AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fishroom help...ventilation and heating

Default Re: fishroom help...ventilation and heating

From what I found on the internet, which isn't necessarily directly relevant to my own costs it would cost anywhere between $8-$20 to run an air exchanger and upwards of $30 to run a dehumidifier. This is on a per month basis. Now, I'm not sure how it works but looking at the air exchangers on Jehmco's site, I would only need the smallest one as it works for rooms 300-1000 sq. ft. My space will be on the low end of that, if not less. So, that leads me to believe that the air exchanger wouldn't necessarily have to work that hard.

On the other hand dehumidifiers are cheaper up front, but when you're talking about saving the structure of your house and all that...I'm not sure initial cost should really be a huge factor.

So, my next question I guess is this, what does it take to install an air exchanger? Is it a difficult process that I would need to hire someone to do?
    -Karen

Banned

One of the differences in my situation is that the koi house is a separate building and does not have it's own heating system, I rely on the heat from the de-humidifer and the tank heat, to warm the whole building...which is does.

In a house all you're worried about is getting rid of the moisture, so the heat exchanger maybe the way to go even though they are more $$ up front

I would imagine with that many tanks in that small of a space keeping heat in won't be a huge issue. Granted, basements are generally cooler than the rest of the house but with all that warm water in there I'm betting it'll keep the space comfortable. Plus, I'll be heating all the tanks and storage water and such anyway. And the furnace does vent from the unit into that room. Seems like the air exchanger is the way to go.

Any thoughts on ease of installation from anyone?
    -Karen

I have this one in use right now, its really affordable, not as well made as some other ones(plastic shell as opposed to aluminum) but like I said its cheap and can handle a small fishroom. Try homedepot.
    http://www.venmar.ca/Afficherproduit...langue=en&id=2

I have the dual core lifebreath too http://www.lifebreath.com/life.htm their products are excellent too, but more pricey.

Registered Member

I have just moved my fishroom back into the basement, walled off from the rest of the basement. I have installed an exhaust fan of 90 cfm capacity, a small one which is silent and warrantied for 3 years of continuous use, which only uses .3 amps. The purpose is to create a negative pressure in the room so no humidity or fishroom smells can enter the house. I have only used this for a few weeks thus far but I am very satisfied, the winter may tell me otherwise.

I also heat my house with wood, which I have in unlimited supply, so the air I am replacing is relatively cheap to heat and also dry and I am introducing warm air at the same time, that is the winter senario. Time will tell,

Bob.

Registered Member

You have to keep in mind the ceiling height. It sounds like the smallest one would work for you.

Keep in mind with the dehumidifier that little tiny fan isn't going to move much air - for my basement I would need 3 -4 humidifiers to get the job done... at $20-30/dehumidifier its $60-120/month vs. one air exchanger at around $20/month.
    Need your taxes done? Ask me I am a Licensed CPA!!!
    Most basic taxes done for $100-$125 including efile!!
    General Accounting and Book Keeping services available too!
    Bill.Eagan@EaganandCompany.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12