AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rainforest Farms International...?

Default Re: Rainforest Farms International...?

HI all,
    I've gone thru and cleaned this thread up...There were many posts by people that did not have first hand experiences and were only commenting... Thats not the purpose of this section... If you want to comment on something thats posted here...send the person a Pm or email...

If you have first hand experiences with a paricular vendor then share them here..these can be either good or bad experiences.....be specific as to when the event happened..and if relevant make use of pictures to illustrate your point....

Any comments that are not first hand will be removed from the Live stock and Product Review section of this forum....

Thank you,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

I currently have 2 125 gal. and a 150 gal. and I have been dealing with Tom for about 4 yrs. I have personally been to his hatchery, seen his stock, and purchased fish from him. His is extremely knowledgeable and is very honest in his advertising. He has beautiful, healthy discus and an assortment of other fish and quality supplies. I would recommend Rainforest Farms.

Ive held off posting this for 6 mo. because i wanted to make sure of what i was saying.I bought 10 fish from Tom and was supposed to get 5 different strains,and i paid extra to get 3.5 in fish.As it turns out the only fish that was even close to what i ordered was a pair of gold melons.Nothing else i received is worth having.The fish have grown good and now are 4to 5 in. but ALL are so peppered up they are worthless for breeding.The 10 fish ended up costing me 820.00 dollars with shipping and all.When they arrived nothing was 3.5 they were 2.5 and smaller.Tom is a very nice guy to talk to and gives the impression he really cares and wants to do you right,but im convinced he is not a honest man.I feel bad about needing to post anything bad about another person,but i feel its my obligation to members of this forum.I feel very sorry for any person who goes thru life cheating honest folks just to make a few bucks.What goes around comes around....Some day he will get his!!!!

Registered Member

Default rainforest farms international

Thumbs down. I called him friday looking for altum angelfish of which he had in stock but didnt want to sell me any because my order wasnt large enough and he had some other larger orders he wanted to fill. he said to call back monday and now he claims he is out of them. Why not just say they were all spoken for friday? Instead he was trying to sell me other fish of which i dont need or have room for. I wouldnt ever do business with someone like that or conduct business in that manner.

Registered Member

I have purchased fish from Tom twice in the last 3 yrs, very nice guy and he has some good looking fish. Very communicative and seems to really know what he is doing.

Registered Member

I purchased 18 Discus from RFI in the early to mid 90's...18 Discus...3 strains. ALL turned out to be the same strain of fish...sick from the start...and grew horribly. THE worst Discus transaction PERIOD. I can only hope to meet him one day...as it is a small world...Bill

Unhappy Re: rainforest farms international

bought some discus from them but not good at all

I bought 4 fish from them 2 of them not the same size and after 2 week two of them died only the display picture are nice the fact their fish so ugly

Registered Member born2lovefish's Avatar

I just went and saw Tom's setup this week. I did not buy any discus, but I got some tetras and cories from him. I will say that the bad experiences people are talking about appear to have taken place a number of years back. After talking to him for a while, I think I know why some people had bad experiences with him in the past. I'm not going to go into details, but People can and do change over time. From my experience he is a great guy and has some of the nicest rummy nose tetras I have ever seen and for a great price too!

Registered Member

I doubt he's changed. But tell him if he sends me 18 QUALITY Discus like I ordered from him years ago...or refunds my $600.00+ dollars I will forgive him...Otherwise I will NEVER recommend him or have anything good to say about him...Bill

Your right Bill,he hasent changed one little bit.He called me last week after reading my post.He was civil but was only interested in refuting my statements.He refused to aknowledge that i paid extra for larger fish even though i have the rcpt. showing the exact amount.He made a big deal out of the fact that 4 of the fish were of the blue and purple strain therefore could not be peppered.They werent they were just very black on the heads.and still are,(the 2 survivors)Like Bill i to would never recomend him in any way. Tuck

Registered Member Discus_Dezign's Avatar

Hi all I'm new here. So I purchased my first online order with RFI back in March of 2008. I had 400.00 to spend and I saw RFI who had a interesting discus fish called Rio Red Ica, it is still up on their web page, anyways I placed my order and when the shipment came after I spent a fortune maybe not a lot to others but to me I was still attending school, the discus were not at all like the ones on his web page. These were small and being first time ordering online, I was pissed and just took my unhappy lost. I asked Tom about the discus a month later which he advised me it will color up. I was amped after two months passed by finally posted the picture on DAAH
    ( Discus As A Hobby) and was told by almost all it was a Red Turq so basically I was ripped. I think if your a so-called breeder and want to try and earn a reputation that is a shameless way to go, trying to rip people over the internet. IMO I will never do business with this company ever again and for the discus, 3 died 2 months later and the other just passed away before X-mas so sad. Well anyways I just recievd my new shipment from Sunrise Discus my second online purchase and WOW my GLSSs and GRingLs are totally insane. They were bigger than what I expected and the service I got from Tony terrific, well thats another thread.

Registered Member

I have bought 5 discus from Tom in January 2009. Discus I order are all 3", but they are all small. In person, Tom is a nice guy, but his fish is not. I can hardly tell what my order is because those discus are too small. All 5 arrive alive, but 4 of them dead in one month. Among 4 dead, one has dropsy, 3 starve themselves to death. I am very disappoint with this purchase. Stay away from Rainforest farm international. I wished I have read this post before I made this purchase.

Registered Member

I try to be very fair with everyone I deal with. I think it is pretty obvious that this guy has screwed many people over including myself. I hope anyone reading these posts will pass the word and save others from suffering mine and many others horrible fate.

Registered Member

Cool rainforest international

It seems that there is a great amount of fraud with the online fish dealers. I have had first hand experience with 4 of them now. I ordered Siam Gold from Tom because they are not a pigeon strain and don't pepper but even after discussing this with him I got heavily peppered fish and not nearly the size I ordered. At least some of his photos are out of a book and not actuals and he dodged sending actual photos. While skimming the web I came across the book with the photos. Perhaps that is just the luck of the draw on baby discus. However, of 11 discus I have purchased online none have been the size the dealer said they would be. If there is any lesson it is buy in person and buy at least 3-4 inchers so you know what you're getting. Also never rely on the glowing customer feedback, some may be factual but negatives are never posted except on Ebay.
    Last edited by Elite Aquaria; 04-03-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Removed references to other sellers

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast