AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Quick question re ferts

Default Quick question re ferts

Just wondering how often Excel ferts should be added to a tank? Daily? Weekly? Tank is set up approx. 2 mos. This question came up in another thread so I thought I'd ask - I'm not doing a planted tank myself. Thanks.
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

Registered Member

Default Re: Quick question re ferts

It depends
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Good answer, Larry!....lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Polar_Bear View Post
    It depends
    Oh, its perfectly clear now!

Depends on what????

A little background - guy seems to be having water quality problems, but it is a newly cycled tank (set up about 2 mos.) and he recently added 4 Discus. There are other fish in the tank as well - 65g. Doing numerous WCs, ammonia/nitrite now at 0, but he did have a nitrate climb which of course had to be after the ammonia/nitrite spikes. After aggressive WCs, nitrate still around 10 ppm. He is putting in Excel in the a.m.'s, daily, I believe. Lots of plants in the tank. He is also using co2. Just wondering if dosage should be daily or not. Too much nutrients into a newly cycled tank?

Was hoping you'd pop in this thread - you are THE PLANT GUY to me!
    Connie
    So Many Fish... So Little Tank Space

I dose daily in a heavily planted 55 gal. at a rate of between full recommended dose and double the recommended dose. If I lower the amount, the bb algea picks up. If I dosed too much the fish respond negatively. I `feel out' a happy medium. I don't have discus in a planted tank so I can't speak on the impact of Excel on discus. Excel is only a small piece of the puzzle, though. I also use liquid and root ferts and a small, diy co2 that may not make much difference. Does your friend have experience with planted tanks? Sounds like a lot to sort out with discus in the tank. I wish him the best. I'm sure it will all come together soon enough. Martha

Registered Member

Excel isn't really "nutrients", it's a carbon substitute. I have no idea why he feels the need to be using Excel if he is already injecting CO2, since they serve exactly the same purpose.

The "it depends" was because you hadn't mentioned any of the things that you had later, especially how heavily planted the tank is. I usually dose every other day with Excel when I used it. There are instructions on the bottle though, which should be followed.

My best advice would be to discontinue using the Excel, since he is already using CO2. Excel is expensive, although IMO a very good product, but I see no reason for it in his case.
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.