ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help with my new lights please!

Registered Member

Default Help with my new lights please!

Just received my Nova Extreme T5 HO lights. They came with 2 10000K Daylights and 2 460nm Actinics. Also has a lunar light. Let me guess, these aren't the bulbs I need right?!! I can't afford to spend anymore right now but if you could tell me what my lighting cycles should be it would be a great help. There are seperate switches for the 10Ks and 460 so should they all be on at once or vary them and do the lunar lights do anything for me? All I'm growing is sword plants without co2 at this point. What bulbs should I get down the road? Will these bulbs get me by for now?

Registered Member

Default Re: Help with my new lights please!

I'm no expert, but I would run the 10K bulbs

I would buy a couple of algae scrapers ! JK my friend. But really ...LOL someone with hands on experience will help out.

Real Name
    Walter

The 10K will work fine. Not sure you would need the lunar. You can use the actinic, but from what I've read and been told, they won't be as useful (in terms of plant growth) as daylight lamps.
    Walter

Registered Member

The 10k's are okay. I would see if where you purchased it from will let you swap the actinic for 6700K's. The combo of the 6700 K and 10K will give you the best balance of light color wise IMO. Lunar lights are for viewing at night and are a nice touch. You should also get some ripple action on the floor of your aquarium from them.

What wattage are the t5's and what size tank?
    How planted are you? Are you dosing ferts and are you supplying CO2?

Those questions will help set you up with a light schedule.

4 x 39wa @~80lumen per watt=156watt, 12480 lu
    ~300 par per bulb not bad either

You have plenty of light with the 4 x 10k only, not my choice for only k but will do especially for want you intend to do now. It should be a long time before you need the extra bulbs with those species and without extra Co2 or nutrients
    trade/sell/give away the 460, although they will support photosinthesis, in my opinion they look horrible with plants and red stuff and will contribute with algae growth. until more ho bulbs are designed for planted tanks, 3000k-6700k is the best right now as far as I'm aware of. BTW, you can get great bulbs for around $20 and no need to replace for 18-24months

never run lunar lights for extended periods of time, not even in Saltwater tanks. There are at least two species of plants that will blacken from prolonged use
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member

"never run lunar lights for extended periods of time, not even in Saltwater tanks. There are at least two species of plants that will blacken from prolonged use."

Thanks! That is good to know.

Mike
    Mike Witek
    Napa CA

I have the exact same light! I swapped out the actinic for I think 6700 K or something daylight bulbs. I have them on timers with the fans. I really like the moonlights at night since they aren't too bright .