AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rainforest Farms International...?

Registered Member

Default Rainforest Farms International...?

Anybody done business with Rainforest Farms International? They seem to have a decent selection of fish and reasonable prices. Heres a link to the strain im REALLY interested in...http://www.rfidiscus.com/images/rd.jpg. Rainbow Dragon...looks pretty similar to the White Butterfly pics ive seen, but the RD has more red. What do you guys think??

Registered Member

Default Re: Rainforest Farms International...?

The first discus I purchased was from Rainforest Farms. I ordered 6 and they arrived ill. Delivery was rescheduled several times. Multiple fish were shipped together in one bag. All but one died. In the replacement order, four had chipped eyes. However, one of the 12 fish I got (3 years ago) from RFI is still alive and grew into a really nice snakeskin. (see my avatar). One other fish turned out ok --but it is a cobalt and I never ordered a cobalt. In any event, 2 for twelve is not a good average. I cannot recommend RFI.

Mike
    Last edited by Bainbridge Mike; 04-17-2007 at 05:13 PM.
    Mike Witek
    Napa CA

VQ,
    I have dealt with tommy from rfi many times and all i can tell you that you have to be very direct and let it be known that you know your stuff and ask for specific strains no substitutes. Tommy will get away with as much as he can if you let him; you must be in his face direct and accept no BS. I have orderred adults from him before and honestly thats the only thing i would order from him- this way you can ask for pics of specific fish. I did get one of the best fish i have ever owned from him it was a very nice red based SS female that was awesome and has been my favorite fish ever.
    O

Registered Member

I wish I would of known this back in february....I too was a victim, lost 5 of 6 first week, like a dummy I bought more and he gave me a couple free (haha), they are supposed to be RSG's...I have four that are now grown, 3 have chipped eyes, one is downright ugly with broken bars, the others are just brown. I recently purchased some RSG's and super samurai reds from Larry in Ohio and they are excellent and very healthy.

Default Re: Rainforest Farms Tropical Fish

Quote Originally Posted by hockey2324 View Post
    Anyone ever order Discus from Rainforest Farms Tropical Fish located in IN?
    A previous thread:

Link

Registered Member

Good luck. I had a terrible experience with them many years ago. But, maybe they have new management now.

Registered Member

I ordered from Tom a few months ago---He's really personable and great customer service (2 discus died in the first shipment, and he quickly replaced them). But the discus looked nothing like those on the website, but still ended up being healthy. So I wouldn't order from him again, but it wasn't a totally bad experience either.

Registered Member

If the discus looked nothing like what you ordered, how can you consider it a decent transaction. I would be ticked off. He did that to me 12 years ago. I see he is still at it. I could see me sending blue diamonds to someone that ordered tangerines. My customers would be very unhappy.

Registered Member

The fish he ended up sending were beautiful and healthy, so that's why i said it wasn't a horrible experience. but like i said, i would not order again because I want to receive the fish that I expected to.

Registered Member

To all that are thinking about doing business with Rain Forest Farms and Mac's Discus-BE WARE! I have ordered Discus from both these places and have had bad luck. Rain Forest Farms and Mac's both DO NOT send you what you paid for. They advertise these beautiful pics on their web site and send you something different...edit.... They are literally false advertising. If you are interested in the Rainbow Dragon at Rain Forest Farms, forget it man. I ordered 2 of them and all I got was some orange washed out looking pigeon blood types. I mean they aren't even good looking pigeon bloods. There is absolutely no red in them what so ever. Barely any white. They're just orange and peppered. The pics of this fish on rfi are probably not even their fish. It's one of those "licensed to advertise situations", if you know what I mean. Also, the fish I received were infested with fungus. I got them through it and they are all still alive but they are not the fish I ordered or PAID for. Dont let the breeders/dealers feed you a line of crap about how the colors will come in later as they get older. This is a lie 95% of the time. Everyone who has ever actually raised a clutch of discus themselves knows DARN WELL that discus have developed 95% of their color and markings by the time they are about 3". If you order a Rainbow Dragon Discus and you get it at 3" or larger and it does'nt look 95% like the pic on the web site, YOU JUST GOT RIPPED! The only type or strain of discus that has some late color development are pigeon blood strains. They are also the only ones that pepper to. The Rainbow Dragon Discus is obviously a pigeon blood strain but will still look almost just like it's parents by the time it reaches 3". As far as Mac's Discus goes, the fish were all disease free but all in-bred. Some did not match the pics advertised and the others were dwarfed. I have 2 of them that are 3 years old and still only 3". Their eyes have grown to proper size but their bodies and colors never developed. If you want an honest discus breeder and dealer that sends you what you ordered and looks just like the pic you see on their web site, then you need to visit - Rocky Mountain Discus. com. Al Johnson is an honest man that knows his stuff. You will never have to worry about diseased fish. I've been dealing with them for 3 years and have had not 1 problem-not 1. The 3 breeders I have mentioned in this posting are the only breeders I have delt with. I am sure there may be 1 or 2 more honest people out there but I wouldnt hold my breath. SUPERMAN67
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-09-2008 at 08:50 PM. Reason: editted out speculation on photos

Registered Member

Stay away from Rain Forest Farms. I was ripped off by Tom about 10 years ago ......edit... I was contacted by at least 10 people who also suffered my fate.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-09-2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spec

Real Name
    Steve

I was also ripped off by Tom about 8 years ago after seeing his ad in TFH.
    Steve

P.S. By the way, I also got ripped off by Macs after seeing his ad in TFH. I posted a review in another thread further down if anyone wants to check it out. It's a doozy.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-09-2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: spec

Registered Member

****edit***. I've dealt with Tommy now for about 3 yrs, & I've had no problems with his livestock's health or quality, or the way he represents / sells his animals & merchandise. I bought my entire setup & all my fish from him. A 225 gallon planted Amazon tank with an R.O. system and CO2. I have an Eheim 2260 canister w/ a 900gph pump and 2400 watts of lighting. It is heavily planted and contains about 140 fish including 10 georgeous discus. In the last 3 yrs, I have had MANY problems with my system, mostly as a result of poor local water quality. (liquid rock!!) Tommy has been there for me every painful step of the way, I call him up screaming about some wrong thing or another, and he works with me to resolve the problem, invariably to my satisfaction. RFI is a constant, knowledgable source of live fish, plants, equipment, and answers to my questions that make sense. In the farther past, I've dealt with Mac's and a few others, and had no problems, BUT.... I go where the selection, quality, price, and ease of access is best and simplest. Don't mean to sound like a commercial ****edit** this man is NOT difficult to work with nor does he misrepresent his business. I firmly wish other breeders could or would do what this guy does. If you want healthy, purty discus or other tropicals, by all means try Rainforest Farms Intnat'l. I seriously don't think you'll regret doing so. Good luck to ya!!! T. Rinehart
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-11-2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Personal opinions about the validity and honesty of other members were removed.

Registered Member

My husband and I, are new to the discus world. We really do not know much about these fishes. However, this much we know. My husband and I went to Toms facility and were pretty impressed with his set up. He had an extensive collection and was very organized. We bought several small ones of different strains. So far, they have been very healthy and growing fast. Tom had emailed and called to see how the fishes are doing and if we had any concerns. Now, that is what we call, customer service. If we had to buy more discus, we would not hesitate to buy from Tom again. Thank you for the opportunity to voice our opinion.

Registered Member

I purchased some new fish from Rainforest Farms a little over a year ago and have been very happy with the products and service so far. I was so happy that I have recently ordered more to add. Tom is very helpful and knowledgeable and happy to troubleshoot personally with his customers. Tom is an honest businessman and salesman, with better prices and selection than I have found elsewhere, which is why I ordered from him again even though I relocated... and as for fish arriving unhealthy or dead -that's why RFI has the live delivery guarantee- it sucks that you have to pay return shipping but the bottom line is he will replace the fish if you act right away, and certainly there are going to be circumstances where the fish get roughed up during shipping, its inevitable... I trust Tom to be fair and as long as you provide evidence of your claim he will work with you.
    Last edited by Elite Aquaria; 10-13-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Comments not pertaining to RFI

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast