AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 70g h2o - 7 discus = ?? sterbai

Default Re: 70g h2o - 7 discus = ?? sterbai

For those that have never seen how cool a corydoras shoal is here is what I'm talking about
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...hp?image_id=90

You can always cross your fingers and hope is this Mrs Schwartz's Cory, of course I doubt it but you never know with LFS

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/co...?article_id=57

Since you already have them, might as well Q them start at a lower temp and slowly start bringing the temp up( weeks). At ~80F start watching them closely, but I doubt they'll last a full life at 82F and higher.
    You can always trade them with a hobbyist or set up a 10g or 20g just for them, maybe add some Apistos and cards just sand and wood, trust me its more fun than you would expect
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

I love planetcatfish. Yeah, they are schwartzii (I just gave 5 of these to my sister-in-law not 3 days ago). Is anyone else seeing the irony here?? Yes, my hubby bought 13 of what I gave away (to his sister) 3 days ago. Unfortunately, she doesn't need another 13, though when they come out of QT I can maybe talk her into a few more......dang it, I know I need to get sterbaii, but I keep taking losses on this whole discus thing.

When I started in February, I bought a batch of 2" culls. Then, found Simply and returned them. Took major loss here. Bought from sponsor--great fish and price--but still expensive. Then, bought cardinals at a LFS and QT'd them. Most of them died. The few that were left were an expensive treat. Decided I wanted sterbai, and gave the schwartzii I had to sister-in-law. Was very excited to order and even thinking about giving the whole cards thing a try again.

Then, Merry Christmas, here's a bunch of fish for ya. Thanks, love ya, babe. At least he bought hatchets which (I am reasearching) are both from SA and can take a pH of 6.5. Whew! I have talked to two people who are keeping either marble or common w/discus and they seem to like them really well. i was just worried about bioload--but after seeing Hans' picture of a "stocked/packed" tank on another thread I think I will be fine---not to compare me to him, just saying if I keep up with water quality perhaps I can overstock as I want. You never know, I might actually like the hatchets. They play really cute in QT...and I can picture discus swimming in the middle of the tank between corys and hatchets.

ANYWAY.....QUESTION: Has anyone successfully kept a low temp corydoras at 84F? I have seen people mention panda corys on threads and was curious as to the lifespan they have experienced, as planetcatfish lists them in the same temp range. I was wondering if the one variable, temperature, would be that important if all the other water requirements were met.

Sorry for the long posts....I guess I need another hobby...or more tanks to w/c....maybe I'll change my QT into a tank for them...good advice.
    Last edited by dragonlover; 04-25-2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: spelling & clarity
    Laura

Most references to Corydoras panda and 84F willl include further reference to dead and dying Corys. C. panda does best in the mid to low 70's. I stimulate their spawning by a large water change using cold water as the replacement water.

C. schwartzi will not do well above 80F for extended periods. They will be fine in the 75 to 80F range.

I raise and sell more C. sterbai than all my other Corydoras put together because they are among the most attractive, outgoing, and more tolerant of the warmer temps discus require. The fact is C. sterbai is much happier at 80F than 84F.

The best catfish to keep with discus are any of the Hypancistrus species; for example, L260 Queen Arabesque or the Leopard Frog Peckoltia L134. These catfish require the same temperatures as Discus and eat the same foods.
    One of them will eat as much bottom food as six Corydoras and yet few grow much larger than 3-1/2 inches,
    Last edited by Apistomaster; 06-04-2007 at 06:08 PM.
    Larry Waybright

Hi Laura,
    I have been keeping 6 albino cories in my large discus tank for several months now, depending on which thermometer you read my tank is usually 86 degrees, sometimes higher. I don't know if they'll make it for the long haul. Planetcatfish says up to just under 80 degrees for them. I'm hoping they make it, time will tell. They are growing well and seem happy. I have a few in my angel tank which is kept at 76-78 and I see no difference between the two groups of catfish. Around my area you rarely see any type of catfish in the lfs's. And i'm one of those who started with pandas and lost them in a short period of time. My cories will probably never spawn because they need a change to cooler water to initiate spawning, but that's just fine with me. I did not buy them for spawning. They are part of the clean-up crew.
    Debbi

Breeding Sterbai Cories and Long Fin L144 Bristlenose Plecos

Registered Member

[QUOTE=Apistomaster;395465]

I raise and sell more C. sterbai than all my other Corydoras put together because they are among the most attractive, outgoing, and more tolerant of the warmer temps discus require. The fact is C. sterbai is much happier at 80F than 84F.

QUOTE]

Hey Larry:

What is the best way to grow out C. Sterbai? The tank raised Sterbai I have purchased never seem to get as big as the wild ones.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike Witek
    Napa CA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12