AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Multivitamins in discus food

Default Multivitamins in discus food

Can I use 'A to Z' multivitamin tablets in my heart mix ? One of the ingredients is 'Copper Gluconate'. Though this is a diatery supplement, is it safe with fish ? Those who use A to Z, how many tablets will be sufficient for 1 kg food ? Because I've also read that a improper use of multivitamins can be fatal among fish in long term.
    Deepak

Default Re: Multivitamins in discus food

I want to add a question about using multi vitamins without iron. Is there a reason for this? (Took me a while to find Poly-vi-sol without iron).

Tina

I don't know about fish, but multivitamins in humans should be handled with a little more thought and the preffered consumption should always be in the form of food. Too much vitamins and minerals can pose real serious problems in humans, I imagine it can only do the same in fish if overdosed.

Tina, in humans there is such a thing as complications from to much iron in the system. I don't remember all the symptoms, but it affects ligaments and the blood if I remember correctly. There are also liver poisoning with diets too high in Vitamin A and other complications with overdoses in other stuff. Generally the body can expell the excess, but not everyone is equall, not all doses are equall and the problem is usually long term acumulations of the stuff that triggers the responses.

As far as I'm concerned real food is the way to go, multi vitamins are just supplements when the real thing is unavailable. The multiple feedings should take care of providing enough macronutrients, micronutrients for the body. Just like discus I take 4-5 meals a day

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=40813

Enough rambling for me, Deepak they can be used but I won't speculate as to how much you should use

I remember Al uses those designed for females, since the % contents are lower I think this are better.
    Last edited by Ed13; 06-18-2007 at 12:46 PM.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

I use Boyd's Vita-Chem as a Pellet food soak for my other fish, with good results, and it does not negatively alter the flavor of the food. If anything, it enhances it. I do prefer a vitamin product formulated specifically for fish over one formulated for humans... and cost is a non-factor. A 4oz bottle last for a year as a pellet soak for my Oscar.

One of the few pellet type foods my Discus currently accept is Boyd's Vita-Diet, which contains Vita-Chem.

I have not gotten around, yet, to making my own Beefheart mixture, but I intend to use Vita-chem in it when I do.

What about 'Copper Gluconate' ? Is it toxic to fish as copper ? or is it safe to use in food ?
    Deepak

Copper Gluconate is a chelated form of copper, as such it is fairly safe. It is used as a bacteriacide and fungicide. I suspect the relatively small amounts present in the tablets constitute little risk. I believe the brand of multivitamins I have used is the same one.
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

I just have an undeducated issue with the use of a vitamin that contains chemicals also used in pesticides. Admittedly, Copper Gluconate is used in Vitamin supplements (normally specifically for women). So I agree, there should be no issue. But the thought of adding something commonly used in Pesticides as a food additive leaves a little of the creepy crawly feeling.

Real Name
    Michael Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Deepak View Post
    What about 'Copper Gluconate' ? Is it toxic to fish as copper ? or is it safe to use in food ?
    What can I read on this topic? I am a newcomer. More exactly, my daughter.

Real Name
    Willie

I think one question is why would you add a multi-vitamin to beefheart? Are you aware of a deficiency?

Remember that these hearts come from mostly from dairy cows. This is an animal that can produce 14,000 LB of milk every year (California average). The milk is what we use to raise children and is generally regarded as the near perfect food for them. Is it possible for the heart of this beast to have a vitamin deficiency?

I don't mean this in a mocking manner. But as Ed13 pointed out, more is seldom better. I knew one old line discus breeder who have raised 5 generations of discus solely on beefheart. This doesn't prove that beefheart is the perfect food, but it's unlikely to be deficient in essential nutrients.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

One of Indonesian renown seller "Jagger Discus" recommend me to add Nutrimax in beefheart mix. He told me it will accelerate his discus growth rate, color and breeding. I havent tried it though but he show me before after pic of his clients discus who tried it. I looked into the ingredient it contains coral calcium, omega 6 & 9. I suspect that the calcium has something to do with its rapid growth.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-25 at 09.36.27 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-25 at 09.36.27.jpeg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nadeem

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
    One of Indonesian renown seller "Jagger Discus" recommend me to add Nutrimax in beefheart mix. He told me it will accelerate his discus growth rate, color and breeding. I havent tried it though but he show me before after pic of his clients discus who tried it. I looked into the ingredient it contains coral calcium, omega 6 & 9. I suspect that the calcium has something to do with its rapid growth.

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-25 at 09.36.27 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-11-25 at 09.36.27.jpeg
    Hii Can i have some pic of Nutrimax..is it in powder form or it is a tablet..
    thanks

Registered Member

I buy my vitamins straight from Walgreens or CVS, it has a shelf life, recommended by my late fish doctor, been using it for 31 years, the name is Centrium.

Cliff

Registered Member

I’m using those C3885E29-D35F-4A2E-8846-FCA041938D08.jpeg
    I don’t have before/after photo as im always feeding them the same. I can’t complain about their colors and shapes F5914BB8-A1B7-42C1-9038-B099675D9C6E.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nadeem

They are stunning

This is a very old thread but I agree. The Cobalt's are especially stunning. It's nice to revisit a pic of excellent fish that I saw years ago. You have good taste in Discus, Nadeem.
    Mama Bear