tried to narrow in on anything that remotely looked like a fluke but nothing. I mean the closest items I could see were nothing remotely like a Youtube or Image I'd seen on-line with the same type of zoom and color quality.

P.S. Do these things wiggle within a 2-15 minute window? I thought I'd heard they stopped at 4... Nothing really moves underneath my scope. Wonder if my LED is frying anything, read that somewhere about scopes...plus time length?

P.S.S. think I am going to the Vet, I just don't believe this. Thanks for answering me

Quote Originally Posted by KelDiscus View Post
    ~Dear Paul, got into a very lengthy test based on what I'd read via Simply Discus. Checking 40xs at first. Then up to 100xs looking for anything living in/on the slime coat... I went through 4 slides and separate scrapings. Tried to narrow in on anything that remotely looked like a fluke but nothing. I mean the closest items I could see were nothing remotely like a Youtube or Image I'd seen on-line with the same type of zoom and color quality.

P.S. Do these things wiggle within a 2-15 minute window? I thought I'd heard they stopped at 4... Nothing really moves underneath my scope. Wonder if my LED is frying anything, read that somewhere about scopes...plus time length?

P.S.S. think I am going to the Vet, I just don't believe this. Thanks for answering me
    I am not aware of LEDs frying anything tbh ...

As for flukes,they are easy to see ONLY if they are there! Even stationary they have a distinctive shape.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Just a question for those experienced with using a microscope to diagnose fish ailments. My son was given this scope for Christmas. Do you think it could be used in the fish room to help diagnose disease?

http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/...M-100FL-GB.asp

Quote Originally Posted by gwrace View Post
    Just a question for those experienced with using a microscope to diagnose fish ailments. My son was given this scope for Christmas. Do you think it could be used in the fish room to help diagnose disease?

http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/...M-100FL-GB.asp
    I just looked at the specs on this scope. It actually provides up to 2000X magnification and came with a mechanical stage, powered light, camera and many accessories. This should work out fine.

Oh nice. I know who to bug if I need to use a microscope.
    Stephen
    NADA AUSTIN 2014 SOS Crew Texas

We got an AO Model 50. It has three lens on it with one being for oil immersion. We got it off EBay for a song becaise it needed a new power cord. It took five minutes to repair and work fine!
    Bob Daniel Hopkinsville, KY

For taking a sample to check for gill flukes would you swap the fishes gills? Or for a skin problem I assume you would swab the effective area..

Is there a cheat sheet for so we know what to look for specific problems?

Here's a pretty good link. Make sure you view the all the pages for that section.

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/microscope/micro01.htm
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast