AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water pump recommendations

Default water pump recommendations

Hi all,
    I have a small fish room project I would like recommendations on... I recently set up a vegetable garden area adjacent to my fish room..

I need a water pump that I can use to move water from my aquariums to the outside... The pump needs to be able to lift the water 12-15 feet up and pump it a distance of 100 feet max.

Prefer a garden hose fitting.....

Also don't want a a pump that goes into the tank...looking more for a pump that is inline.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Default Re: water pump recommendations

Is this pump going to stay on the one tank? Why I ask is that most inline pumps don't self prime, and it would be easy to contaminate one tank with the water from another or you will have to prime it each tank..

Al,
    I got this one because my water pressure in my house sucks and it takes 3 hrs to clean my 125 gallon. This thing is awesome. There are more powerful ones as well but this one will drain my 125 in under 15 min. It can be in line or in tank. I use it in tank, didn't really like doing in line... but I think thats just my personal preference.

http://www.pondmasterstore.com/home/...__950_gph.html

and here is my thread on it:
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=55408

Amber
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Al,
    I would go with the Iwaki mag drive pumps, thats what I use for my fish tanks and as long as you don't dry run them, they will last forever. Let me know if you are interested in one, I am a master distributor for them and can get you a pretty good deal on one.
    Scott

Registered Member

Here you go I think I found the part you will need to do this with(I hope. been wanting the same thing for awhile) Put this on the end of you cleaning pipe then on a hose to hook to the pump. Make sure you get a pump with high head pressure and a bunch of GPH..

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611760137

Registered Member

You do not want a recirculation pump.
    Sean
    "It is better to be a broken piece of jade than a molded piece of clay"
    125 gal reef, 4 planted tanks, 210 gal and 75 just starting

Registered Member

Swinefka is right you cant go wrong with Iwaki's. Another good option that is very similar (actually made by one of the old engineers for Iwaki) is Pan World pumps. You can usually find these slightly cheaper than Iwaki but of the same quality. But if Swine can get you a good discount i would just go with one of those. Im sure you know all of this but...you just need to figure out what your total head pressure is going to be and how much flow you want through your vegi garden and then pick the right pump.

Registered Member

Hey Al:

I have a 55 gallon barrel out in the yard that I keep full of fish water. I also clean my sponges in the barrel--so the water has lots of nitrates and fish poop. My wife uses it to water her garden and other plants. My wife reports that the plants love it!

Mike
    Mike Witek
    Napa CA

Registered Member

I have a Iwaki mag pump on my reef tank and love it.
    Sean
    "It is better to be a broken piece of jade than a molded piece of clay"
    125 gal reef, 4 planted tanks, 210 gal and 75 just starting

Registered Member

Al,

I have a quiet one high pressure pump I bought when I had ideas of setting up a fully automated water changing system.

Its been sitting on the shelf never been used - I don't have the box though. I'll get the model number for you...

Bill
    Need your taxes done? Ask me I am a Licensed CPA!!!
    Most basic taxes done for $100-$125 including efile!!
    General Accounting and Book Keeping services available too!
    Bill.Eagan@EaganandCompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I need a water pump that I can use to move water from my aquariums to the outside... The pump needs to be able to lift the water 12-15 feet up and pump it a distance of 100 feet max.

Also don't want a a pump that goes into the tank...looking more for a pump that is inline.
    Do you mean that it has to push the water output up 15 feet, or actually lift the input 15 feet?
    If its pushing, take Scott's offer, actually take it either way! Iwaki pumps have a solid reputation, plenty of power and reliability, the only drawback its their price, but since Scott offered to hook you up its worth to check them out!
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member

I ran an iwaki md-55rlt pump for a few months on my reef tank. A solid pump, but too noisy for me to have in my living room. I swapped it out for a pan-world (blueline) pump, and have been nothing but happy with it.

Registered Member

Just to explain why you are going to need the part I showed you. When you have the pump running no matter what one you choose and you are pumping up hill 15" and you turn the pump off all the water in the hose going up that 15" will come back down the hose and back into the tank. with that part I think that will stop the water from being able to go backward into the tank. I have never used that part for this, but I have use that kind of a part in a larger version for some what of the same thing..

What I want is a remote control so I will be able to shut the pump off and on while at the tank and the pump in the other room. Kind of like one of those clapper things, but with a button..

Registered Member

What I would do is get a Rubbermaid tub, drain the water into it, and use an actual sump pump to empty the tub. A sump pump is cheap, powerful, and will shut itself off automatically. They even have them that have hose bib connections right on the pump output. Best of all worlds and is portable easily.
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Registered Member Tropical Haven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by respite View Post
    I ran an iwaki md-55rlt pump for a few months on my reef tank. A solid pump, but too noisy for me to have in my living room. I swapped it out for a pan-world (blueline) pump, and have been nothing but happy with it.
    Believe it or not if you keep Iwaki pumps wide open when they pump they will be a little bit on the noisy side because it will pull a little air in with the water because of its design. If you place a shut off valve on the discharge line just above the pump you can slowly close it down a little until the pump is vitually noiseless. Once that happens, then the pump is operating at it's optimal performance.
    Scott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast