AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BN's dying

Default Re: BN's dying

Well the one that died from being in the uplift tube for a day or more seemed to be reddened on it's sides, which by the time it died turned black and blue like internal bleeding or something. So I don't know what happened there. None of the others had anything like that.

The remaining three are doing alright so far in the smaller, cooler tank. They have driftwood and a terra cotta pot to hide in and no light on the tank. I'm hoping that if I acclimate them slowly to the higher temps in my discus tanks (around 84) they'll do ok. I'll consider providing something for hiding in the discus tanks for them too. I've been feeding zucchini and Hikari algae wafers for the most part, occasionally Omega One veggie wafers.
    -Karen

Hi Karen,
    I would suspect it was the higher temps too that the little plecos weren't used to. I would venture to say that most bristlenose are kept and spawned/raised in temps of around 78-80. At 1", they are about 8 weeks old and still a bit fragile. You might want to consider getting a terra cotta pleco tube and tying the short variety of java fern to the top to cover the top. Makes an awesome cave for them! And can easily be moved while cleaning the tank.
    Debbi

Breeding Sterbai Cories and Long Fin L144 Bristlenose Plecos

Any updates? I have had the same problem over the years with several batches of BN and ABN. I have always suspected high temps but haven't thought to try very slow acclimation. DUH!

Justin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12