AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: faded coloration

Registered Member

Default faded coloration

I recently purchased a stendker discus(red snakeskin) and after bringing the fish home it became dark and began to face the back of the tank, tail stand, etc. I treated in a quarantine tank and used Kanaplex, Metro, and finally some prazi pro. The fish is doing much better and eats anything, has a good eye color, finnage, etc. The discus does not seem to have any rich coloration...the reds and blues are a bit faded, and the pattern is only developed around the head/fins etc. I would say the discus is 4-5 inches. Why is it not showing a full pattern and coloration? What can I do to improve the condition, if it will improve?

Default Re: faded coloration

It could be due to its surroundings or it could be a little immature still. It may well be one of those that doesn't colour up as much as we'd like. Also what you feed it can have an effect too.

If its now healthy and eating well then give it some time, a healthy discus is always nice to look at, even if its not a show winner.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

The discus is an adult but not full sized. When I purchased this one one it was a bit thin and wasted but it's picking up..eating everything. I feed Krill, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, and new spectrum. I have it in a 65 gallon tank w/ 84 watts of lighting which is a mixture of 6500K and the pink full spectrum lighting(coralife T5). I originally had a bright white sand which could have been washing the discus out. I just peppered it with a helping of moon sand to tone it down.
    Just curious. With a 65g with sand, a couple of swords and a driftwood centerpiece, how many discus can I have?

well sounds like you gave it a good chance at a longer life. it might yet..get more colouring. it might still be a teenager. it also might get a big growth spurt with all that good food and care.