ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fish stand for three 33 gallons and a low ceiling?

Default Fish stand for three 33 gallons and a low ceiling?

I have three 33 gallon tanks at 18 3/4 " tall. I only have a limited space available for them. The fishroom ceiling is 77" inches tall. I was just wondering if anyone has a similar set up or ever off setted tanks on a 2x4 stand. I have to put them length way against a wall area. I would like a decent amount of overtank space for cleaning and water changes. Anyone got pictures of stands that might help me out. Thnks Derek.

Default Re: Fish stand for three 33 gallons and a low ceiling?

Sorry if my description was lacking. I was thinking of a stair step stand with the bottom tank and then the other tanks being put back a little farther ..like stairs going up, to allow more space to work on the tanks. Any ideas???

Registered Member

A very long time ago I had a setup like that. It's a niusance trying to get to the top tank when it is in a stairstep, so much so that I made mine so I could climb them like actual stairs. If it were me I would forget 3 and go with 2, one above the other, you simply don't have the height for 3 IMO.
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Registered Member

I agree with Polar Bear that the stair step method is a pain. I have tried this in the past and it was very difficult working on the top tank. And even with this method you will barely have enough room anyways. The clearance in my fishroom is only 75" so I know how quickly you can run out of vertical space.

3 tanks @ 18.75 inches tall = 56.25"
    3 shelves @ 3.5 inches (2x4 on edge) = 10.5"
    Total = 66.75"

So even with the bottom shelf sitting on the floor this only leaves a total of 10.25 inches of additional space to split between shelves, and for clearance above top tank.

Since you have three tanks, a better option may be to have one on the top shelf with the long side facing you, and two on the second shelf with the short side facing you.

Good Luck

Thanks for both of your replies ...guess your right. Just trying to figure out a wa y to squeeze out the most space possible. I will be only stacking two tanks on one stand I think. This is the best for working area and viewing area. Thanks for your honest thoughts and opinions. Have to figure out the layout and get to work,D.

Hi,
    I agree with rockriverfish, you don't have the height needed to stack all three.

I was/am in a simular situation where I wanted to stack tank verticaly but I was working with 15 gallon tanks. Here is what I built.

Registered Member

Hi rlong,

Pretty cool stuff. I especially like the off-set shelving with all the misc. containers. Very interesting minimalist appoach. I don't think I trust my carpentry skills enough for those projects, but it looks like you have some experience in the field.

Good work.

Very nice work...I too like the off-set shelving for supplies. Looks like everything has great accessability.
    "Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get you"