AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 75g Discus Biotope - Advice & Suggestions?

Default Re: 75g Discus Biotope - Advice & Suggestions?

Your pics are amazing! Actually, the hatchetfish shows up quite nicely in the green background ;-)
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

Quote Originally Posted by fishmama View Post
    Your pics are amazing! Actually, the hatchetfish shows up quite nicely in the green background ;-)
    Thanks, that particular photo was taken BEFORE the green algae took over. Now, I can barely make them out as they hover towards the middle/back of the tank. Darn green algae... LOL

When I return home tonight, I will reprogram my timer to have a mid day blackout. As soon as I see a change for the better, I will post some new photos.

Question Re: 75g Discus Biotope - Advice & Suggestions?

Also, I have been under the impression that I have 4 wild caught browns. I know they’re not “show fish.” In fact, I imagine a few folks here find them ugly, especially my one with the half black/half white face and stubby fins… To me, they’re beautiful of course.

I do have “Browns,” right?

Registered Member

Is there an award for best forum photography?? If so, if feel sorry for anyone who enters along side of you. AMAZING.

I followed a couple of links on flickr to your other (non-fish) albums - you're a great photographer!

As for the algae: I transitioned my community tank to a planted tank at about the same time you set up your tank. I"m blasting it with light (~3w/gal for 6 hour and then 2w/gal for another 6 hours). I use no blackout period and have only 2 otos and 4 SAEs. I found the only way to control the algae is to keep nutrients low. I bought test kits for NO3, PO4, K, and Fe and keep them at about these levels:

Nitrate (NO3): 5 ppm
    Phosphate (PO4): .5 ppm
    Iron (Fe): .5 ppm
    Potassium (K): .2 ppm

I've had good results (plants doing well, algae suffering greatly). I get rid of excess levels when they occur with water changes and by adding a couple of fast growing species (Water Wisteria, etc.). When one drops toward zero, I use a fert with only that nutrient to prevent spikes in the others. This has done wonders for my algae problems (I rarely scrape the glass anymore).

I offer this personal experience as an FYI. I hope it helps!
    Regards,

Will

Uh oh… more test kits to buy? My wife may actually begin to complain, which is very rare… LOL

Seriously, I do not have those test kits and am just a bit curious about them. What brand do you use? I don’t recall seeing them at my LFS.

Also, thanks for the compliments to my photography; it’s become a BIG passion with me in the last few years. In fact, photography actually PAID of about 85% of this aquarium set up!

Darter, I'm no expert on biotopes either.. I just wanted to compliment you on your fine tank and fish. They both look spectacular.

You'll have to spill on the details of your camera.. shots look too good to be a Point and Shoot camera. You must be using DSLR camera with a macro lens.. Pleae do tell.
    --Reid

Sure, I LOVE to talk camera stuff! I am shooting with an older model EOS 10 dSLR. The lenses used in my fish gallery are the older f/2.8 100mm, the f/4 17-40mm & the f/1.4 50mm (which is now in for repairs...) I may have even stepped WAY back and shot some with the 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom... LOL

You can get a feel for what I shoot by going to my website linked on my profile here...

Registered Member

Seriously, I do not have those test kits and am just a bit curious about them. What brand do you use? I don’t recall seeing them at my LFS.
    I like API's test kits, but they don't have them (that I've seen at least) for Fe and K. For those two, I just did a google search and bought what I found there. I found I had a huge K spike and once I got that down (via water changes and fast growing hungry plants), the beard algae I was fighting disappeared.

Also, I had the freshwater kit from API which has ph, KH, GH, ammonia, etc. which I use to monitor the CO2 levels via ph and KH measurements and the tables which map those to CO2 levels found all over the internet:

http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/CO2/kh-ph-co2-chart.html

For a particular algae problem, you might find this page useful:

http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

For the algae you seem to have they recommend a UV filter, which I have no doubt will work, but who knows what it will do to your biological filter...

Good luck!!

Will

So yesterday I’m doing a water change and installing my new UV filter when I notice tiny things “jumping” off the water. At first I thought they we bubbles, maybe CO2 escaping, like in a soda or something. I looked closer, and low and behold, there are tiny insects all along the waterline. The entire circumference of my tank has these tiny, yellowish critters. I see them jumping out of the water and onto the glass. There they crawl and leap about, never allowing themselves to be less than ½” from the waterline as it recedes.

What are they? The largest is a fraction less than a millimeter. The smallest are super tiny.

Here are some photos:

Note all the green algae particles on the glass… the UV filter should help me with that.

Just above the waterline. You can see some of the smaller ones in the water, at the lower left.

Last edited by Darter02; 04-28-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Thumbs up Re: 75g Discus Biotope - Advice & Suggestions?

I have learned this are "Springtails" and nothing to worry about.

See: http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent4...um/collem.html

& http://bugguide.net/node/view/2654/bgimage

I thought I noticed my Marbled Hatchetfish eating some... I wonder where they all came from?

Wink Re: 75g Discus Biotope - Advice & Suggestions?

Just a quick update:

Week 2 of CO2 injection really showed some amazing results. I still have Green Water Algae but the introduction of a UV filter seems to be clearing that up. I now notice another problem; my Java Moss has a fine, hair like algae growing on it. I can’t seem to find TWO websites with consistent descriptions or photos of algae types. I think it’s a hair or maybe thread algae. Either way, it’s now my next symptom to deal with.

I really need to learn more about nutrient control. Any good site out there? I think I have an iron problem, hence the new type of algae on my Java Moss…

After 2 Weeks of CO2 Injection

As you can see, the plants are skyrocketing! I’ve noticed the newer growth is a lot different than before, and not just in speed. Leaves are larger, more vivid in color and spacing on the stalks seems longer. I’m also noting more branching off the main stalks. My chain sword is really growing, and the subulata is spreading finally. My Ozelot Sword is also sending out new leaves, all a nice reddish tone.

Still a little cloudy

The UV filter only ran for about 5 or 6 hours, after a water change, when I took this. I can see the back of the tank again! Hopefully, things will clear up. I think I may have to prepare for more nutrient imbalances as the dead green water algae adds it’s decay to the water column… darn… it never seems to end. (I guess that’s why I enjoy this, huh?)

A little closer

Notice the dark green algae around the base of the Microswords, lower right of the photo? I’ve been seeing this build up on only these plants. I am thinking about pulling them, the cories and snail dig them up and they can’t seem to root well. I don’t see this algae on anything else. I’m not sure of the name, one site calls it one thing, another something else…

My 1# Discus

Scratched Nose

After feeding, 1# & 2# start to spar for dominance. They clash by opening their mouths and ramming into each other face first. It’s been getting worse this week and now they both have small scratches on their noses. I may have to add a few more Browns to spread the aggression out more. If I could only find some locally…

Registered Member

Since your plants are in a growing spurt, you can expect them to gobble up the nutrients and the algae will begin to starve. My algae was gone within 2 weeks after my plants starting taking off, but I was closely monitoring nutrient levels and doing regular water changes to get them where I wanted them to be. I had high NO3 and K levels which I brought back into line with lots of water changes over about 10 days.

When I overdosed my tank with Fe, it experienced a beard algae bloom which was also quickly remedied with water changes.

My tank is only 55g and I have low fish stock so it's easy for me to manage nutrient levels, but I've been surprised how low-maintenance the algae has become since things have stabilized. Now all I fight is fast growing plants!

Here's a before pic (day 5):

Here's a pic taken 2.5 months later (day 77):

BTW, that stringy algae, if it looks like this, is what I call long beard algae.

and I've seen it explode in my tank when Iron was over .1 ppm.
    FYI,

Will

Cool beans! I need to get a Fe test kit I think....

So I am having all sorts of problems establishing balance in my aquarium. I know I’ve a problem with nutrient control, and maybe trace element control as well, but I can’t seem to get a grip on things yet.

I’m going to post photos of some of the problems I am having and see if anyone can give me ideas on how to correct things…

Water Parameters:
    82°F (~28°C)
    PH: ~ 6ish (drops lower from CO2 – was 6.5 before CO2 injection)
    KH/GH: ~ 3 – 4° (I think…)
    Ammonia/Nitrites: 0ppm
    Nitrates: 10 – 15ppm
    Phosphate: 2pmm

I do not know the Fe or any of that stuff yet… no test kits yet…

First, I did clear up my green algae water using a UV filter. I also need to really TRIM back a lot of the plants now, I just will not have time until this Sunday…

Look ma, no green water!

Of course, this means the underlying nutrient over balance went somewhere else! I just can SEE it better! Yoinks!

Algae around the Micro Swords

I’ve no idea what this stuff is. It ONLY grows around the Micro Swords, and not anywhere else. You can see how the roots have been pulled up by the cories on the right side. This stuff seems to grow where roots are exposed. I am thinking about just removing this plant as I have the wrong substrate for it.

Also note the fine algae on the substrate gravel…

What Java Moss???

I had a really nice growth of Java Moss here. It turned into some sort of lengthy algae. I have no idea what kind it is as no two sites with photos seem to agree on what is what. It only grows on the Java Moss, though some has ended up tangled in the plants around it.

Java ALGAE detail

Tangled in the Bacopa australis

This algae also likes CO2!

The stuff growing on the Java Moss also seems to make a LOT of bubbles!

My Crypt (is that how it’s spelled?) plants are also doing strange things. All of the pre-CO2 injection leaf growth is “melting” and new growth is appearing, but a darker color. Is this normal?

Old Crypt leaves melting

They have lots of holes, and sometimes just fall off completely. They also produce a lot of bubbles coming out of these wholes and tears.

New Growth on Crypts

New leaves appear to be darker in color and grow large quickly. You can also note some green spot algae on the old leaves near this leaf.

Tiny new leaf

Algae on Stump

This thing has been like this since almost the beginning of the tank. I see a lot of things picking at it, SAEs, groups of Pencilfish, Otos, the Pleco and now Nerite snails all take turns at it. It doesn’t really bother me too much…

Algae on Rocks

I don’t think this is the same stuff as on the wood, it’s shorter and darker and bubbles now that I have CO2 injection. As with the wood, I see everyone graze on it. It too doesn’t bother me too much.

Algae on the Ludwigia

OK, this fuzz DOES bother me! This on the newest growth too!!

Dying Java Fern

My Java fern, which had been doing well, is now turning brown and rotting. The daughter plants seem OK though. Is this normal??? I also have green spot algae on the leaves…

Algae Fighters!

Added a few Siamese Algae Eaters and some Olive Nerite Snails. They seem to be enjoying themselves but I know are not the answer. I still need to get control of the nutrient problem.

Great photos of the "springtails"!

My guess is their eggs were in the soil of a plant, rock or driftwood you put in your tank. It does not appear they are truly aquatic. They would probably prefer to be in a garden!
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast