ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help With Angle Fish

Question Help With Angel Fish

I bought two angle fish for my planted tank well I just found eggs all over one of the plants and both of them are guarding the eggs and pecking any thing that gets near them. Are angle fish like discus can it just be two females and will these eggs hatch?? And how do you know what is male and what is female??? Some of the eggs are white and some are clear.
    Last edited by t_j; 03-16-2007 at 01:37 PM.
    Tiffany

Default Re: Help With Angle Fish

Fertilized eggs look clear. White ones are dead ones. You might have a pair here. Pics will help confirm the fact. Sexes can be distinguished by looking at the ovipositor tube.

What other fish you've got in there ? Size of tank ? Good luck with the batch. Awaiting your pics

Congratulations! Sounds like it's a pair! It also sounds like you're a bit taken aback by this turn of events.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Definitely sounds like a pair for sure. Depending what else is in your tank they will hatch as long as your water hardness isn't too high. Remember angels aren't like Discus, they don't feed off the parents. If you plan on raising the fry then you will need to start some brine shrimp on the 4th day after the eggs were laid. if you have any other questions I would be more than happy to help you out since I have been breeding Angels for 20 years.

I just wanted the angels to add a little some thing extra in the tank I never wanted them to breed I'm not in to breeding I wouldn't know what to do with them. Most of the eggs have turned white today thats ok with me though. I have tetras and some alge eaters, snails and some odd looking things that I have no idea what they are I saw them at the swap and liked them thats all in a 29gl tank. I have vary hard water so I'm going to guess these eggs will never survive right?? Will they keep going after the other fish for now on?? Now I know why I found a dead tetra

I just put the cone in there for the hell of it...

Last edited by t_j; 03-16-2007 at 12:53 PM.
    Tiffany

Thanks to all for replying!!!

Liz, I am I never thought in a million years out of all the angels in that tank I picked a pair and with my water for them to even try breeding.
    Last edited by t_j; 03-16-2007 at 12:53 PM.
    Tiffany

I forgot to add one thing whats up with the faning why do they fan the eggs???
    Tiffany

Quote Originally Posted by swinefka View Post
    Definitely sounds like a pair for sure. Depending what else is in your tank they will hatch as long as your water hardness isn't too high. Remember angels aren't like Discus, they don't feed off the parents. If you plan on raising the fry then you will need to start some brine shrimp on the 4th day after the eggs were laid. if you have any other questions I would be more than happy to help you out since I have been breeding Angels for 20 years.

Thanks, I'll probably need lots of help if they go any further.
    Tiffany

They fan the eggs to keep water circulating over them so they have a less chance to fungus.

How long have they had eggs? There's an awful lot of fungus on them. Either the male was really poor at fertilizing them or they're not fertile at all. If eggs aren't fertile they will stay clear for a few days then fungus over. Yes, two female angels will pair and lay eggs.

Angels aren't like discus when it comes to water softness or pH. They will spawn in hard water with high pH and successfully raise fry. My TDS is 250ppm and my pH is 7.8, and I raised tons of angels.

After 2 to 2 1/2 days (depending on water temperature) they should be at the wriggler stage. If the eggs have been around longer than that, they're probably dead. You have to look closely to see them after hatching... it just looks like eggs with tails wiggling.

Default Re: Help With Angel Fish

Man Ryan you had to go and tell me that they could servive

Well the way the plant was sitting (i moved the plant) you really couldn't see them. I just found them last night but I found a dead fish on Wednesday the only thing I could think of after watching the angels go after the other fish it had to of been them that killed the tetra. So I would guess around Wednesday they laid them.

How do I find out if there 2 females or male and female??
    Last edited by t_j; 03-16-2007 at 12:55 PM.
    Tiffany

I just looked at the eggs really close and the clear ones seem to have a vary, vary tiny black dot on them is that any thing???
    Tiffany

Just look at the breeding tubes, a male has a pointed end and a female has a blunt end.

Quote Originally Posted by swinefka View Post
    Just look at the breeding tubes, a male has a pointed end and a female has a blunt end.

I see the one with the blunt end thats the one that almost never leaves the eggs. The other kinda looks like a point but I could be wrong. Its really hard to get a picture of there tubes.
    Tiffany

If both tubes look different then you have a breeding pair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast