ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Planted tank woes

Default Planted tank woes

My 10 gal guppy planted tank now has no fish. They all died within 2 weeks from some disease I brought in on new fish, however, the cory and BN are fine.
    I know this isn't Discus related, but you all have a lot of experience in other areas of fishkeeping.
    How do I make sure the disease is gone? Can you disinfect a planted tank and not kill the plants? The substrate is Eco-Complete.
    Debbie G.
    planted 150 gal Discus, planted 10 gal cherry shrimp tank, 29 gal. rasbora and danio tank, 29 gal Praecox rainbow planted tank and an empty 29.Hmmmm!

Default Re: Planted tank woes

no not in my opinion, sorry
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Registered Member

Well, Paul disagrees with this I know, but I have found that even high levels of Potassium Permanganate (PP) used in a planted tank will eridicate parasites and not harm plants.
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Well, I hate to tear this little tank up, so I have to try. I do have a "mutt" guppy in another tank that can be the "bell-wether" after treatment of the tank. What would be the dose of PP for ten gallons? I will check Sears and Wal-Mart for the PP tomorrow.
    Debbie G.
    planted 150 gal Discus, planted 10 gal cherry shrimp tank, 29 gal. rasbora and danio tank, 29 gal Praecox rainbow planted tank and an empty 29.Hmmmm!

Registered Member

Debbie,
    I would NOT use PP in a tank with fish in it, at least not as a sterilizing agent. With fish in I always recommend 2 ppm without ever going over 4 ppm. If you are unable to find PP locally you can buy it online at any chemical supply house. But Kordon sells it in an already dilute form that you may find at your lfs, if I remember correctly it is called "Permoxy". Watch your fish closely and always use extra aeration when using PP, also be sure to have Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) or a good dechlor on hand in case of emergency. There is an article with more information on my web site http://www.discusrebels.com/Articles/PP.htm
    There are 10 types of people on this planet; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Rid_Ich+ is also a treatment that, if used as directed, will not be too destructive to plants. I can state that from experience, though a look through plant forums will show you that my experience is not unique. It is an FMG treatment that will kill most external nasties, have a LIMITED impact on your plants, but won't help you with anything internal.
    Steve -
    Discus novice. Planted tank pilgrim.

Quote Originally Posted by pcsb23 View Post
    no not in my opinion, sorry
    I'm with Paul, there is no way to disinfect without killing everything.

Bleach is your friend, especially if you don't know what disease it was.
    When science and magic collide, the story begins.

Registered Member Kindredspirit's Avatar

Hey Deb! I was once told by Dan when I brought home two live plants to soak them in a bucket for three hours and hit them with Formalin to "knock off any nasties"!

I am not sure if this applies to you ~ wait and see what the Powers To Be say

I haven't found a treatments yet that doesn't kill parasites/disease and the plants at the effective doses. Time in quarantine or time without problems in your previously affected tank is usually sufficient.
    Healthy discus are not that easy to infect if you take reasonable precautions.
    Larry Waybright

Thanks Larry, the tank in question was a guppy tank, I lost all the guppies. The tank is being taken down for disinfection and a complete redo. The only guppy I have left resides in the discus tank, she is fat and healthy!! The new guppies that I think had harbored disease had been QTed for a month, oh well! Must be time for nice new guppies!
    Debbie G.

Registered Member

I have this sort of problem with my wife. She see's a fish at the lfs and it brings ick or worse. I tend to buy all the fish for one tank at the same time from the same tank. By doing this the fish get a clean tank, It is the QT tank and their permanent home. This way whatever they had at the store I treet and then I'm done.
    If you can find a good lfs it will help. Almost all lfs import most of the fish. The better ones do their own QT in a back room for several weeks before they go into the retail tanks. Ask, They will tell you what their proceedure is. Most of the chains do not do this but the mom and pop stores sometimes do. Don T.