ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Rainforest Farms International...?

Registered Member

Default Re: Rainforest Farms International...?

Approximately 1 month ago I visited The Rainforest hatchery in Bloomington, and they had many tanks filled with beautiful and healthy looking discus. I bought 4 fish, which Tom allowed me to pick for myself. The discus today are eating well, growing and show beautiful colors: the stars of the tank. Additionally, Tom has followed up via phone to make sure all is well, and I am a satisfied customer. All of this for a price per fish below that advertised by other on-line breeders. I may, of course, only speak for my own interaction, but as described above it was nothing but positive, and thus Rainforest Farms International receives my wholehearted recommendation.

Registered Member Discus Origins's Avatar

I'd just like to see some pictures of these fish instead of paragraphs of words that don't mean much. Proof is in what the fish look like.
    Mark

Okay, Simply members -- I have edited out most of the past few pages of this thread. This is for first-hand experiences only and the goading and pictures/memes and all that are wholly unnecessary. I get where you're coming from and I have my suspicions too, but as per the rules of this section, every member is allowed to post their experiences whether we agree with them or not.

Having said that, a few things to keep in mind: If you are new to Simply and your first post (or your only posts) are to critique or support a vendor/breeder/importer, please be aware that this will look suspect in the eyes of active forum members. A little participation goes a long way in boosting your credibility. If you really are a discus hobbyist, why not share more about yourself, your aquariums, and your fish? Venture out into other parts of the website, participate in some discussions, and show us that you're not just here to sing the praises (or complain about) a specific company or individual.

It would also be helpful to back up your claims with pictures or videos showing the fish you received. This goes both ways; it could show the quality of livestock/items or the lack thereof. That old saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words" really does hold true in matters such as these.

I will talk to Al and take Hans's suggestion about a minimum post count requirement for this section into consideration. It's probably a good idea, if only to weed out potentially fraudulent claims, made either in support of or against, various vendors.

Registered Member

I happened on this site a few months ago when I decided to begin raising discus fish. I read many threads, including positive and negative about RFI, but decided my risk was low if I could visit the hatchery and pick out my own fish. My "gamble" paid off, and I was rewarded with some beautiful fish at a very reasonable price.

I read the beginning of this thread as a solicitation for all experiences, not just negative, and so posted my own. On a quick scan of this thread I find at least 6 other ringing endorsements for RFI, which makes it seem curious to me that the board believes I would make something up simply because I have not posted before. I assure you I am quite real, and my experience with RFI is real as well.

I am not challenging those who say they had negative experiences. Every business transaction is different, as every person and the way they react to others is different. If my business with RFI had been negative, I would have said so, but nothing could be further from the truth.

I have had two very positive buying experiences with RFI, and one with a local Uncle Bills, and I believe that is newsworthy for discus enthusiasts. I am sure Hans, as an importer, uses reputable breeders, but in our area the price of his fish is almost double RFIs, and for a person of small means, like I, that is something that has to be considered. I certainly am no photographer, but I have a picture of a beautiful White Saphire discus and a beautiful Red Mosaic discus I bought from RFI, which I took with my cell phone, I would be more than happy to e-mail upon request.

Cheers discus fans, Cheers!

I think if this thread is to continue it should be by actual photos and then commentary. It is so hard to judge a seller whether a sponser or not based on words and not actual proof. Until that is supplied we should keep opinions closed.

If a new member is/was reading this, they would not be able to make a rational decision based on what is supplied.

We all know we have some great sponsers here so lets wait until proof is supplied before going forward?
    DiscusLoverJeff

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

Real Name
    Pam

I purchased discus from RFT, they arrived 11/27/13. I was disappointed when I opened the box first because, the water was cold, I did not take the time to check what it was, I felt it was better to get them warmed up. Second, he substituted 2 small Mandarin discus for the larger one I ordered. He had called when he was packing, I did not get the message, telling me he was willing to do this. I think since he did not hear from me he should have shorted the order instead. Third, I ordered dwarf baby tears which were not in the box and I still do not have them or a refund. The two Mandarin were very thin and one did not make it. This order was for: cherry red Marlboro, rainbow dragon, red passion, Mandarin, red snakeskin, gold melon. I have to say these fish ate well from the beginning and have not had any problems even when others in the tank have. I will need to get a photo of the Mandarin today.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Real Name
    Pam

I have attached the photo of the mandarin, sorry it is so blurry but he is a busy little fish and my phone does not track very fast. I also want to add, if I had seen this thread I would not have ordered. I did not and other than the mandarin, the fish are probably worth what I paid. Two of them are like little twins of fish I have gotten from a sponsor here. Would I purchase again? Probably not without seeing photos but my tank is full so it is not an issue. I have posted these photos for others to see what I received. I paid the listed prices on the website. They were suppose to be 3-4" fish which all were except the mandarin which was substituted. It is up to the viewer to decide if they want to place an order.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
    ― Thomas Jefferson

Registered Member

Having read all the reviews from over the years I decided to give Tom, the Owner of Rainforest International Farms, a call. I left a message I was interested in some Wild Discus. He called me back withing an hour and we talked for twenty minutes. He sent pictures of the various wild Discus he had in stock which include some not seen ,at least by me very often. The option of buying 2 1/2 or 3 inch inch baby Wild caught discus is a real plus in my book. They are just doing remarkable well and I can't wait to see how they turn out. Pretty damn awesome!

I bought six 4+inch Manacapuru Royal Red ,5 Rio Jupara Royal 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inch and six Coari Red Spot 2+ . They are all eating well after just six hours of acclimation in my amazon biotype tanks.
    I will try and post some pic's when they settle in a bit more.
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 07-23-2015 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Removed opinion about other posters.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Please continue the discussion about the RFI wild discus in this thread http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...iscus-from-RFI. I moved the related posts to the link thread.

Only first hand experience with this vendor should be posted in this thread.
    Thank you,
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

image.jpgnever again!
    Last edited by Thebake911; 03-18-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Hello, My name is daniel. I just ordered from rainforest farms International before seeing this forum.. Im hoping the issues people had on here have been dealt with and am looking to give my personal experience. I have a 55 gal and 75 gal tank.. I ordered a pricy Large Pink flash blue crawfish and a few guppies and planted tank.. I should have these by thursday and will be back on here with my update.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tracie Vestall

I FILED A LAWSUIT AGAINST THIS MAN, I AM TAKING MR. TOM MEADOR TO COURT!!!, AND IT WILL BE TELEVISED, BE SURE TO TUNE IN, JUDGE JUDY IS INTERESTED IN MY CASE, Not only did I buy 12 fish from Tom, Cichlids, that is, but they came into my tank with ICH, killing 10 of my most prized fish. I hope after all these years, he gets humiliated on national TV in front of 10 million people and that will cut his business down some. Oh and all his pricy fish died as well.

Registered Member

I bought a dozen dwarf cichlids from Rfl, it was suppose too be 4- trios. It wasn't. I ended up with 9 males!, and they all died, and infected the ones I had. I literally had to dose my tank TWICE with Maracyn 2 just to get things in order.
    Not only did they die, but when they arrived they all looked bent, like they were swished as babies. WORST CICHLIDS IVE EVER SEEN!!
    Won't ever use them again!
    Last edited by BrettBeMe; 08-28-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Adding to it

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567