ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heckels Pairing off?

Default Re: Heckels Pairing off?

Discus often spawn in less than optimal pH. I am not counting my fry before they spawn but if I ever get a spawn, then I will drop the pH and and lower the conductivity.

It is getting the females into spawning condition that is what I consider the limiting factor.

The general condition of my Heckels would be difficult to improve upon.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

When i went from tapwater PH 7,3 and 300microsemens too RO water whit PH 3,8 and microsemens of arund 25 the diffrens in the fishes where increddebel!

This pics are at the same Heckel! Before and 3 weeks after going over too the fore heckels more correkt water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

You really got them a proper enviroment. Water parameters, couler of water and even husbandry (branches). Please, upload pictrure s of the whole set
    lp

Registered Member

Hi, all of you,

this is Heiko and I just saw the thread and wanted to tell you all that almost every single so called "Heckel discus" I saw in Souteast Asia at breeders and in shops wer NEVER Heckel discus. Most of them sell them as Heckel discus, although the all (wjat I saw and verified) were what we (or I) call Heckel-cross. Always from a pair Heckel discus with Blue.

Even on their websites you can see that error. To my knowledge no one in Asia ever bred Heckel discus and I would like to get information from Rod in NZ. When I was there collecting and holding lectures I saw Discus breeders, but none had Heckel breeding (but that was begin of 1990s).

Let me know when you find out if he is stilla round.

All the best, also down under

Heiko

Registered Member

Realize this is bringing up a old thread so hope someone sees it. I was looking through some of my old books and found a December 1988 issue of the North American Discus Society publication. In it is an advertisement by a Dave Dollman from Illinois selling tank bred heckels. Started looking on the net and found a article by him regarding his breeding. The article is at http://archersdiscus.com/heckel_spawning_10.html

Also Al, I saw what you said about your heckels showing more interest in spawning with a potted sword. In one of my Degen Discus books, there's a pick of a pair with fry. The tank had potted swords. Maybe you're onto something. Any update on this pair of yours?

Kirk

Hi Kirk,
    Thank you for posting the link to Dollman's site. I had not heard of him before but I found it very interesting to what extent his ideas about discus keeping and breeding parallel my own. I saw that he too, is a big fan of wet/dry filters for the same reasons I am.

If he truly was successful in breeding Heckels and had them for sale, it is a shame that did not result in the establishment of a line of tank raised Heckels.
    Larry Waybright

Registered Member

According the ad in the NADS mag, Wattley bought a dozen and a Harold Beck in Houston got 8 of them. He is no longer at the address in the 20-year old mag but I think I tracked him down with the help of the amazing internet. I may have to give him a call to chat.

Kirk

Registered Member

Here's a scan of the fish in his ad. Indicates it was of a 6-week old fish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I remember this guy posted on a cichlid forum once about this. Unfortunatly I didnot see his post for months after he wrote so I couldn't ask him for more information.
    The Heckel in that picture is not 6 weeks old, more like 6 months or more.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kirkp View Post
    According the ad in the NADS mag, Wattley bought a dozen and a Harold Beck in Houston got 8 of them. He is no longer at the address in the 20-year old mag but I think I tracked him down with the help of the amazing internet. I may have to give him a call to chat.

Kirk
    Hi Kirk,
    Harold Beck is or was a Rocket Scientist, he bought Discus from a couple of dealers back
    in the 90's, have not heard anything since.

Also check out the Discus Annual, Dale Jordan shows a Heckel spawning, Dale also sold
    Eddie Schmidt's number 4 this is the Heckel Cross. Before Dale close his business he
    shipped some of this fish to a school teacher in California(Discus Farm Takanawa) he
    in turn shipped to Japan.

Mr.Singh of Regal Discus sold the Heckel cross too back in the late 80's and early 90's.

Last years 2007 ACA their was a Discus tour at my house, funny no one asked about
    a Heckel pair in that green water aquarium.

Good Luck!
    Cliff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12