ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Change in the way threads are marked as read/unread

Exclamation Change in the way threads are marked as read/unread

Hi everyone,

For several years we have been dealing with read/unread issues. Sometimes after you have already read all the new posts in a thread, the board will still show that the thread has unread messages in it.

Also, sometimes when you were logged in for a long period of time, the board would automatically mark all threads as read, and they wouldn't show up as new anymore even though you hadn't read them yet.

I know this has been very frustrating for some, but I'm happy to announce that it's been changed. Right now I'm not sure if it's permanent because it may have an affect on the board's performance, but we're going to test it out.

After enabling this feature, you'll probably notice that all threads here on the forum have been set back to new or unread. On the main screen of the forum, near the bottom, please click on the Mark Forums Read link. This will give everyone a fresh start and from that point on, everything should work fine.

This change means that only threads with new replies will show up in "New Posts," and it means that threads that you haven't read yet will stay marked as new until you open them.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Ryan

Default Re: Change in the way threads are marked as read/unread

Thanks Ryan!

-al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

So When you post to a thread, it doesn't come up in New Post anymore...? And when you hit New Posts, it is like "25 out of 425"....I was like..." I must be tired".....! What is going on? lol!

Then I found this thread but I lost it as it did not come back up! I never really pay attention to what section something is posted in, but I guess I will now!

Thanks Ryan for all you do!

If you click the "Mark Forums Read" link on the main page, it will start you out with 0 new posts. Each post after that will show up in your "New Posts" section whenever a new reply is made.

If it doesn't show up, it's because there have been no replies since you last read the message.

The best way to track threads that you've posted in, or that you're interested in, is to subscribe to them. Then you can go to User CP and see all the threads that you're subscribed to and whether or not they have new replies. This is what I do to keep track of threads I'm following.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Smith View Post
    If you click the "Mark Forums Read" link on the main page, it will start you out with 0 new posts. Each post after that will show up in your "New Posts" section whenever a new reply is made.

Ryan, has this always been the case?.....guess I been outta the loop

...but but....it didn't work, Ryan ~ it says " new threads " not posts...or am I just missing something? lol!

Got it
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

Registered Member

Ryan,
    Thanks for your hard work!
    Need your taxes done? Ask me I am a Licensed CPA!!!
    Most basic taxes done for $100-$125 including efile!!
    General Accounting and Book Keeping services available too!
    Bill.Eagan@EaganandCompany.com

Ryan, I hope this new feature is working well for the forums preformance because I really like it! Good job!
    Amber
    Proud single working mother of three.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberC View Post
    Ryan, I hope this new feature is working well for the forums preformance because I really like it! Good job!
    I haven't really seen anything running slow or timing out. I think the performance issues are on extremely large boards with millions of posts. In fact, most vBulletin boards use this feature as their default method. I just never switched to it because I was afraid of the performance issues they mentioned.

I like it as well. No more guessing whether or not you've read (or not read) posts. The thing that used to make me angriest is when a thread would be bold, but there wouldn't be anything new since my last visit.